Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any other 1 hour commuters in a panni

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:45 AM
aalencar is infamous around these parts
I'm got grade 3 spondylolisthesis; my lower spine bulges out so far it left a dent in the seat of my previous two cars. So far no dent in the Panamera standard seats; they are quite firm and comfortable even without lumbar adjustment.
Please, don't get me wrong. The standard seats are great. But once you use the 18-way seats you realize how much better it can get.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:49 PM
hummerchine is infamous around these parts
Good to know...if I ever go fully insane one day and get the Turbo S of my dreams, I'll get the 18 way for sure!

But for now, I'm pretty dang pleased...no, make that ECSTATIC...about my car!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:04 AM
supercup is infamous around these parts
I have a Panny Turbo with standard 14 way power seats. I find them very comfortable. They are not as comfortable as the seats in my wifes X5M or my buddy's S63 Merc. But the ride quality of the PTT is significantly better than my previous E60 M5, which had seats that were very comfortble.

My daily commute is 35 minutes each way, but road quality is very good. I think the 22" wheels have a real impact on the ride quality, more so if you don't have the air suspension (which is not standard in your V6).

I find an uncomfortable seat is usually due to pressure points where you sit. I do have some points on my PTT seats that I don't like how the hit my thighs, but I seem to be able to adjust around it no problem.

Good luck finding the right balance.

If you want comfort you can't beat the S class or the Alpina B7 (great seat/ride combo).

Old 06-10-2012, 07:39 PM
asfwp is infamous around these parts
Compared with Lexus or the Mercedes S, the Panamera is much firmer. Over long stretches of rough roads, the S class glides more comfortably, feels less bumpy, and has less road noise. That said, my commute is 30-50 min each way depending on traffic and the 14-way seats have been excellent. Over several 5-hour drives, the seats have been fine, though I did have to sit a little higher or a little lower from time to time.

Before buying the car I test drove them with 18", 19", and 20" wheels. With each inch of increased wheel diameter, the ride gets just a bit firmer. In the end, I went with the 18" for the most compliant ride, because the handling was good enough. (though the larger wheels definite look better, but that's the trade-off)

A car I test drove had ventilated seats and I actually found that to be a tad firmer than seats without ventilation. So when I ordered mine, I had the ventilation removed, even though it came with the option package. I've always wondered if I imagined the difference or if it was real. In SoCal, especially now that summer's here, the ventilation would definitely be a welcome addition. If anyone has experience with both ventilated and non-ventilated seats I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:59 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I have a 25 mile commute each way and used to commute my 2011 CTT with the 18way seats. They were Ok, no complaints. But now I got a E350 bluetec with massage seats and 40mpg, and when I was deciding each morning which car to drive to work, I usually chose the Mercedes. The CTT was tuned to over 600hp but my commute to work is a very boring straight drive, no need for high performance and bad MPG. For DD, get a comfortable luxury cruiser with good mpg. They make a S class bluetec now.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:39 PM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about
Wow...a one hour commute? Didn't know those existed. I see annoyance developing after 20 minutes, no traffic.

Anyways, the Panamera isn't that great over 1 hour; Mercedes S Class and 7 series are more comfortable and just plain better over the one hour.

Panamera is enjoyable in short bursts almost like a sports car. Its def tilted towards the sporty end.

The S Class is the best overall car for luxury and being practical. If you want to be micheal schumacher, the Panamera is good - but one hour in that car with the dodge/choppy PDK (1st and 2nd gear) and involved ride can leave anyone annoyed.

On a Sunday though, no four door beats the Panamera for a stint. Also consider the 5 series, its not too shabby; they car has finally matured towards comfort a bit so its practical to use over an hour.

Last edited by TheRox; 06-13-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:29 PM
aalencar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TheRox
Wow...a one hour commute? Didn't know those existed. I see annoyance developing after 20 minutes, no traffic.

Anyways, the Panamera isn't that great over 1 hour; Mercedes S Class and 7 series are more comfortable and just plain better over the one hour.

Panamera is enjoyable in short bursts almost like a sports car. Its def tilted towards the sporty end.

The S Class is the best overall car for luxury and being practical. If you want to be micheal schumacher, the Panamera is good - but one hour in that car with the dodge/choppy PDK (1st and 2nd gear) and involved ride can leave anyone annoyed.

On a Sunday though, no four door beats the Panamera for a stint. Also consider the 5 series, its not too shabby; they car has finally matured towards comfort a bit so its practical to use over an hour.
Well, it really depends on what you are looking for. IMHO the Panamera is extremely comfortable even in long drives - the longest was around 7 hours (1 full extended range tank) on comfort mode with no issues at all. The "luxury drive" of the S class or 7 series is really not for me. The PDK does not annoy me a bit. Drive them all and choose your cup of tea.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:18 PM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by aalencar
Well, it really depends on what you are looking for. IMHO the Panamera is extremely comfortable even in long drives - the longest was around 7 hours (1 full extended range tank) on comfort mode with no issues at all. The "luxury drive" of the S class or 7 series is really not for me. The PDK does not annoy me a bit. Drive them all and choose your cup of tea.
Haha, yep. Cars are a very personal thing.

I mean honestly, debating between an S Class and a Panamera..two 100 K+ cars, each capable in their own way - is almost like splitting hairs.

The Panamera is most definitely acceptable and extremely fun/desirable over 7 hours (longest I've done is 9).

Old 06-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Ya know, I may have to downgrade my previous comments about the standard seats a bit. I just drove to Seattle from Wenatchee and back (2.5-3.5 hour drive each way, depending on traffic and where you are going). As much as I dearly love my car, the standard seats do make my butt sort of go numb after driving for quite a while. Feels great on my lower spine, but not so much on the butt. Does make me wish for the higher end seats...but not enough to trade it in!

Old 06-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Anybody know if you can upgrade the seats in a Panamera?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:31 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
I saw a thread about this, but I believe no one answered the question. I just saw a 997 tt adaptive sport seats been replaced by some kind of race cup seats, but that was from more high tech to less and in this case its the opposite. But it seems the electronics are in the seat so I would think its possible?!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
My dad has that one hour commute to work and couldn't take the seats in the Panny anymore so he chose to get a S63 for the commute.

Anyone know if the seats can be changed to the GTS seats without much work?