Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi S7 or Panamera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 04:20 PM
inbyten is infamous around these parts
Audi S7 or Panamera

I recently ordered an Audi S7, due to arrive in Feb/March 2013. But now I'm having second thoughts. I haven't actually driven an S7, but was able to drive a '13 S6 briefly about a month ago. I'm not sure I'll actually get to test an S7 before mine arrives as they're not that plentiful.

Now I'm considering a used Panamera 4S or Turbo instead of the S7. I have an '07 Cayman S, and I think with the Panamera I could punt my Cayman and my winter beater and have just one car do double duty all year long. My needs are 4 doors for the family, AWD for the winter, and a bit of performance for me!

Has anyone driven the S7 and the Panamera back to back? What did you think? I've driven the Panamera 4 as a loaner car and was quite impressed with how it performed, but think I would want a bit more power.

Any impressions or thoughts are appreciated!

Dave

Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 PM
cephas is infamous around these parts
I've ordered a S6, went to a panamera instead.
1. More involving driving / handeling feels more direct
2. Love the look of the panamera
3. Love the air-suspension
4. Love the PDK

Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
I have hd plenty of S cars, all refined and quick. Definately would pick one over any other Panny than the turbo. But the turbo is a monster putting a smile on your face every day.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:48 AM
khabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to beholdkhabah is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by inbyten
I recently ordered an Audi S7, due to arrive in Feb/March 2013. But now I'm having second thoughts. I haven't actually driven an S7, but was able to drive a '13 S6 briefly about a month ago. I'm not sure I'll actually get to test an S7 before mine arrives as they're not that plentiful.

Now I'm considering a used Panamera 4S or Turbo instead of the S7. I have an '07 Cayman S, and I think with the Panamera I could punt my Cayman and my winter beater and have just one car do double duty all year long. My needs are 4 doors for the family, AWD for the winter, and a bit of performance for me!

Has anyone driven the S7 and the Panamera back to back? What did you think? I've driven the Panamera 4 as a loaner car and was quite impressed with how it performed, but think I would want a bit more power.

Any impressions or thoughts are appreciated!

Dave
Dave -

I've driven them both. While most of my Panamera experience was relegated to the RWD base model [which I found to be a tremendous performer and extremely involving, satisfying drive], I've also driven every model up to the Turbo. I find the Turbo maniacal, extravagant and unnecessary; the 4S is the perfect blend of stability, traction and real-world speed you'll ever really need. Heck, even the base V6 is plenty.

The S7 is plenty fast - very grippy, refined and power delivery from the engine is smooth and linear. Put that together with its plush cabin and stunning exterior looks and you've got a winner. The only issues I really have with it are related to the steering [too/extremely light; you feel like you're connected to a PlayStation, not a sport sedan] and the exhaust note [a bit whiny and airy rather than the Panamera's roars and burbles]. Something else that gets me is how no one can ever really tell what Audi the S7 is; people might appreciate their understated personas, but the fact that nearly all Audis look like magnifications/reductions of one another doesn't do much for some prospective owners.

The Panamera, on the other hand, continues to impress me; yes, its looks are anything if not controversial and I have several issues with some of the exterior details [I find the S7's exterior to be far more cohesive and resolved], but it has road presence unlike any other car out there, the interior is a knock-out and the drive is mesmerizing. Steering is relatively light but unlike the S7, very responsive and there's immediate feedback from the chassis. The PDK can sometimes be a bit jerky at low speeds but is a piece of work overall; always pre-shifting ahead and power just keeps coming. If you can, get a car with the sports exhaust system; the difference in sound won't be particularly noticeable from inside the car, but the sound outside - mmmmm. You may want to roll a window down.

The biggest rift splitting these two cars is their price: both cars have similar levels of performance, carry four and have four-wheel drive, but the Panamera costs a pretty penny and will burn a hole in your finances with its options list. The S7 comes pretty nicely equipped and a few options will still leave you with a considerably lower price tag than the Panamera, but in the end and at least to me, the Porsche is the far more emotional and satisfying buy that's truly worth every red cent. In Porsche speak: there is no substitute.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you're thinking!

khabah

Last edited by khabah; 12-09-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:43 PM
hummerchine is infamous around these parts
khabah pretty much nailed it...I could not agree more!

