Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi S7 or Panamera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM
baileybonds is infamous around these parts
I am a longtime Porsche owner - I have a Cayenne S and a C4S, not yet an Audi owner as my S7 is being built. I do not own a Panamera, but had one an S on loan to me for a few weeks and a number of my friends own variations of them. I believe I can effectively comment on the Panamera and its show off effect at least as it related to Southern California. I can not comment on its show off effect in Europe, which may be entirely different per your comments.

Most upgraded models of a specific car are "basically" the base car plus major upgrades. The Panny GTS is "basically" a Panny 4S with a stiffer suspension, Turbo looks and a bigger engine (sound familiar?) Sorry if I spoilt it for you.

And I disagree that the S7 is "not very special."

Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by baileybonds
I am a longtime Porsche owner - I have a Cayenne S and a C4S, not yet an Audi owner as my S7 is being built. I do not own a Panamera, but had one an S on loan to me for a few weeks and a number of my friends own variations of them. I believe I can effectively comment on the Panamera and its show off effect at least as it related to Southern California. I can not comment on its show off effect in Europe, which may be entirely different per your comments.

Most upgraded models of a specific car are "basically" the base car plus major upgrades. The Panny GTS is "basically" a Panny 4S with a stiffer suspension, Turbo looks and a bigger engine (sound familiar?) Sorry if I spoilt it for you.

And I disagree that the S7 is "not very special."
Sorry, but you are starting to sound like someone who settled for the S7, because couldn't afford the more expensive GTS and you are online trying to prove to yourself you did the right thing. Enjoy your lovely new car and stop forcefeeding it to Panamera owners in a Porsche forum.

I doesn't take a genius to understand that if you debadge a Audi S car 99% of the population will not see the difference to a regular a7 or even a6 or a4, especially s-line. Those same people will not recognize the Panamera, but will instantly now its something unique, even if they think its ugly. And yes, I have personal experience as I bought the car debadged. Didnt help.

I really don't care what you think and to prove that to you I'll not read or comment your posts anymore unless you comment on a car you actually own, and yes I've owned Audi S cars, I didn't invent their "stealth factor". Moving on to threads that actually are productive or helpful.

Edit:

This RS6 that is 6cm wider than an a6, sure stands out as an exotic in the crowd:

http://www.autogespot.com/audi-rs6-a...012/12/30#img5

And sorry if you don't sound very believable in the first place. First you have a gts on order (which clearly supports the fact you didn't want one), then you order a s8 and now a s7, so a s7 is your THIRD choice, but clearly you just choce the best car, money no object.

BTW shouldn't you post on audiworld where they are all congratulating you on you s8 purchase how you think the S7 is superior. Don't mind reading the comments you will get there.

Last edited by kip; 12-30-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:03 PM
baileybonds is infamous around these parts
Kip - stop apologizing. You love what you love - we get it. And I think the Panny GTS is a great car. Its why I ordered it months ago. But the S7 wasnt available to evaluate at the time, and once it became available in the flesh to drive extensively, I changed my mind. It happens.

I appreciate your snobbish assumptions of me being not able to afford a GTS and "settling" for the S7 -- that attitude would definitely allow you to fit right into the Hollywood mentality here! I have no problem affording the GTS, but I try to be smart about how I spend my hard earned money as would other forum members here. If I couldnt live without a GTS, I would have one in my driveway right now. But I am clearly am OK living without it as I have been wooed by a very similar, in my opinion more beautiful, and very less expensive car. How you choose to spend your many euros is different and thats OK!

And last I checked, unlike Rennlist, RennTech, Audiworld, Audizine and others, 6speedonline is not a Porsche only or Audi only forum which is one of the reasons I love checking this site out - because sometimes here, objectivity rules over tunnel vision. I was initially interested in a Panamera and now I'm moving onto something else. And many opinions here and on other forums helped with that decision. Even yours in a backwards way.

My opinion re: the panamera's looks are nothing that hasnt been opined before. the looks are clearly controversial. its usually a love or hate thing. i am strangely in the middle - i dont love or hate the panamera's looks overall. on certain days and certain color combos, i like it a lot. on other days and on certain colors, it hate it. love the front end, hate the back end. i end up netting a neutral vibe about the panny's looks. but i love the way the s7 looks especially with its additional trim over the a7. i never said the s7 has supercar-type looks, but i am clearly stating that the panny doesnt either. so sue me.

Re: the s8, i love the car and monstrous engine, but i dont love the looks of it. clearly they matter. i agree with you kip, the s8 does look like every other audi. but the s7 doesn't and stands out - and is the better overall package than the s8 imho. but what would i know since i dont actually own either yet right? that makes all of my comments absolutely irrelevant per you

i am open to lively, healthy and respectful but different opinions here. im not trying to provoke you or anyone else here kip - im just trying to represent my distinct socal based experience and opinion and hope that they are helpful to others (but clearly not to you which is ok!)

onward and upward and happy new year to all!

