Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted amber side markers from bumperplugs.com

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 04:49 PM
j080808 is infamous around these parts
Painted amber side markers from bumperplugs.com

I emailed bumperplugs.com a few weeks ago about painted side markers and they got right on it. Today they delivered a set of OEM perfectly painted markers.

The instructions to change the bulbs/markers are in the manual, it’s very easy to do, however getting the assembly in and out is a real PITA. First, there is no slack in the wiring loom and second, the cut out for the back of the assembly isn’t large enough to let the marker “swing” out on the from insert/tab out easily. The result is that the metal clip on the assembly may rub on the plastic bumper edge of the cut out and scuff it up, so take your time installing.

The color may seem a bit off, but I believe it’s due to the fact that I have clear bra on the car and that tends to darken the surface ever so much. Also, Porsche didn’t paint the inside of the cut outs (which is weird) so you can see a ring of black. It’s no different looking than the parking sensors and not a big deal.

I painted my bulbs black to prevent light bleed through, once again, took all of 5 mines and a rattle can.

Thanks Eric @ bumperplugs.com for a job well done!

Attached Images     
Old 03-19-2012, 07:14 PM
umwolverine is infamous around these partsumwolverine is infamous around these parts
Any chance we can just get clear side-markers?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by j080808
I emailed bumperplugs.com a few weeks ago about painted side markers and they got right on it. Today they delivered a set of OEM perfectly painted markers.

The instructions to change the bulbs/markers are in the manual, it’s very easy to do, however getting the assembly in and out is a real PITA. First, there is no slack in the wiring loom and second, the cut out for the back of the assembly isn’t large enough to let the marker “swing” out on the from insert/tab out easily. The result is that the metal clip on the assembly may rub on the plastic bumper edge of the cut out and scuff it up, so take your time installing.

The color may seem a bit off, but I believe it’s due to the fact that I have clear bra on the car and that tends to darken the surface ever so much. Also, Porsche didn’t paint the inside of the cut outs (which is weird) so you can see a ring of black. It’s no different looking than the parking sensors and not a big deal.

I painted my bulbs black to prevent light bleed through, once again, took all of 5 mines and a rattle can.

Thanks Eric @ bumperplugs.com for a job well done!
So you have no side markers at all? Will that draw the attention of LE in your area? I've heard that even clear side markers (with amber bulbs) are not legal in some places -- but I'd assume you'd have to run into a very picky (or po'd) cop to get busted for that. Also -- did you have to leave the bulb in so you wouldn't get a warning light?

Old 03-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by umwolverine
Any chance we can just get clear side-markers?
Bumperplugs.com mentioned they tried to acquire them from the oem folks and it didn't pan out.

Had the clear on my Cayenne and loved them, but then again the Cayenne didn't have turn signals in the front fenders like the Panamera.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Aerodude
So you have no side markers at all? Will that draw the attention of LE in your area? I've heard that even clear side markers (with amber bulbs) are not legal in some places -- but I'd assume you'd have to run into a very picky (or po'd) cop to get busted for that. Also -- did you have to leave the bulb in so you wouldn't get a warning light?
No markers and I can't imagine most if any LE would even realize it or care.

I painted the bulbs black and left them in, I assumed a warning light would happen.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by j080808
No markers and I can't imagine most if any LE would even realize it or care.

I painted the bulbs black and left them in, I assumed a warning light would happen.
Looks sharp. Love the color of your car.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Looks sharp. Love the color of your car.
Thanks Aerodude!

Old 03-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
There are no clears planned. Reason? Because non US Panameras have NO cutout for the light at all. So rather than provide clears like Porsche does on all other models, they just provide the cutout w/amber for US cars. I spent a lot of time with the OEM supplier to Porsche, and we made an offer to commit to x # of units, but they would not do it and did not see any reason to.

So yes, we offer painted, and no, it's very doubtful any LE would be even the slightest bit attentive to a body color sidemarker.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
There are no clears planned. Reason? Because non US Panameras have NO cutout for the light at all. So rather than provide clears like Porsche does on all other models, they just provide the cutout w/amber for US cars. I spent a lot of time with the OEM supplier to Porsche, and we made an offer to commit to x # of units, but they would not do it and did not see any reason to.

So yes, we offer painted, and no, it's very doubtful any LE would be even the slightest bit attentive to a body color sidemarker.

I agree. Although I've heard of LE picking this up. I assume it's more of a case of being extra picky if they want to nail you for something.