Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Look of the Panamera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 AM
umwolverine is infamous around these partsumwolverine is infamous around these parts
The Look of the Panamera

I can honestly say that I thought there was much that could be improved about the Panamera's looks, and there is still definitely some work that could be done. From some angles the car does look a bit ungainly. The roofline transition to the hatchback is definitely awkward. The butt end of the car could certainly be trimmed - possibly this has been addressed in the upcoming facelift. Compared with a car such as the new M5, there is certainly much to criticize in terms of classic appearance.

However, I am just stunned by the number and degree of compliments I've received about the look of the car. I've come back to the car a dozen times with somebody walking around it, and several times they've asked to take a picture. I had one of the first M5's in Ohio, and certainly got a few looks, but this is getting close to what you see with an exotic car. It's actually not something I was looking for.

I think, in the same sense that there is no 'ugly' exotic, the uniqueness of the Panamera's looks more than compensates for what it may lack in conventional styling.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by umwolverine
However, I am just stunned by the number and degree of compliments I've received about the look of the car. I've come back to the car a dozen times with somebody walking around it, and several times they've asked to take a picture. I had one of the first M5's in Ohio, and certainly got a few looks, but this is getting close to what you see with an exotic car. It's actually not something I was looking for.
I have gotten a little tired of the fingerprints (beer on one occasion) on the car from people looking at it while its parked even behind a corner and camera phones filming all moves. I thought this car would blend in with all the Audis here, but it just doesnt. Most of the people are nice and car freaks, complementing and asking questions, but then there are the annoying ones. This interest in the car is the only reason why I was thinking of going back to a regular car like the M5 or future RS6.

Just to understand living in a small country, here is what happens to a Ferrari 458 in afternoon rush hour traffic in Helsinki :

Old 05-24-2012, 10:00 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
I think it looks fine just the way it is. It looks so Porsche-ish up front but as you view front to back it becomes a new or set-apart creation. In other words it's very unique. I am tired of cookie-cutter designed cars and appreciate the uniqueness of the Pan to the utmost.

More, it has a road presense that surprised the heck out of me. In a crowd of cars on the road, it stands out.

Put on a nice set of 22's, it becomes exotic. Especially the turbp model. I love it.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:56 AM
ddk632 is infamous around these parts
I can honestly say that I thought there was much that could be improved about the Panamera's looks, and there is still definitely some work that could be done. From some angles the car does look a bit ungainly. The roofline transition to the hatchback is definitely awkward. The butt end of the car could certainly be trimmed - possibly this has been addressed in the upcoming facelift. Compared with a car such as the new M5, there is certainly much to criticize in terms of classic appearance.

I think, in the same sense that there is no 'ugly' exotic, the uniqueness of the Panamera's looks more than compensates for what it may lack in conventional styling.
Hi - new poster here Actually been lurking for a couple of weeks since I test-drove a Panamera S and have been obsessing over one ever since, but decided to actually register so I can post in reply to this thread.

I've never been a Porsche fan - always loved BMW since my first manual '93 325i (and MB for the Wifey) - until the Panamera. Respect the racing heritage and the prowess of the 911, but just never saw myself really driving one.

Here in South Florida there are tons of every kind of car around, to the point of Bentleys blending in with Hondas, particularly in Boca Raton. The Panamera is definitely unique and turns heads. It turns my head every time I see one, and there are quite a few of them down here as well. That uniqueness is what got me into a Porsche dealership for a test drive, and now making plans to get one in the next few months.

I am one who actually loves the look of the Panamera as is, and would not change anything. I love the rear end - I think it makes for a muscular look and is undeniably Porsche (from the perspective of someone who is not a die-hard Porsche fan but an "average person" in that regard).

Even the roof line is perfect to me; if it were to be more sloped, from purely an aesthetics point of view, I think it would detract from the muscular look of the car. The MB CLS has that look, and while a beautiful car in its own right, it does not convey the same presence as the Panamera.

It's definitely a love-it or hate-it design, but for me personally those are the best designs. The original Hummer (which became H1 after GM took over Hummer) and the BMW X6 are other examples of what I'd consider love-it or hate-it designs - there are people who, myself included, can say that these are beautiful cars, and those who think they are the definition of ugly.

