Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi S7 or Panamera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 04:47 PM
hummerchine is infamous around these parts
Sounds like a great plan to me! Much as I LOVE my 4S, I'm sure I'd love the S7 too! And I'm big into...well, big trunks. That's hugely awesome!

Btw, get the B and O stereo upgrade! My wife has an Audi Q7 with it, and it sounds amazing! I have the Burmester with also sounds amazing...I think even better than the B and O (although very close); she thinks the B and O sounds better. Trust me, they are both worth the cost...unless you are not that into fantastic sound, in which case neither are worth the cost.

Last edited by hummerchine; 12-24-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:49 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by inbyten
I think Audi's AWD system is superior to the Porsche AWD system in the rain and snow (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Merry Christmas all!
Not true, they are both one of the best in the world, however, they are very different, also depending on the model.
:

Audi uses very different types of AWD in different models: Smaller models A3 etc. have a HALDEX system.
Normally front-wheel drive vehicle. A Haldex Traction LSC unit may divert up to a maximum 100% of the torque to the rear axle as conditions warrant. Many people find the torque distribution on Haldex Traction systems confusing. Under normal operating conditions, the Haldex LSC clutch operates at 5% (divide 5% between front and rear, and 97.5% torque goes to the front, and 2.5% goes to the rear). Under adverse conditions where both front wheels lose traction, the Haldex clutch can lock at 100% clamping force. This means, that since there is no torque transferred to the front axle, all torque (minus losses) must be transferred to the rear axle.

Bigger Audis have a Torsen differential. Audi replaced a manually locking centre differential with the Torsen (torque sensing) .This allowed engine torque to be automatically directed to individual axles as driving conditions, and grip warranted. Under 'normal' conditions (where grip in both front and rear axles is equal), torque is split between front and rear with a 'default" 50:50 distribution in many, though not all, versions. In adverse conditions (i.e., when there is variation in grip between front and rear), a maximum of 70-85% (depending on the transmission, or model of Torsen diff) of the engine's torque can be directed to the front or rear axles.

New quattros also have torque vectroing (as the new Porsches):
The torque vectoring system is similar to systems used in some powerful front-wheel drive cars, except that Audi’s technology acts on all four wheels. If slip is detected on the more lightly-loaded inside tyres during cornering, they are braked slightly. This generates a yaw moment to stabilise the car.

Porsche system is also very intelligent:

Fitted as standard on the Panamera 4, Panamera 4S, Panamera GTS and the Panamera Turbo models, Porsche Traction Management (PTM) comprises an active all-wheel drive with electronic and map-controlled multi-plate clutch with automatic brake differential (ABD) and anti-slip regulation (ASR). The electronically controlled multi-plate clutch regulates the distribution of drive force between the permanently driven rear axle and the front axle. Through continuous monitoring of the driving conditions, the electronics are able to respond to a variety of situations. Sensors check, among other variables, the rotation speeds of all four wheels, the longitudinal and lateral acceleration of the vehicle, and the steering angle.

If the rear wheels threaten to spin under acceleration, a greater proportion of drive force is distributed to the front by a more powerful engagement of the multi-plate clutch. In addition, ASR reduces wheel slip. When cornering, the front wheels only ever receive as much drive force as is necessary to maintain optimum lateral stability.

In this way, PTM, in conjunction with the enhanced Porsche Stability Management (PSM), ensures that the perfect distribution of drive is achieved every time: whether on long straights, through tight corners, or on surfaces with different friction coefficients. In this situation, traction is additionally enhanced by the automatic brake differential (ABD). Whenever the brake control systems are required to intervene, PTM decouples the front axle completely so that PSM interventions can take place at each individual wheel.

Audis quattro just was the first one to make AWD a hit and they have a very good reputation.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 PM
baileybonds is infamous around these parts
inbyten - you and i are thinking very similarly. the gts is a better overall car than the s7, but only marginally imho. because of that, the msrp premium of $30-$40k to get the gts over the s7 is simply not worth it. i agree that i would pay up to $10 maybe even $15k more for a similarly equipped gts, but at twice that, forget it. the S7 is the clear winner.

my only dilemma now, is do i get the S8 over the S7? i wont be able to test drive one extensively for a few weeks, but the power of the S8 is no contest over the GTS and is similar to the Turbo or Turbo S depending on which magainzes you choose to believe or who u speak to that has actually test driven both. Either way on the S8 vs. S7, I'm still saving a minimum of $10K-$40K over the GTS with more upside in the S8.

