Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Look of the Panamera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 PM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MI55LE
I personally don't care for the rear of the Panamera (nor the vision to the rear from the drivers seat)

Would like to see it and BMWs 6 series Gran Sport side by side
BMW's are elegant, but the issue with BMW is at a certain price point...you're paying a lot for an acceptable tourer with minimal brand value.

Porsche still has some. Its in between BMW and Ferrari say.

Greats cars though, BMW.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:25 PM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by NelsonF
I was not enamoured with the looks of the Panamera when it first came out and had been contemplating a new M5 as I had owned 4 previous generations. However, after testing out a couple of Panamera models, I was impressed wtih the driving dynamics and overall feel. When offered a terrific deal on a turbo, I went for it. The car has a presence that is unique and I too am impressed and surprised by the favorable comments I've recieved. I've grown to enjoy it more in the last few weeks of ownership and find the whole experience of the car quite different from the other sedans that I've owned or tested. I can't wait to get through the break-in period. Sometimes its good to change up the status quo. Thanks for surprising me Porsche.
There you go. At the end of the day if you're happy, thats what matters. Its just a car! So much more going on in life.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:25 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
I know this is personal taste, but this is the newest Ferrari has to offer:

Is this really a good looking rear end?

It reminds me of the RX-8

Id take the panny anyday...

Last edited by kip; 05-27-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by kip
I know this is personal taste, but this is the newest Ferrari has to offer:

Is this really a good looking rear end?

Id take the panny anyday...

LOL Kip...nice one! Yea, quite an ungainly Ferrari...and rather expensive too, I blv its 100K more than the 458...which is a pretty little thing.

Yea, it really is personal. I mean honestly speaking, (we are really splitting hairs here)...Porsche doesn't have the nicest looking cars. But thats like saying, eating at a 2 star Michelin resto isn't the same as the full 3 star. I mean seriously...much more to life.

Reality is, on the balance, the 911, panamera, cayenne...are great vehicles cars for a decent price, reliability is there, they drive very well...among the best in their class. And thats enough to make me happy! Too many other things going on in life! In the end, I think I'll likely slot a GT3 or Carrera as a weekend car and call it a day. Of course one needs free weekends for that to happen =)

I know you do like your Turbo though, nice motor in that car!

Edit: It does look like an (empty) uterus back-end on that ferrari! Nasty stuff.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
I really didn't like the Panny when it came out. Even as far back as a week ago I was not a fan. But then I drove one. P4S, so not even a turbo. WOW!!! There's no going back. It drives like a Porsche should. Totally legit. And I want one.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:30 PM
asfwp is infamous around these parts
I like the way it is. From certain angles I wish it looked different, but overall, it works, better in person than in pictures.

Definitely gets more attention than I'd anticipated, even in L.A.. Often gets parked out in front for valets, which saves time when picking it up and sometimes even money. In the past year I've seen more and more on the road, so Porsche did something right.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:24 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TheRox
Front end is ok...but the back isn't elegant, started to realize that as the one year mark approached. But whatever, Porsche is practical and all that.

The 911 isn't exactly a looker either, its an acceptable sports car with a retro look. Such is life.

Reality is, neither the Panamera or the 911 will be dated much in 5-10 years time...so there is a benefit to this old/quirky styling. Compare that to an Audi...Audis look dated in 3 years, the R8 already looks old and dull and any of their passenger vehicles look ugly if you haven't leased hte latest and greatest model. Fad exterior design.

I like the way Ferraris look...but realize Porsche is practical. And for a box of metal with four wheels, thats just fine. Its a personal thing.

As for other people noticing the car -- A zonda is ugly, but people will still notice it. The Panamera is relatively expensive and somewhat exclusive (even in Cali where people have no doubt taken out 2 or 3 mortgages to keep up with the Joneses), looks unique so it will draw attention and has a nice badge with pedigree attached to the hood. Its kind of a cool car.
You think a Zonda is ugly?
Or did you mean Honda?

I agree with your thoughts about "fad" designed cars. That's why I love the Pan. Outside of the box styling but still elegant and sporty. Ferrari copies the theme with its FF. Who's next?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:07 AM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
I can see why some people may like them, but the Panamera's design is not for me. Yes, it is different and unique in it's styling but I feel there are better looking sedans on the market. It just looks like a bloated spaceship to me...IMO.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:43 AM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PaulChristian
I can see why some people may like them, but the Panamera's design is not for me. Yes, it is different and unique in it's styling but I feel there are better looking sedans on the market. It just looks like a bloated spaceship to me...IMO.
agree

it boils down to what people like and where they want to put their $s - doesn't matter what others think, mommas and daddys will alway love an ugly baby

Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM
CTAudiFan is infamous around these parts
What makes Porsche and Ferrari special is that they do not bow to convention, nor are they trying to make their cars look like anything else. Every Benz looks the same, every BMW looks the same and every Audi (save the R8) looks the same. Doesn't make them bad, by the way, just a tad boring. While the 458 is generally regarded as a beautiful design, I applaud Ferrari for the California, F12 and even the FF. In the end, it's what's under the skin that counts, and both companies have consistently delivered the goods. The Panamera isn't a beautiful car to look it, but it is a beautiful car to drive, and that's what matters the most.

For what it's worth, I absolutely love the new F12. In 50 years it will be regarded as a masterpiece. And if I start saving now, I'll be able to buy one in roughly 200 years.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:41 PM
aalencar is infamous around these parts
I believe the problem is that it is not a very photogenic car. My Panamera GTS is my second Panamera. I love it and cannot see myself driving anything else now. Sometimes I look at some pictures and wonder "how can I like it? it does not look too nice". But when I look at it in my garage, gosh, it is a gorgeous car. It is really the presence in person that drives so much attention. Combine it with the captivating sounds from the GTS and you definitely have an exotic in hands.

Last edited by aalencar; 05-29-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-31-2012, 06:39 AM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
since this is a beauty contest....

I'll present this - now THIS is BEAUTY :

Old 05-31-2012, 07:10 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
I personally hate Fiats and really Ferraris arent pretty, racy and sporty yes, except maybe the classic ones 250 gto, I like the California etc. but mostly IMO they arent that much prettier than Porsches.

Now Astons and Lamborghinis are pretty IMO.

And the photos dont imply that Ferrari is an unreliable car, its just a photo...

Last edited by kip; 05-31-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:54 AM
vitaman is infamous around these parts
I'm driving a White Hybrid while the Dealer is sorting out a Ceramic Brake issue on my new Cayenne Turbo.
I love the looks and if I didn't need more room, would buy one in a heartbeat. Great looking car from every angle.
It does make me appreciate my PDDC and Ceramics however. Porsche knows what they are doing when it comes to handling dynamics.