Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Cracked/Shattered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Dallas991 is infamous around these parts
Sunroof Cracked/Shattered

So three weeks into my 2013 Porsche Panamera Turbo purchase and I get to my car in the parking garage at work in the evening to discover my sunroof is cracked/shattered, there is a hole a few inches wide and glass in the interior.

I immediately assume vandalism, except that is the ONLY damage. We run tape at work that doesn't show my car, but shows the entries/exits and nothing suspicious.

Is it possible that my sunroof shattered on its own? Anyone have any thoughts? It doesn't add up that someone holding a grudge would just smash my sunroof...and since it doesn't look like the person I suspected did it, it means either someone random went into our basement garage and singled out my car OR somehow my sunroof cracked on its own...

Any thoughts?

Old 10-30-2012, 11:52 PM
AndyLH335 has a spectacular aura aboutAndyLH335 has a spectacular aura about
Or maybe some debris from the ceiling fell down? Sorry to hear...good luck on repairing.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 AM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
There was a recent post re a X5 pano roof that shattered too without reason - the folks speculated that something fell on it while they were driving. This is really a rare event in all my experience with moon roofs, but I would hate to be the person beneath the roof when it does break!

Any photos?

Cheers,

Old 10-31-2012, 01:20 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
The smash point should be visible as round circles around the impact point. Although you cant be sure 100%. My audi q5 shares a lot of Porsche parts due to VW ownership. Audi q5 s had a lot of problems with cracking sunroofs. If I remember extreme colds are not necessarry for cracking, based on owner forum comments. I wouldnt be surprised if same sunroofs were used... Sorry to hear it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/02/2...ring-sunroofs/

Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 AM
toughluck is infamous around these parts
There are reports of a number of BMW owners reporting similar issues where the sunroof may shatter without any 'external source' intervention, either driving or parked. The problem surprisingly happens often to newer cars. My theory is it is a problem with how the moonroof is installed at the factory (design tolerance), combined with either changing temperatures (inside and outside).

Good luck though in your research as I am not a mechanical engineer.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515758

Old 01-15-2014, 11:45 AM
G-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant future
A work colleague of mine had his sunroof shatter spontaneously while driving down the highway. No rock or road debris, just shattered.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:46 AM
G-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant future
His Cayenne diesel is only a few months old, & has only had a bit of time on the road.