Decisions, decisions...

Old 12-26-2012, 07:00 PM
I vote for S7...but that's because I love hatchbacks with big trunks!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 AM
inbyten is infamous around these parts
Once you spec out an S8, doesn't it have a similar price to a lightly spec'd GTS? They're different animals, I guess.
S7 vs S8, I'd prefer the S7 because of its styling and I don't need the extra interior space of the S8. Which handles better? I'd assume the 7 only because I assume it's smaller, but I may be wrong.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:37 AM
S7guy is infamous around these parts
Thanks for launching a great thread. Having chosen s7 over the Panamera, woke up this morning trying to figure out how far I can drive to lunch today with time I have: Driving that thing is pure pleasure. Can be problematic though. Cop pulled me over the other day to inform me I'd been doubling the speed limit. After telling me the consequences of the reckless driving citation he could give me, and advising me to "get a Pinto" , he let me off.
Youre gonna love your S7. Welcome to the club.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
Honestly, after checking an S7 a few days ago, that's a clear winner for me. Would not go S8 in any circumstances whatsoever. But a decision with S7 or GTS would definitely be a hard one.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:02 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Although I think the s7 and s8 are more practical and You get more for the money, the Panamera is Still in its own class when it comes to the supercar feeling and looks. All Audis just look plain when parked beside a Panamera, not to mention the sporty PanamerA GTS. I am only looking at Audi, because I am getting too much unwanted attention in my Panny and frankly it seems that Porsche customer service doesn't even care enough to answer complaints. The show off factor of the Panamera is supercar class. Audi s and RS models are just another variant of the standard car. To put it simple, when you arrive in a shopping mall in the Panny, people stare and when you come back there are fingerprints on the windows. Riding in my friends S6 Avant is not a special occasion, however wonderful it is to drive. We appreciate different qualities in a car, and that is the final desicive factor.

Last edited by kip; 12-30-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Somehow I have managed to endure all of the complements and thumbs up that I have received...

Old 12-30-2012, 11:08 AM
S7guy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kip
...The show off factor of the Panamera is supercar class. Audi s and RS models are just another variant of the standard car. Riding in my friends S6 Avant is not a special occasion, however wonderful it is to drive.
Can't disagree about the street-impact of the Panny, but for what it's worth my S7 gets some very serious head turns, smiles and thumbs ups. One couple almost tripped over a curb to ask me about it. And valet parking has yet to take it away to a garage. On that measure, yeah the Porches wins, but for those of us shallow enough to care about the impression we make on the street, a black S7 hunkered down in dynamic mode does not disappoint. And in my town a least, the A/S7 is a lot rarer that the Panamera.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:29 AM
inbyten is infamous around these parts
Kip-
When you say you get unwanted attention in your Panny, do you mean just a lot of stares and questions, or something more to the point of feeling unsafe because of the extra attention?

As for your disappointment in Porsche service, are you referring to your reliability problems with your Panny in general, or the way that Porsche has handled your Panny's reliability issues?

Old 12-30-2012, 01:49 PM
kip
Originally Posted by inbyten
Kip-
When you say you get unwanted attention in your Panny, do you mean just a lot of stares and questions, or something more to the point of feeling unsafe because of the extra attention?

As for your disappointment in Porsche service, are you referring to your reliability problems with your Panny in general, or the way that Porsche has handled your Panny's reliability issues?
The stares, questions etc. are normal with these types of cars, I also talk to owners of rare cars and stare The problem is I have been stopped by the police x3 for routine checkup, no reason given. Never in my life has that happened to me. One officer even told me, we followed you and you restrained yourself nicely. I was a little surprised about the comment, but it shows the attitude. If I change lanes normally, maybe to a little tighter spot, most of the times the other drivers try to close the gap, or flash lights or honk the horn without any reason whatsoever, never happened to my on a regular basis like in the Panny with my M, AMG or Audi S cars. Also everyone in my work and clients seem to know what I drive, although I park in a well hidden spot.

The car miraculously seems to have recovered into being bullitproof, after almost all parts of the car being changed.

