Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Panamera Vanity mirror removal How do I do it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Racerjack is infamous around these parts
Smile 2012 Panamera Vanity mirror removal How do I do it?

Hello,

My detailer stuck our plastic gate entry card in the vanity mirror on our 12 Panamera. I not thinking pushed the card into the sun visor and cannot get it out.

How do I remove the visor from the car, then open the mirror part to remove the gate card?

Jack Haughn

Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM
umwolverine is infamous around these partsumwolverine is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Racerjack
Hello,

My detailer stuck our plastic gate entry card in the vanity mirror on our 12 Panamera. I not thinking pushed the card into the sun visor and cannot get it out.

How do I remove the visor from the car, then open the mirror part to remove the gate card?

Jack Haughn
This is tricky - I just did it to remove the yellow idiot-labels.

First remove the black covers using a credit card or a plastic pry-tool. There are 4 snaps that hook into a white nylon piece that is screwed into the roof. Remove the two screws from the white nylon piece using a torx screwdriver. The tough part is prying the white nylon piece out of the alcantara roof cover. You'll need to push the nylon piece towards the window and pull down on the edge facing the back. You'll need to pull pretty hard, but the snaps on the piece are VERY stout and you won't break them. Once the nylon piece is removed from the roof, the visor will be hanging from the electrical connection. Separating the connector can be tough also. You'll need to press the very small metal tab on the top with something strong and a tip about the size of a toothpick. An icepick or leather punch will do the job. Pull apart the electrical connector while pushing on the small metal tab, and you're done. On the passenger side the connector was jammed in a small space between the interior roof and the metal frame - it was difficult to even get it exposed.

This is one heck of a lot more difficult than I thought it would be, so prepare yourself. Removing the white nylon from the roof and separating the connector can be a real pain.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Racerjack is infamous around these parts
Thanks for your comments.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:40 PM
umwolverine is infamous around these partsumwolverine is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Racerjack
Thanks for your comments.
No problem - good luck!

The interior looks so much better without those idiotic yellow stickers on the visors...

Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 PM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
So you can't just tear the stickers off the visors? I'd like to get rid of them.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by NiceCar
So you can't just tear the stickers off the visors? I'd like to get rid of them.
No. You need to remove the visors and use pure Acetone. Put it on a rag and rub the stickers, pulling up on the edges as you do. The Acetone will not harm the alcantara - I've done this in a couple cars now. It does take some time, and the alcantara may 'pucker up' because it's wet, but it will recover and look just like new.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 PM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
Can't you do that when the visors are in place?

Old 01-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by NiceCar
Can't you do that when the visors are in place?
Not a chance. You'll either die from the fumes, or get so frustrated with the little sticker pieces falling into the dashboard that you'll do some severe damage to yourself or the car.