Old 01-01-2013, 06:27 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by inbyten
Regarding my S7 vs Panamera dilemma, I've now had the chance to extensively drive both (actually drove an S6 as I couldn't find an S7).

Styling is subjective, but I like both cars. The Panamera GTS looks more exotic, but I also like the understated style of the S7. Both interiors are gorgeous. I love the sport seats in the S7.

In the practicality department, I think the S7 wins out. It's got more trunk space, and I think Audi's AWD system is superior to the Porsche AWD system in the rain and snow (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

They're both quick as hell.

The GTS does handle better, but not by a huge margin in my opinion. The S6 doesn't turn in as well, but I'm assuming I'd just have to adjust my driving style to account for the perceived tendency of the S6 to oversteer.

In my mind, the S7 gets me 90% of the performance of the Pani GTS at 70% of the cost. If they were the same price, I'd probably get the Porsche. Even if the GTS was only another $10k over the S7, I'd probably choose the GTS. But I can't justify the premium the GTS commands over the S7 for the marginal improvement in performance. This is especially true given I'm going to use the car as my daily driver.

So unless I happen to find a lightly used GTS <$100k in the next 2 months, I'm going to scoop my ordered Quartz Grey S7. And I'll keep my Cayman S for the weekends when I want something light to toss around.

Thanks for all of the input!

Merry Christmas all!
Congrats on your choice! I am sure you won't be disappointed. I am looking forward to pics and impressions! I will be making my final decision in the next few months, but I know it will be quartz grey as well!
It is going to be a Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 AM
BOOMER7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by baileybonds
Kip - stop apologizing. You love what you love - we get it. And I think the Panny GTS is a great car. Its why I ordered it months ago. But the S7 wasnt available to evaluate at the time, and once it became available in the flesh to drive extensively, I changed my mind. It happens.

I appreciate your snobbish assumptions of me being not able to afford a GTS and "settling" for the S7 -- that attitude would definitely allow you to fit right into the Hollywood mentality here! I have no problem affording the GTS, but I try to be smart about how I spend my hard earned money as would other forum members here. If I couldnt live without a GTS, I would have one in my driveway right now. But I am clearly am OK living without it as I have been wooed by a very similar, in my opinion more beautiful, and very less expensive car. How you choose to spend your many euros is different and thats OK!

And last I checked, unlike Rennlist, RennTech, Audiworld, Audizine and others, 6speedonline is not a Porsche only or Audi only forum which is one of the reasons I love checking this site out - because sometimes here, objectivity rules over tunnel vision. I was initially interested in a Panamera and now I'm moving onto something else. And many opinions here and on other forums helped with that decision. Even yours in a backwards way.

My opinion re: the panamera's looks are nothing that hasnt been opined before. the looks are clearly controversial. its usually a love or hate thing. i am strangely in the middle - i dont love or hate the panamera's looks overall. on certain days and certain color combos, i like it a lot. on other days and on certain colors, it hate it. love the front end, hate the back end. i end up netting a neutral vibe about the panny's looks. but i love the way the s7 looks especially with its additional trim over the a7. i never said the s7 has supercar-type looks, but i am clearly stating that the panny doesnt either. so sue me.

Re: the s8, i love the car and monstrous engine, but i dont love the looks of it. clearly they matter. i agree with you kip, the s8 does look like every other audi. but the s7 doesn't and stands out - and is the better overall package than the s8 imho. but what would i know since i dont actually own either yet right? that makes all of my comments absolutely irrelevant per you

i am open to lively, healthy and respectful but different opinions here. im not trying to provoke you or anyone else here kip - im just trying to represent my distinct socal based experience and opinion and hope that they are helpful to others (but clearly not to you which is ok!)

onward and upward and happy new year to all!
well said!
and on another note the 2010 panny turbos will be in the hi 70's low 80's in the next 4-6 months. they are sitting on used lot's/private sellers at current 90k plus pricing. a wholesale friend of mine who deals in hi lines expressed a solid 73-75k retail on lo mile 2010 TURBO PANAMERA'S by end of 2013. i'm thinking about one for the wife.
just something to think about.

Last edited by BOOMER7; 01-01-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:40 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kip

I referred to Porsche customer service in Germany that I contacted with subsitute car issues etc. They promise to take care of the matter or call back, but they never do. I contacted them about my car being 1.5 months at the workshop in a 3month period, but surprisingly no one even bothered to call back. I always have to call myself 2-3 times before anything happens, I don't understand why that is.
Have to take back some of this, as found out today that the matter is still in progress. Well see...