While I agree that some angles look better than others, that can be said of any car. I had an X6 and sometimes I'd look at it and think, man she's gorgeous... other times I'd think, wow it looks really ugly from this angle (the side profile to be specific). I guess you could chalk it up to 'character' but overall it's about taking the good with the bad... I like the character of the car and the exterior styling plays a large part in that overall image.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:07 PM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Panamera

I was not enamoured with the looks of the Panamera when it first came out and had been contemplating a new M5 as I had owned 4 previous generations. However, after testing out a couple of Panamera models, I was impressed wtih the driving dynamics and overall feel. When offered a terrific deal on a turbo, I went for it. The car has a presence that is unique and I too am impressed and surprised by the favorable comments I've recieved. I've grown to enjoy it more in the last few weeks of ownership and find the whole experience of the car quite different from the other sedans that I've owned or tested. I can't wait to get through the break-in period. Sometimes its good to change up the status quo. Thanks for surprising me Porsche.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:09 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
For a mother the Baby is ALWAYS pretty. The Panny is obese when looked at it from to 3/4 rear view. Sorry but that's the truth. I hope the next version will gain some more sexiness. There is some work to be done for sure to get rid of the "egg" shapes in the rear part of the car.. Just hope they keep Chris Bungler or was it Bangle away from this car.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:18 PM
umwolverine is infamous around these partsumwolverine is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hroussard
For a mother the Baby is ALWAYS pretty. The Panny is obese when looked at it from to 3/4 rear view. Sorry but that's the truth.
Same can be said for the 911. Without that ugly hump in the rear, the Cayman is the much better looking car.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:58 PM
supercup is infamous around these parts
I never liked the look from the side, still don't. But when I am inside driving I don't car what it looks like. The shape creates space and usability inside, but that does create some blinds spots in rear viewing. But the mirror are excellent.

From many angles is it a great looking car, from other's not so much. But in the end the overall dynamics of the car have overwhelmed any other nits I might have about the car. Love my Turbo!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:06 AM
cvprez is infamous around these parts
I too thought the rear was a little odd at first but it has grown on me and I now respect it for what it is. I get tons of compliments and camera phones - more than I got with my Jaguar XKR (which is a gorgeous shape) - i think people in the know appreciate it for what it is - the best all around 4 seater made!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
My wife (who is not a car enthusiast at all) told me she saw a "white Porsche sedan" on the road the other day and she thought a it was one of the "most beautiful cars she had ever seen".

The Panny's look is certainly appreciated by a lot of people.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:11 AM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
I personally don't care for the rear of the Panamera (nor the vision to the rear from the drivers seat)

Would like to see it and BMWs 6 series Gran Sport side by side

Old 05-25-2012, 10:03 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
We had a 10 P4S and it drew all kinds of positive attention whenever we were out in it. People taking pics of it all the time. Parked, in traffic moving or at a stop light it didin't matter. It was almost to the point of being obtrusive. We have had 60+ cars over the years of all makes and models and NONE of them drew the kind of attention the Panny did. FWIW, when I sold it, the car sold in 2 DAYS and sold for almost what we paid for it! There has always been a very vocal minority who pan (pun intended) the Panny but sales figures and personal experience tells me they are definitely wrong....

Here is a pic of my previously owned P4S (now in Russia):

Old 05-25-2012, 03:31 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
All mothers think their babies are pretty.. Even this one...

Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2012, 07:54 PM
requieml is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hroussard
All mothers think their babies are pretty.. Even this one...
that is a beautiful car....

Old 05-27-2012, 01:17 PM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about

Front end is ok...but the back isn't elegant, started to realize that as the one year mark approached. But whatever, Porsche is practical and all that.

The 911 isn't exactly a looker either, its an acceptable sports car with a retro look. Such is life.

Reality is, neither the Panamera or the 911 will be dated much in 5-10 years time...so there is a benefit to this old/quirky styling. Compare that to an Audi...Audis look dated in 3 years, the R8 already looks old and dull and any of their passenger vehicles look ugly if you haven't leased hte latest and greatest model. Fad exterior design.

I like the way Ferraris look...but realize Porsche is practical. And for a box of metal with four wheels, thats just fine. Its a personal thing.

As for other people noticing the car -- A zonda is ugly, but people will still notice it. The Panamera is relatively expensive and somewhat exclusive (even in Cali where people have no doubt taken out 2 or 3 mortgages to keep up with the Joneses), looks unique so it will draw attention and has a nice badge with pedigree attached to the hood. Its kind of a cool car.

Last edited by TheRox; 05-27-2012 at 01:20 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Look of the Panamera