Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Replacement-- Mix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 AM
donfenn is infamous around these parts
Tire Replacement-- Mix?

I have Panamera S with Porsche Turbo 20" wheels..My front Pirelli P Zero OEM tires are just about gone at 18,000 miles, but the rears still have most of their tread, as they were replaced under tire warranty relatively recently.

I was considering putting Michelin Pilots on the fronts rather than starting over with the OEM style Pirellis, but since Porsche makes a big deal about tire fitment and ratings I am curious if the mixing of brands on front and rear axles is advisable.. I am just curious about other's experience with tire replacements and/or mixing of different tire brands/models on front and rear axles

Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
I believe you should change the whole axel at a time and they dont recommend mixing probably because different tires behave differently. Have no experience in the matter.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:27 AM
umwolverine is infamous around these partsumwolverine is infamous around these parts
One of the first things you learn on the track is there is nothing more important than your tires. You never want to mix different types of tires.

The car is designed to operate with 4 tires that have the same characteristics in terms of grip, steering response, braking, wear, etc. If you mix tires, you change the balance and handling of the car, and it's never for the better.

I would sell the Pirellis and get Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around. The difference should be significant.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM
JMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud of
Do not mix tires!!!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:08 PM
asfwp is infamous around these parts
Would you guys get tires installed at the dealership or outside shop?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by asfwp
Would you guys get tires installed at the dealership or outside shop?
If its a respectable tire shop they no more about tires than dealers. They usually use the services of an outside tire shop anyway. I use the same tire shop than the local dealer uses for their cars. The tire shop has to know about locking the air suspension etc. Ask the dealer who they use.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:59 AM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
1st.....DO NOT mix tires

2nd.....I WILL use my local dealership to install, balance and align - I maintain a good relationship with them (I've got a complete set of new, sitting in the garage and will have them mounted after my "summer driving trip" (got a good price on them))

Old 04-26-2012, 07:04 AM
f_klo is infamous around these parts
Apart from sport auto testing the PTTS recently with Michelin Pilot Supersports there is no such info that they fit our cars yet. As all reputable tire shops would recommend sticking to the Porsche 'N' rated tires, anymore info on the Michelin PSS's?

Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 AM
kip
Originally Posted by f_klo
Apart from sport auto testing the PTTS recently with Michelin Pilot Supersports there is no such info that they fit our cars yet. As all reputable tire shops would recommend sticking to the Porsche 'N' rated tires, anymore info on the Michelin PSS's?
You have understood this wrong. The tires in the test were N0 Michelin PSS. Not the same as in the M5, check the scan in the test. So they are recommended.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 PM
f_klo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kip
You have understood this wrong. The tires in the test were N0 Michelin PSS. Not the same as in the M5, check the scan in the test. So they are recommended.
But i havnt found a single site or tire shop that has any info on that tire yet

Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
As long you are changing them in pairs (the front or rears) and you are selecting a tire that is of comparable rating (ie high perfomance summer etc) you should not have any problems. With all the electronic track nannies in a Panamera, they will compensate for the differences in handling characteristics.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:36 AM
kip
You are right, Michelin suggests PS2 even on German web site although they state that Pilot Super Sport was developed with Porsche, Ferrari etc. I think they pushed the tire for this test. Id contact Michelin directly.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:37 AM
kip
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
With all the electronic track nannies in a Panamera, they will compensate for the differences in handling characteristics.
They will also slow you down and wear out your pads.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:40 AM
JAX GT3 is infamous around these parts
Super Sports are widely available at Tire Rack.

They are a FAR SUPERIOR tire to all others.

30,000 mile limited warranty, 300 wear factor.

This tire will be rated by Porsche in about three years; Porsche is very slow to test new tires. Ferrari installs as OEM.

Make your choice!!

Cheers, JohnnyB

Old 05-28-2012, 04:59 PM
kip
In the newest PGTS test by auto motor und sport it is tested with Michelin pilot super sport so I guess Porsche is in the game:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...amera-gts.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Replacement-- Mix?