Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it normal for the car to start in 2nd gear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 AM
brian sherwood is infamous around these parts
Is it normal for the car to start in 2nd gear?

Just got my GTS and it is a great car. However, I have noticed that in comfort and sport mode, the car will start in 2nd gear unless I switch to manual and downshift to 1st.

When I am in sports plus mode, it starts in first gear. Is this normal, or can you override that feature so it will only start in 1st, no matter what mode?

Old 10-26-2012, 07:29 AM
cvprez is infamous around these parts
That's normal, and I think you'll find it's more than adequate for everything but a drag race.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:31 AM
cvprez is infamous around these parts
As a side note how do feel the panamera compares to your previous MC stradale? I was looking at one as a toy, I know it won't be as fast as my PTT but it's such a pretty car and I would like driving a coupe from time to time.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:05 AM
brian sherwood is infamous around these parts
The Maserati is a great car. Beautiful, great exhaust sound and nice handling. However, the GTS blows it away in handling and has an exhaust note that is equal to the Maserati. Power wise- the GTS is faster, even though the tranny on the MC was great the PDK is better.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 AM
phil612 is infamous around these parts
Normal in standard mode, pop it in Sport + Manual and it'll start in first. I reminded myself just how fast the Turbo is today with a quick blast up the cogs changing at around 5K... Blindlingly fast. I should warn the kids next time though

Old 10-26-2012, 02:38 PM
asfwp is infamous around these parts
My understanding is that even though the gear indicator shows 2 in comfort and sport, the car always starts in 1st gear still. Correct me if I'm wrong.

When you accelerate from a standstill, there's a subtle unevenness in the power delivery within a second of stepping on the gas. That's the 1st-to-2nd gear shift.

The reason the gear indicator always starts in 2nd is that the indicator changes about half a second (or less) before the actual shift takes place. If the indicator showed 1st gear, it would have to change to 2nd the moment the car starts moving. But that's not the case with sports plus because the first gear is held longer. That's my theory, at least.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:35 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by asfwp
My understanding is that even though the gear indicator shows 2 in comfort and sport, the car always starts in 1st gear still. Correct me if I'm wrong.

When you accelerate from a standstill, there's a subtle unevenness in the power delivery within a second of stepping on the gas. That's the 1st-to-2nd gear shift.

The reason the gear indicator always starts in 2nd is that the indicator changes about half a second (or less) before the actual shift takes place. If the indicator showed 1st gear, it would have to change to 2nd the moment the car starts moving. But that's not the case with sports plus because the first gear is held longer. That's my theory, at least.
2nd gear starts in 2nd gear.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:29 PM
phil612 is infamous around these parts
It's 2nd, you can feel the clear take-off / torque difference in the body.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean but try launching from 1st gear. The feel is completely different and you can tell it's a 2nd gear, not 1st. This is not something new in Panamera. I believe all automatic Porsches do this.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:35 AM
asfwp is infamous around these parts
thanks for the clarification. that's really interesting - i'll have to try launching from first and see.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Pana is infamous around these parts
I would LOVE to launch in 1st while in Sport Mode

I love my PTT but I wish it would NOT use 2nd gear for launch in Sport Mode. There was more than one occasion when I first got the car that its "sluggishness" took me off guard and almost caused a problem.

Launching in 2nd is "normal, and I think you'll find it's more than adequate"
Not for me. BUT, for daily driving, Sport+ is plain uncomfortable.

I want the driving experience of Sports but the launch of Sports+.

Does anyone know if there's any sort of tweak to change this behavior?

"Sorry" for reviving an old thread!

Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Pana
I love my PTT but I wish it would NOT use 2nd gear for launch in Sport Mode. There was more than one occasion when I first got the car that its "sluggishness" took me off guard and almost caused a problem.

Launching in 2nd is "normal, and I think you'll find it's more than adequate"
Not for me. BUT, for daily driving, Sport+ is plain uncomfortable.

I want the driving experience of Sports but the launch of Sports+.

Does anyone know if there's any sort of tweak to change this behavior?

"Sorry" for reviving an old thread!
take the PDK shifter, move it over to the left and put it in first as you sit at the light - voila - 1st

Old 05-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Pana is infamous around these parts
Thanks Cpa4S.

I've tried several techniques but none are what I'm looking for.

I'm used to stick in my vette but if I "go manual" as you suggest(and I'm cool with that) the rev's pique SO fast in SUCH a short amount of timethat it's tough (for me at least) to manage and effect a smooth launch. Also,my workload on a quick launch is taken "inside the ****pit" and awayfrom my surroundings where it needs to be. This is where Sport+ excels.

I've also tried switching to Sports+ for the launch then switching to Sportsmode just after hitting the gas but the transition is awkward both physicallyand from a performance standpoint. The system seems like it's not designed for such rapid mode changes.

I've also tried "paddling my way" to first while stopped in Sportsbut again, the transition from manual to automatic, while less awkward, still resultsin high revs through second gear.

I want a less lethargic launch without the continued high revs of Sports+.

Last edited by Pana; 05-10-2013 at 05:32 PM.