I went to Seattle with my wife 1.5 years ago to shop new cars...my 2004 manual Maxima had started sucking down oil, had run it dry twice. My dream car was the Panamera, was was thinking I'd get an A7 (the S7 was not out yet). I wanted to look at the BMW 550ix too...heck, I would have just ordered one tricked out had BMW not quit making them with a manual. I'm sure not many were sold, but then again they lost my sale!

My wife has a Q7, so we'd been at Barrier Audi in Bellevue WA before. The saleperson I'd spoken to was busy when we showed up, so we decided to go to Bellevue Porsche right down the street. Test drove the 4S, holy crap I loved that car! Well, wouldn't ya know it...they just happened to have a 2010 model tricked out pretty close to what I would have ordered...including Burmester, thermal/break resistant glass, and adaptive cruise...for $20k off, and 1.5 years added to the warranty. $110k total. Sweet! I had expected to be ordering a car and waiting months to get it, but was not sure my Maxima was going to make it.

But as they were dicking around with paperwork, we decided we really should drive the A7 since it was two blocks away. BORING. That was easy. Could not resist driving a gorgeous S5 they had on the lot, V8 with a manual. That was the nicest car to drive that I've ever driven...including my awesome 4S! I nearly threw caution to the wind and bought one...even though it only had two doors, a small trunk, and a bland interior. Fortunately I came to my senses; we decided to return to our hotel room and regroup, I was still thinking about checking out the BMW. But as we drove past the Porsche dealer my wife wisely pointed out that was the car I really wanted, so just go buy it.

Which I did. I LOVA LOVA LOVE that car! I'm thrilled every single day to be able to go drive it. And it's been a tank, have had nothing go wrong with it. We have a family of 4 and I'm an avid rock climber, like to keep a bunch of climbing crap in the trunk at all times so I never forget anything. This car fits the bill just fine...I love the hatchback, previously had a SAAB 9000 Turbo with hatch that I also loved. The car handles like a dream, and is drop-dead gorgeous both inside and out. I'm fully aware that some find the car ugly; they are insane! I've looked at that car from every angle countless times and I just can't seem to find the ugly part! I get complements and thumbs-ups all the time. Oh, and the stereo rocks hard!!!

Having said all that, had they made the S7 when I bought my car I may have bought that. The trunk is bigger still, which is a huge plus to me. And the car is a better value. Should have mentioned earlier, since ya can't get manuals any more the dual-clutch automated manuals are a close second.

Having had a Panamera for 1.5 years, if my car got totaled and I needed a new car, I'd just go get another one. I love it in a way I can't imagine feeling for any other car. Heck, someday I might get really crazy and get a Turbo S...I tend to keep cars for about 10 years, so it'll be a while.

Good luck on your decision! Actually, I'm sure you will be thrilled with either car...life is tough when you have to decide between two such awesome things!

Old 12-09-2012, 01:25 PM
I appreciate all of the thoughtful responses. They're very helpful.

I actually started down this path by looking at the '12 CLS550. Loved the styling, but I wasn't impressed with how it handled. I found it to be more of a luxury cruiser.

I do think the S7 is a better value vs a new Panamera, but I think I can get a lightly used 4S for the same price as the S7, or maybe even less. The challenge will be finding one locally that is optioned the way I like.

I used to be on the fence on the Panamera's styling, but it has grown on me since it first came out. And I was very impressed with how it handled when I drove one as a loaner. It definitely drives like a Porsche!

My S6 test drive was very brief, so I honestly don't remember much about it. And S6/S7s are not plentiful around here, so I won't be able to test one again until probably January. In the meantime I think I'm going to take a 4S out for a test drive.

As you said hummerchine, there are worse problems to have!

Last edited by inbyten; 12-09-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Change
Old 12-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Forgot to mention a couple of things...as stated above, get the sport exhaust if you can! As has been stated elsewhere, it's not a huge difference inside the car, but you will definitely love it. I'd call it "subtle yet profound"; makes enough difference to make the car sound amazing.

And I really dig the huge fuel tank/mileage/range of the car...it's so nice rarely having to get gas!

Old 12-09-2012, 02:06 PM
JMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud ofJMC8 has much to be proud of
Panny GTS enuf said

Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by JMC8
Panny GTS enuf said
GTS sounds incredible, but I think it would be tough to find a used example this early in the model life.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
rzundel is infamous around these parts
I went throught the same thought process and ended up with the Panny. Don't regret it for a second. There is something to be said about driving a Porsche. I have owned 3. I have also owned an Audi S4. Audi is a great car but it is not a Porsche.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 PM
supercup is infamous around these parts
Audi S7 has 2 significant advantanges
1. A lot cheaper
2. It has twice the luggage capacity with 4 seats functioning.

