Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo hesitation/surging/bucking - HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:28 AM
teutonic GT2 is infamous around these parts
Turbo hesitation/surging/bucking - HELP

My '12 PTT has a hesitation/bucking type behavior until about 3500 RPM. Felt in any gear, but most noticable in 4th or 5th accelerating from 2k RPM. Feels like something is interfering with ignition or fuel. Far from smooth acceleration. And nothing to do with turbo lag.

No CEL or fault codes. Dealer initially noticed it, but now says it's normal. Grrrr.

Just for reference, coming from an GT2, M5, M3, 993, Turbo 3.6, etc. And many race cars.

Anyone experience anything like this?

Old 12-01-2012, 02:39 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Check my thread, it was from dig though. It was fixed after turbo recall and oil temp gauge change, dont know what really fixed it. I also had turbo boost 0.1 bar even
when the engine was warm at idle, check for that.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ok-my-ptt.html

Old 12-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Fellow Turbo owners please comment.

Put your car in manual 4th gear and accelerate (preferably up an incline in road) starting at about 2k rpm until about 3k rpm.

Do you feel any jerking or is it smooth?

Old 12-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
By 2k RPM, it should be smooth. I can't really help you without feeling what your talking about. Could you post a video ? It might be of some help. Also if the dealer won't pursue it I would try writing Porsche or try a different dealer as it seems to be a big problem.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 PM
I don't think a video would be able to show the hesitation. It's something you feel, but it's not visiually evident.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:14 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by teutonic GT2
Fellow Turbo owners please comment.

Put your car in manual 4th gear and accelerate (preferably up an incline in road) starting at about 2k rpm until about 3k rpm.

Do you feel any jerking or is it smooth?
I think, your speed, the mode you are in(comfort, sport?), etc, would be helpful...

Old 12-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by kip
I think, your speed, the mode you are in(comfort, sport?), etc, would be helpful...
Mode has no impact, it happens in regular or sport and sport plus.

I don't think speed has any impact either, but most noticable in 4th gear accelerating from about 2k rpm. So about 35 mph up.

The key is rpm. It only happens below about 3500.

I can only describe it as brief cuts in ignition or fuel. Like something wrong with the ECU mapping.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:30 PM
kip
Mode has no impact, it happens in regular or sport and sport plus.

I don't think speed has any impact either, but most noticable in 4th gear accelerating from about 2k rpm. So about 35 mph up.

The key is rpm. It only happens below about 3500.

I can only describe it as brief cuts in ignition or fuel. Like something wrong with the ECU mapping.
Havent noticed anything like this, I allways drive shell vpower, what octane do you use? I used to have similar problems with my M5, the air mass flow meters were gone. I believe dirt sandy roads can make them go sooner. When accelerating it felt like traction control was intervenening, when in fact it wasnt. BTW How do you get below 3000rpm in sport + mode, I think it never has happened to me.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Are there any fellow turbo owners in the Southern CT or Westchester area that would be willing to drive my car to see if this is a "normal" condition?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:28 PM
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
You describe what sounds like a missfire. Surprised there is no help or info from the dealer.

Mike

Old 12-19-2012, 01:09 AM
CTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of light
Maybe what you're feeling is the sensation of boost building up in mid range?

I drove a CT in 2006 and it was noticeable to me. My 12 CT does the same, so I guess it is normal.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:33 AM
I have owned many Porsche turbo's and other turbo cars (modern and old school) '76 turbo, '94 turbo, '97 turbo, GT2, CTT, etc.. What I am describing is not boost building, but a shuttering and hesitation of the engine (mild, but noticable ...). Like an old school carburated car that's not quite tuned right at low RPM (think 2.0l 911 with Webers at 2k RPM).

No fault codes stored, so the dealer is lost ....

Old 12-19-2012, 10:48 AM
kip

This is the problem I have experienced This too.
Nowadays I don't take the car to the shop unless it has a definate error code or visible fault or someone has had a similar problem fixed, otherwise it is a waste of time.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:47 AM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
I have owned many Porsche turbo's and other turbo cars (modern and old school) '76 turbo, '94 turbo, '97 turbo, GT2, CTT, etc.. What I am describing is not boost building, but a shuttering and hesitation of the engine (mild, but noticable ...). Like an old school carburated car that's not quite tuned right at low RPM (think 2.0l 911 with Webers at 2k RPM).

FYI, I have no problems under the same conditions with my 11PTT. I've tried it with my switchable stock and higher power ecu programming from GIAC and have no hesitation. Fuel quality?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:58 PM
kip
Phil612 says there is hesitation in his turbo, check this thread, Id post the question there too. It might be his wrong ecu software that is causing it...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l?#post3721844

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo hesitation/surging/bucking - HELP