I referred to Porsche customer service in Germany that I contacted with subsitute car issues etc. They promise to take care of the matter or call back, but they never do. I contacted them about my car being 1.5 months at the workshop in a 3month period, but surprisingly no one even bothered to call back. I always have to call myself 2-3 times before anything happens, I don't understand why that is. Despite all that I love my car, is that wierd or what!

In This same time period my Audi SUV has been without any issue and Audi have invited me to track events and winter driving events, they just seem to value me being a customer more, and I am the type of person who values that.

Last edited by kip; 12-30-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Sorry Kip, but I must disagree. I have owned many 911s in my life, and I am a Porsche fan. The lines of a modern 911 are still the best in the business IMHO. But to say that the looks or showoff value of the Panny is "supercar class" is simply not true and an overkill statement from someone who is clearly biased (which is fine because this is an enthusiasts' forum - we should all be passionate about what we drive here!). The Panny GTS is the first and ONLY Panny that made me look twice and only because of the sport design front bumper and the sweeeet exhaust note. I did think long and hard about the GTS (I even ordered one to spec and just backed out), but the looks are part of the reason that I backed out. It may be different in Northern Europe, but here in Southern California, every soccer mom and her sister drives a Panamera, and although that may sound like hyperbole, I am telling you its not far from the truth. Here in LA, the Panny does not even get a second look -- when I test drove the S7 for a few days, everywhere I went people stared and asked me questions about the car, commenting on its beauty. No one I know ever comments about the "beauty" of a Panny, just how "awesome" of a car it is which I agree. I have never been an Audi fan outside the R8, but I have now been successfully lured over by the S7. Yes the S7 is practical. Yes the S7 is more bang for the buck. But its also the most beautiful of any 4 door sport sedan outside of the Maserati IMHO. The Panny GTS handles slightly better and sounds much better than the S7, but that's it. And with the Panny facelift on the horizon (I saw the new sport design wagon driving around Bev Hills - now THAT is "supercar class" looks!), the Audi becomes a no brainer for now.

Now we have to wait for the new facelifted & upgraded Panny vs. the RS7. that will be a fun discussion!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:50 PM
One more thing about the GTS, is that I could not get over the whining noise at speed that has been reported in this forum and others. Completely unacceptable to me in a car of this class. It's definitely there in the GTS (at least the one i test drove at my dealer), and there is apparently no fix (why would they bother to fix it in a car that is about to be facelifted?)

I'm happy to report that its not there in the Audi. This was the final nail in the coffin for me.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:08 PM
kip
Originally Posted by baileybonds
Sorry Kip, but I must disagree. I have owned many 911s in my life, and I am a Porsche fan. The lines of a modern 911 are still the best in the business IMHO. But to say that the looks or showoff value of the Panny is "supercar class" is simply not true and an overkill statement from someone who is clearly biased (which is fine because this is an enthusiasts' forum - we should all be passionate about what we drive here!). The Panny GTS is the first and ONLY Panny that made me look twice and only because of the sport design front bumper and the sweeeet exhaust note. I did think long and hard about the GTS (I even ordered one to spec and just backed out), but the looks are part of the reason that I backed out. It may be different in Northern Europe, but here in Southern California, every soccer mom and her sister drives a Panamera, and although that may sound like hyperbole, I am telling you its not far from the truth. Here in LA, the Panny does not even get a second look -- when I test drove the S7 for a few days, everywhere I went people stared and asked me questions about the car, commenting on its beauty. No one I know ever comments about the "beauty" of a Panny, just how "awesome" of a car it is which I agree. I have never been an Audi fan outside the R8, but I have now been successfully lured over by the S7. Yes the S7 is practical. Yes the S7 is more bang for the buck. But its also the most beautiful of any 4 door sport sedan outside of the Maserati IMHO. The Panny GTS handles slightly better and sounds much better than the S7, but that's it. And with the Panny facelift on the horizon (I saw the new sport design wagon driving around Bev Hills - now THAT is "supercar class" looks!), the Audi becomes a no brainer for now.

Now we have to wait for the new facelifted & upgraded Panny vs. the RS7. that will be a fun discussion!
And yet you, an Audi owner, are in a Porsche forum, posting on a Panamera thread...

As you don't own a Panamera, you can't really comment on its show off effect, am I right.

Audi S7 is basically an A7 with a stiffer suspension, s-line looks and a bigger engine, not very special(I have not heard anyone say otherwise) sorry if I spoilt it for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi S7 or Panamera