Old 01-04-2013, 02:04 PM
kip
Found this old Audi to Panamera turbo, guess it all depends who you ask:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...long-post.html

Off course times change too.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
eveyone seems to complain about the Panny back end but at least it doesn't droop in the back like the S7. that back end looks like a 60 year old womans rear end - lost all the firmness and is now left to sag.

each to their own on the looks.

on the performance - the GTS is miles ahead and there is next to no media coverage that even suggests otherwise.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
...and I thought this "versus Audi" stuff just occurred on BMW forums! I think people should be entitled to prefer what they prefer without apology, argument, or put-downs. Frankly, though, it has been my experience...and that includes BMW, Audi, and Lexus forums...that brand vs. brand threads always disintegrate into "better than" snipes. I would like to think that at the price points of Audi S cars, BMW M cars, and our Panameras the discussion would be more about personal preference and satisfaction, since at these prices we're well beyond discussions about basic automobiles and what it might take to motor from point A to B. I'm sure that I am speaking for all of us when I say that I am a lot more than what I drive, so can we raise the level of this conversation a bit?

Last edited by Leslierc; 01-07-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
inbyten is infamous around these parts
S7 transmission thrash?

There's a slight twist to my decision. I just drove an S6, and I noticed some severe drive line thrash from the transmission when slowing the car down while it is set to dynamic (sport) mode. It seems to occur from jerky downshifts from 3-2 or 2-1. The car actually jerked quite a bit. The sales guy I ordered my S7 from had no clue if this was normal.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it normal, or does it go away as you break the car in (maybe as the software learns the car)?

This might kill the S7 for me if that's normal behavior in dynamic mode. I don't recall the Panamera's PDK transmission behaving in the same fashion.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
kip
There's a slight twist to my decision. I just drove an S6, and I noticed some severe drive line thrash from the transmission when slowing the car down while it is set to dynamic (sport) mode. It seems to occur from jerky downshifts from 3-2 or 2-1. The car actually jerked quite a bit. The sales guy I ordered my S7 from had no clue if this was normal.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it normal, or does it go away as you break the car in (maybe as the software learns the car)?

This might kill the S7 for me if that's normal behavior in dynamic mode. I don't recall the Panamera's PDK transmission behaving in the same fashion.
PDK is really smooth, no problems there.

There have been problems with the Audi double clutch gearbox atleast in the Q5s, I havent had any. Havent followed other Audis, but the gearbox is the same. Havent heard anything about the S6, though the RS6 will have the 8speed automatic, due to massive torque??

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2789188
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1e9c37/0

Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 AM
My S7 is due to arrive in a month, but I cancelled my order. I realized I wasn't excited about it. I've decided I'd rather have a Panamera. I think a used GTS would be ideal, but I may go with a used 4S. I Might look at a used turbo if I can get a great deal, but I don't really need that much power, so it is in third on my list. The search is on!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:00 AM
kip
My S7 is due to arrive in a month, but I cancelled my order. I realized I wasn't excited about it. I've decided I'd rather have a Panamera. I think a used GTS would be ideal, but I may go with a used 4S. I Might look at a used turbo if I can get a great deal, but I don't really need that much power, so it is in third on my list. The search is on!
This is exactly what I tried to say earlier. The S7 is a very, vary good car, but it is not a dreamcar. Didnt try to offend anyone with those comments. If you are looking for a car that puts a smile on your face every day, every ramp, every streetlight, go for the GTS or used PTT.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 AM
update

Well, I found the well equipped used 4S I've been looking for in California. It's black on black full leather, 20'' HRE wheels, alcantara headliner, Burmester, air suspension with PDCC, sport chrono plus, sport exhaust, walnut interior, privacy screens, sat radio, Bluetooth, park assist with camera, and 14 way seats. It has everything I was looking for!
I took delivery last weekend in Las Vegas and spent a couple of days touring southern Utah. So far I'm extremely happy with my purchase. The car is currently on a truck and I should get it in a few days.
Thanks again for everyone's input.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	209253  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Well, I found the well equipped used 4S I've been looking for in California. It's black on black full leather, 20'' HRE wheels, alcantara headliner, Burmester, air suspension with PDCC, sport chrono plus, sport exhaust, walnut interior, privacy screens, sat radio, Bluetooth, park assist with camera, and 14 way seats. It has everything I was looking for!
I took delivery last weekend in Las Vegas and spent a couple of days touring southern Utah. So far I'm extremely happy with my purchase. The car is currently on a truck and I should get it in a few days.
Thanks again for everyone's input.
Now THAT is something to celebrate! Well done...enjoy!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi S7 or Panamera