Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine oil reached minimum level warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:22 AM
JMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud of
Engine oil reached minimum level warning

Hi, the engine oil reached minimum level warning light came on today, I do not see any obvious oil leakage in engine compartment or on the garage floor.... whats going on??

Old 03-31-2012, 09:56 AM
TexasJake is infamous around these parts
I have had this happen to me twice, first time scared the Crud out of me, second time just aggravated me. So you probably got the yellow color band with the level near the bottom. Just go to the nearest car parts place and pick up a couple of quarts of Mobile 1. Now be careful and only add may 1/4 to 1/3 of the quart to the engine and you will have to drive it awhile before the level will register again, but it will be up in the Green, probably 2/3. Be very careful not to put the full quart in because the full range of the green seems to be less that a quart and you DONT want to over fill the engine.

Second time this happened to me I was halfway through a trip to Austin and back, like 320 miles, started with the level at 1/2 in the green. Leaving Austin for the 160 miles back I get the warning at the Yellow band.

So my 4.8 L engine uses oil, but I can say that with 6000 miles on the engine I have added maybe 1 Quart, so IMO the level range is tight and no dipstick for reassurance. My advice it on extended trips carry a quart in the back and maybe top up the level before you leave. I was surprised twice (and had to scramble to find a shop nearby that sold Mobile 1) I am determined not to do it a 3rd time, so its in the back.

You should be OK just add a bit of oil and plan ahead....Best regards

Old 03-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Taylormade2 is just really niceTaylormade2 is just really niceTaylormade2 is just really niceTaylormade2 is just really nice
If you read the manual, it does a great job explaining the fact that the Porsche engine burns oil and that this is normal. It also clearly states that every mark on the level indicator corresponds to .25l of oil. Therefore, once you've reached the minimun level, you just add a quart of Mobil 1 oil. The minimum mark means that you need to add 1l of oil. Considering 1 quart is just under 1L, you can add the whole quart with no worries.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 PM
cvprez is infamous around these parts
coming from a bunch of japanese cars which never needed oil, this was one of those things I didn't understand either. According to porsche and apparently most German manufacturers burning oil between changes is normal and acceptable so you'll have to keep an eye on it and fill it occasionally.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 PM
JMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud of
Thank you so much, this totally helped to clear my confusion. My P2S is just about 55k miles and the yellow engine reached minimum level light came on. Im in the process of getting some Mobile1 0w-50 oils now.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:27 PM
tjhunts is infamous around these parts
oil

I added a quart at 2900 miles and another 2/3 Q at 7200 miles. Glad on delivery the guy made a point to warn me.

Clearly burning less now then when brand new.