Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help deciding for 2010 Panamera Turbo versus 2013 CLS63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 AM
m3smg is infamous around these parts
Well, I drove the Panamera again and it just feels too big especially in traffic.
I think I may go the CLS route but now I have to find a good deal as my local dealer wants MSRP...
Thanks for feedback guys

Old 10-24-2012, 07:28 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by m3smg
Well, I drove the Panamera again and it just feels too big especially in traffic.
I think I may go the CLS route but now I have to find a good deal as my local dealer wants MSRP...
Thanks for feedback guys
Very strange... The Panny feels big when you look at it, but once you get moving it feels not like a 911, but more like a Corvette. ALL Mercs Ive driven feel initially boat like and after you drive them more, you notice they are deliberately made that way, like you are driving a limo, even when they handle like a sportscar. The faster you go the smaller the Panny gets, I can only understand your feeling if you drove sort times in the city and the car doesnt have adaptive steering. No way a Merc beats that. AMGs have other qualities I like more (sound, sound, sound), but defenately not more nimble.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:42 PM
You are correct that I drove in town and not on highway. I did not like the slight hesitation I get from the PDK from a stop and I do not understand why the car starts in 2nd gear. I tried all sports and suspension mode and could not get it to start in first??? Am I missing something?
I agree that there is less body roll when taking corners in the Panamera in sport mode but it is not that discernible. I am in Florida so no canyon carving.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:44 PM
keith27 is infamous around these parts
You are correct that I drove in town and not on highway. I did not like the slight hesitation I get from the PDK from a stop and I do not understand why the car starts in 2nd gear. I tried all sports and suspension mode and could not get it to start in first??? Am I missing something?
I agree that there is less body roll when taking corners in the Panamera in sport mode but it is not that discernible. I am in Florida so no canyon carving.
I thought that was in Comfort mode only, but I could be wrong. It's designed that way to be more comfortable/better fuel consumption I'd assume?

Old 10-24-2012, 05:20 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
The problems you mention are typical of city drivers. You can adjust the chassis irrispective of the mode you are in. I sometimes drive sport gearing and comfort chassis.

PDK adapts to your driving. Your car has been driven too nicely. If you drive slowly, the gearbox adapts also in sport mode and sometimes you need to change to 1 manually. However in sport+ mode it always starts in 1st, so thats what I use if I need to haul ***.

Id give it another go, try the highway and try the sport+ mode, however, remember it also allows some sideways action then! You also need to mash the throttle, not feathering like rwd cars, I sometimes forget it. In my old E55 AMG you had to careful apply power, so you dont lose grip, here you need to kick it to get overboost and instant kickdown. It really is a clever box, you just behaved to nicely, so it returned the favor.

The hesitation comes, I presume, from the stop-go automatic that shuts the engine off in comfort mode. In first gear there should be no hesitation.

If you are still not convinced, press sport+ and press the brake pedal with left foot, then press full throttle with right foot once stopped engaging LC, then release brake. Your world will never be the same again, just be careful.

Last edited by kip; 10-24-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:38 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
KIP - thanks so much for that incredible write-up... I almost decided not to get PTT because of 2nd gear start and how "sluggish" it felt under normal mode. Although, it's disconcerting to see cars like S6 and S8 breaking into mid 3 0-60s for far less money.

Originally Posted by kip
The problems you mention are typical of city drivers. You can adjust the chassis irrispective of the mode you are in. I sometimes drive sport gearing and comfort chassis.

PDK adapts to your driving. Your car has been driven too nicely. If you drive slowly, the gearbox adapts also in sport mode and sometimes you need to change to 1 manually. However in sport+ mode it always starts in 1st, so thats what I use if I need to haul ***.

Id give it another go, try the highway and try the sport+ mode, however, remember it also allows some sideways action then! You also need to mash the throttle, not feathering like rwd cars, I sometimes forget it. In my old E55 AMG you had to careful apply power, so you dont lose grip, here you need to kick it to get overboost and instant kickdown. It really is a clever box, you just behaved to nicely, so it returned the favor.

The hesitation comes, I presume, from the stop-go automatic that shuts the engine off in comfort mode. In first gear there should be no hesitation.

If you are still not convinced, press sport+ and press the brake pedal with left foot, then press full throttle with right foot once stopped engaging LC, then release brake. Your world will never be the same again, just be careful.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 PM
The car does not have the chrono package so it does not have the sports plus button by the gear lever, just the sport button. However when I clicked the suspension button twice (2 lights), it did say sports plus in the instrument cluster but the car would still start in second gear???
The car is a 2010 so I do not believe it has engine shut off but I could be wrong.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:37 PM
tonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of light
The car does not have the chrono package so it does not have the sports plus button by the gear lever, just the sport button. However when I clicked the suspension button twice (2 lights), it did say sports plus in the instrument cluster but the car would still start in second gear???
The car is a 2010 so I do not believe it has engine shut off but I could be wrong.
The suspension button will not adjust shift timing, only the stiffness of the suspension and ride height.

I believe without the sport chrono package, you can only start in first gear by manually shifting down.

Comfort: Gear 2-7
Sport: Gear 2-7, though you need to be driving pretty fast to achieve gear 7.
Sport+: Gear 1-6, it won't achieve overdrive and you gain launch control.

Last edited by tonyep; 10-25-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 PM
kip
The engine shut off was standard from the beginning. Sport + starts in first gear and sport also most of the time. Sport chrono only give the clock and 10s of overbost, nothing else.

Here is a 2010 owners manual. Browse through it:
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...amera_PCNA.pdf

Old 10-27-2012, 09:57 PM
medici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud ofmedici78 has much to be proud of
Looks like you can add the Sports Plus now. This is a big deal and you don't have to have the dash wart to get it:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...newproductpage
The CLS won't feel any smaller, btw.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Yes, I just noticed the thread about the sports plus and asked them if this is also adding the temporary boost in launch control.
I did drive the CLS and IMHO the CLS feels about as nimble as the Porsche. Somehow, I am used to a more open ****pit and I feel cramped in the Panamera. Getting in and out is also more of a chore than the CLS.
The interior of the Panamera does feel more kuxurious and I really like the one piece bucket seats.
However, the exhaust note of the CLS draws me back and it is new car versus one that is 4 years old.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:41 PM
keith27 is infamous around these parts
Sounds like you want the CLS

Old 10-30-2012, 03:41 AM
jasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud ofjasonrhcastle has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by keith27
Sounds like you want the CLS
Agreed. Sounds like you are trying to want to like the Panamera.

Nothing wrong with liking, wanting a CLS. I almost got one. I also almost got a S8. However, when I "downgraded" from my CTT to my GTS I wasn't sure I would like the move from a Turbo to a NA engine.

Couldn't be more happy. Have really enjoyed every moment in this car. All wheel drive is great. I just had my ScottoZero tires installed for winter. I have 2 inches of snow on the ground. Gonna see what this bad boy does.

Get what you want. Don't worry about anything else...

J

Old 10-31-2012, 12:33 PM
rbspeed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kip
The engine shut off was standard from the beginning. Sport + starts in first gear and sport also most of the time. Sport chrono only give the clock and 10s of overbost, nothing else.

Is there a link available for the 2013 Panamera owners manual including the GTS? Thanks.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 PM
MIA997TTBeast is infamous around these partsMIA997TTBeast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kip

The Sport Plus mode gives you overboost, faster gear shifting, the gas pedal responds quicker to inputs, PDCC suspension follows suit as well as PASM.