That said I have a PTT and bought it thinking it would be ideal and cover my DD needs, SUV needs and fun needs. It is the the ultimate daily driver. As an SUV it really does not have much space when your kids play hockey, you can't even fit 2 hockey bags back there - with the S7 you can. So I end up switching off with my wife a lot for her SUV utility, she never complainse.

I would say the S7 is more likely to cover your "1" car needs noted in your post. If you get the Pannyt I would keep the Cayenne S as my winter car and for my SUV needs.

Both are great options and you will love either choice. I always liked new cars, so if I had to use used PTT or new S7, I would get the new S7. GIven your price range and desire to have 1 car for everything I think the S7 is a great car that will fit all your needs.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:23 AM
S7guy is infamous around these parts
Had similar problem

6 months ago tested the Panamera and fell in love witht the way it drove. 3 things stopped me from doing it. 1) v6 seemed a little underpowered, and V8 cost too much 2) mixed about the look 3) Wife hated its looks.

Ended up ordering an s7 which ive had for 3,500 miles now.
Agree with most of the comments here: s7 is no Porche re. Steering feel etc. and if thats a key issue, gotta go Panny, But...Ive never loved a car in 45 years of driving like I do my s7. Yes steerings light, but it corners like its on rails, serously quick and responsive, the sound to me is pefect- deep, subtle, mean. Cars a head turner from evey ngle. Variable air suspension and drive train really does work from cushy comfort to edgy racy. And already used the massizve interior space for everything from delivering hoe a desk chair to packing for a trip (w. seats up) to brining home the xmas tree...inside the car. MAYBE if price had been same for = power and wife been on board would be in a Panny today. But 1 thing for sure. Love this car snd no rgrets. Like others have saidnhere, nice problem to have.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by supercup
Audi S7 has 2 significant advantanges
1. A lot cheaper
2. It has twice the luggage capacity with 4 seats functioning.

That said I have a PTT and bought it thinking it would be ideal and cover my DD needs, SUV needs and fun needs. It is the the ultimate daily driver. As an SUV it really does not have much space when your kids play hockey, you can't even fit 2 hockey bags back there - with the S7 you can. So I end up switching off with my wife a lot for her SUV utility, she never complainse.

I would say the S7 is more likely to cover your "1" car needs noted in your post. If you get the Pannyt I would keep the Cayenne S as my winter car and for my SUV needs.

Both are great options and you will love either choice. I always liked new cars, so if I had to use used PTT or new S7, I would get the new S7. GIven your price range and desire to have 1 car for everything I think the S7 is a great car that will fit all your needs.

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks. I didn't realize that the Pani's luggage space was that much smaller. Although, my wife drives a mid size SUV, so my Pani/S7 would only be the family car in a pinch.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by S7guy
6 months ago tested the Panamera and fell in love witht the way it drove. 3 things stopped me from doing it. 1) v6 seemed a little underpowered, and V8 cost too much 2) mixed about the look 3) Wife hated its looks.

Ended up ordering an s7 which ive had for 3,500 miles now.
Agree with most of the comments here: s7 is no Porche re. Steering feel etc. and if thats a key issue, gotta go Panny, But...Ive never loved a car in 45 years of driving like I do my s7. Yes steerings light, but it corners like its on rails, serously quick and responsive, the sound to me is pefect- deep, subtle, mean. Cars a head turner from evey ngle. Variable air suspension and drive train really does work from cushy comfort to edgy racy. And already used the massizve interior space for everything from delivering hoe a desk chair to packing for a trip (w. seats up) to brining home the xmas tree...inside the car. MAYBE if price had been same for = power and wife been on board would be in a Panny today. But 1 thing for sure. Love this car snd no rgrets. Like others have saidnhere, nice problem to have.
Great to hear from an S7 owner. If I get the S7, then I'll probably keep my Cayman S for weekends and DE events. Good to hear that you're happy with the performance and handling of the S7. My biggest concern is how it handles. All I could remember about my S6 drive was the power!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
After reading these posts, I'd recommend looking very hard at both cars! Like Supercup said, I like buying a new car myself. It's such a thrill...and then it is yours and only yours for the decade you own it (in my case). As much as I love my Panamera, if it was between a used 4S and a new S7 I'm pretty sure I'd get the S7!

That bigger trunk is quite compelling too...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi S7 or Panamera