Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Auto - BMW M5 vs Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG PP vs Porsche Panamera Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:14 PM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold

"..90% of the E60 M5 gearboxes failed!.."

"..before commenting about something they obviously know nothing about.."

as before, roll eyes & shake head - tsk tsk tsk

Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MI55LE

"..90% of the E60 M5 gearboxes failed!.."

"..before commenting about something they obviously know nothing about.."

as before, roll eyes & shake head - tsk tsk tsk
As before, you are on a Porsche Panamera forum talking about old BMW's and Cadillacs.

On your off topic subject: still waiting for you to prove CTS-V is more unreliable than BMW E60 M5...waiting...waiting...still waiting...

I believe you have or have had a 2008 M5 (and yes I dont know if its your car) and you probably are a car dealer, so understand why you like to waste your time talking about some old model BMW, but are you even a Panamera owner yet or do you just like to annoy people on a Porsche forum? I dont get why you are not talking about this in a BMW forum?

Last edited by kip; 04-26-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Siswati is just really niceSiswati is just really niceSiswati is just really niceSiswati is just really nice
I find it really sad that whenever there is a forum thread comparing cars from various brands, this sort of exchange appears.

Had good experiences with all three - E55 / CLS55 / M5 /Panny - They are all great cars, all do things a little differently. Some better than others. Some not so good. Never had failures with any. But did not enjoy M5 SMG - makes life unpleasant for passengers, other than that a great car.

Last edited by Siswati; 04-27-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:46 PM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
Kip:

You started this nonsense with your ridiculous posting that "90% of all BMW transmission fail" - SMG and/or other, it doesn't matter. Man up and admit that you pulled that junk out of you-know-where..!

No, I don't own a Panamera - was shopping them but I can't justify the cost (for the only one I would own - a TT) just to use as a weekend car. Why am I here ? I believe having owned 3 Porsches (oh, and 5 BMWs) should allow me to visit, and post, anywhere I care to..

Car dealer - where did you get that (same place as the 90% transmission failure rate, no doubt) - no, no car dealer here

But yes, an "older" M5 is my current weekender - an '08 - with SMG and I absolutely love it

By the way - the post above saying that an SMG transmission made it uncomfortable for their pax puts a smile on my face - sort of like Top Gear saying it's "jerky" - ya gotta know how to drive with it - what settings with what conditions and it's as smooth as any other auto transmission

Urgent business away from computer but will return if something else needs to be said - oh, I didn't say the CTSV was unreliable (there ya go, putting words down that you've pulled from you-know-where....)

Old 04-26-2012, 04:02 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MI55LE
Kip:

You started this nonsense with your ridiculous posting that "90% of all BMW transmission fail" - SMG and/or other, it doesn't matter. Man up and admit that you pulled that junk out of you-know-where..!

No, I don't own a Panamera - was shopping them but I can't justify the cost (for the only one I would own - a TT) just to use as a weekend car. Why am I here ? I believe having owned 3 Porsches (oh, and 5 BMWs) should allow me to visit, and post, anywhere I care to..

Car dealer - where did you get that (same place as the 90% transmission failure rate, no doubt) - no, no car dealer here

But yes, an "older" M5 is my current weekender - an '08 - with SMG and I absolutely love it

By the way - the post above saying that an SMG transmission made it uncomfortable for their pax puts a smile on my face - sort of like Top Gear saying it's "jerky" - ya gotta know how to drive with it - what settings with what conditions and it's as smooth as any other auto transmission

Urgent business away from computer but will return if something else needs to be said - oh, I didn't say the CTSV was unreliable (there ya go, putting words down that you've pulled from you-know-where....)
Still dont give a **** and you are still off topic.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Guys - take it down a notch, please. Thank you.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:49 PM
kip
Finally full scans:

Credits Dede@Germancarforums

Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Radiation Joe is infamous around these parts
I think the take-away from the M5 transmission discussion is not that 90% of BMW SMG transmissions fail in M5s, but that BMW relies more heavily on it's customers to perform longevity and driveability testing.

All one needs to do to confirm this is to go to the M3Post forum and read about the M/DCT transmission debacle. I had to connect a data logger to my car before BMW would stop denying that the trans was a POS.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ct+lag&page=60

Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe
I think the take-away from the M5 transmission discussion is not that 90% of BMW SMG transmissions fail in M5s, but that BMW relies more heavily on it's customers to perform longevity and driveability testing.

All one needs to do to confirm this is to go to the M3Post forum and read about the M/DCT transmission debacle. I had to connect a data logger to my car before BMW would stop denying that the trans was a POS.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ct+lag&page=60
Would you understand if I'm too scared to click on the link and read that?

Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 PM
1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold1SICKLEX is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Radiation Joe is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Would you understand if I'm too scared to click on the link and read that?
I understand that just reading a negative double clutch transmission article voids the GTR warranty.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I understand that just reading a negative double clutch transmission article voids the GTR warranty.
Well played!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:46 PM
MIA997TTBeast is infamous around these partsMIA997TTBeast is infamous around these parts

Or that thinking about changing the wheels to aftermarket will void the warranty, sorry jasper but I had to say it

Please correct me if I'm wrong, my friend and I read it in the manual and I was in awe.

Is it true?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by MIA997TTBeast
Or that thinking about changing the wheels to aftermarket will void the warranty, sorry jasper but I had to say it

Please correct me if I'm wrong, my friend and I read it in the manual and I was in awe.

Is it true?
If you're being serious, no, it's not in anyway remotely true. I was told that about the Shelby GT500, from both an owner and the dealer, though. I was skeptical, but have no reason to really care.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:02 PM
MIA997TTBeast is infamous around these partsMIA997TTBeast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
If you're being serious, no, it's not in anyway remotely true. I was told that about the Shelby GT500, from both an owner and the dealer, though. I was skeptical, but have no reason to really care.
The day he took possession of the car he brought it to the house and we were checking out the manual.

I could've sworn that I read that and him too, we were surprised. Something about altering the suspension settings and wheels and warranty.

Maybe that's we read, or misread. You know better than me for sure.

The new I think '13 GT500 will be wicked fast and nice looking if you ask me. 650HP? Mid 11's, man I wouldn't mind this beast.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sport Auto - BMW M5 vs Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG PP vs Porsche Panamera Turbo S