Need help deciding for 2010 Panamera Turbo versus 2013 CLS63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:16 PM
m3smg is infamous around these parts
Need help deciding for 2010 Panamera Turbo versus 2013 CLS63

Here's my dilemna:
2010 Panamera Turbo with 20 inch wheel. No sports chrono.MSRP was 153K
I am close to a deal for 98K (trading the C63 for 38)
http://www.naplesmotorsports.com/veh...oor+sedan.html
2013 CLS63 with options is $120K and dealer is giving me 7% off so that means about 112K.
I test drove the Panamera and the power is astonishing for a car that heavy. It handles unbelievable for its mass. The exhaust tone is subdued but for about 2K, I can add a Tubi or similar exhaust that should remedy that problem.
I could not test drive a CLS63 but I sat in one and started the car.
I feel the interior of the Panamera to be superior to the CLS.
Difference is about 14K and I think in a few years, I will lose less on the Panamera as it has taken the blunt of the depreciation already.
On paper,the P car is faster than the Benz.
I know that a tune will make wonders with the new CLS but I could do that as well on the P car.
Look is subjective so no need to point out that the Panamera is ugly to some.
I am more looking for people who have owned either car to give me some feedback.
I live in Florida so roads are pretty straight.
Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 PM
disden is infamous around these parts
To me warranty is always important, so on that alone I would lean toward the MB if planning to keep the car awhile.

On a side note, Why aren't you looking at new GTS? Same price, and I personally like my GTS better then my prior Pan Turbo.

Last edited by disden; 10-22-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
In one year the amgs will have awd and 557bhp if the rumors are correct. Then they will smoke everything out there.now Id take the Panny, its just cooler.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:36 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Actually if Im honest, Id take the one with the warranty. Car quality seems to be crap these days despite the marque.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
warranty is key

Old 10-22-2012, 09:03 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
My suggestion would be to test drive the CLS to make sure you make an informed purchase. No sports chrono would be a deal breaker for me.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:07 PM
dhh
I think a warranty is important but the rear seat of the cls is useless and was a deal breaker for me - besides all the new Mercedes look like something like all the AMG stuff is just bolted on - they don't flow like the panamera. Tough call for you - maybe a newer Panamera GTS would work for you

Old 10-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
MBs aren't the iconic cars they used to be in my opinion. In many respects, the competition...Porsche, BMW, Lexus...now surpasses MB in terms of reliability, engineering, style, and performance. Personally, I would choose the GTS or the 4S over the Pana Turbo, particularly in this case where it's pre-owned. In any event, I would insist on test driving the MB before shelling out that kind of dough. Tough choice...good luck with it!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:42 AM
m3smg is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the comments, fellows. I will go check with the dealer to see how much would an extra one year warranty be. The car is under warranty till November 2013. I plan to keep the car for about 2 years until a GenV Viper ACR comes out.
I cannot find a dealer that has a CLS63 to drive. I have a C63 and drove the E63 so I think I have a good feeling what it is all about.
It is interesting that a few of you are recommending a GTS. If I can get a Turbo for less than a GTS, wouldn't that be the better choice? I will add an exhaust to wake up the car. What else does the GTS have that I am missing?
This car is like new inside and out (13K miles in 3 years).

Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 AM
kip
There is a gts fan club n/a lovers and a turbo lovers fan club, we dont agree Chose yourself what is most important for you, for me always ptt>pgts

Old 10-23-2012, 11:10 AM
kip
Techart PTT 0-300km/h 37.6s

Last edited by kip; 10-23-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:15 AM
disden is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by m3smg
Thanks for the comments, fellows. I will go check with the dealer to see how much would an extra one year warranty be. The car is under warranty till November 2013. I plan to keep the car for about 2 years until a GenV Viper ACR comes out.
I cannot find a dealer that has a CLS63 to drive. I have a C63 and drove the E63 so I think I have a good feeling what it is all about.
It is interesting that a few of you are recommending a GTS. If I can get a Turbo for less than a GTS, wouldn't that be the better choice? I will add an exhaust to wake up the car. What else does the GTS have that I am missing?
The key is that the GTS would be a new car with 4 fulls years of warranty, not a 3 year old car with a one year left of coverage. I love the Panamera, so certainly that would be my choice. I have had both the Turbo and the GTS, can't go wrong with either one. Each one has its plus/minus compared to other. GTS just seems to be at that price point you are looking at, a new Turbo isnt (although the 2012 leftovers are getting pretty reasonable.)

Old 10-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by m3smg
This YouTube clip may provide some answers as to why the GTS...

Old 10-23-2012, 12:40 PM
dhh
Originally Posted by disden
The key is that the GTS would be a new car with 4 fulls years of warranty, not a 3 year old car with a one year left of coverage. I love the Panamera, so certainly that would be my choice. I have had both the Turbo and the GTS, can't go wrong with either one. Each one has its plus/minus compared to other. GTS just seems to be at that price point you are looking at, a new Turbo isnt (although the 2012 leftovers are getting pretty reasonable.)

Agreed - price point is the key for the GTS vs PTT. A warranty is a key issue. With the 2014 facelift about 8 months away maybe it would make more sense to grab a 12 mo lease off lease trader - there area few S63's and Maserati's around for 12 months. Then make the call with the new Panamera body style. Lastly - I have owned both a 4S and a PTT and there is zero comparison between the two. It is all dependant on finances if it works get a PTT - if not get a car that fits the budget best. The 4S was a great car until I drove the PTT.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:21 PM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kip
Autibild just tested this car an got.

630bhp 880nm torque

0-100km/h 3.5s
200 11.8s
300 37.6s

1/4mile 11.51s

These are almost identical with the PTTS, except we dont have a 300figure for it as we only have a sport auto 40.8s on a wet track.

So tuning a PTT is an option for PTTS, but it costs 32000e so actually as much more as a PTTS...

One does not have to spend quite that much to improve a Panamera Turbo's performance beyond a PTTS. For less than $4k for a good ECU program will work. I've done it with my PT along with exhaust and intake mods. I'm very pleased with the increased power, not to mention smoothness and improved spool characteristics. The video below is just with ECU programming and everything else stock, it puts power down well. Not bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0cU...=results_video

Last edited by NelsonF; 10-23-2012 at 02:39 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding for 2010 Panamera Turbo versus 2013 CLS63