Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts Pany owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Porschejeff is infamous around these parts
Your thoughts Pany owners

I am currently driving a 996 TT Cabrio. While I love many things about the car, I'm starting to get a little tired of the rough ride with the stiff suspension on our lousy Michigan roads. So, while I love Porsche's, I am contemplating a Panamera (maybe the 4S). With Michigan winters, I store my Porsche and drive an AWD Cadillac. I have been eyeing some Panamera's on the road and wondering how many of you drive them during the winter and how they are with snow tires on a 4S? I think I would want an S so I have at least similar power as my 911TT without spending the money on a Turbo. This way I can have just one car instead of 2. I will probably dearly miss the rag top as I have had convertible sports cars for the past 25+ years as a summer ride. My other con to the Panamera is I see an awful lot of women driving them. Is this a woman's Porsche?

What are your thoughts? Pro's and con's for those of you that have made the conversion from a 911 or similar sports car.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:44 PM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
My wife has a Panamera and she doesn't think it's a woman's Porsche.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
I put a set of Nokian winter tires on my 2011 4S, great in the snow and slush!
The Panamera 4S should be great with those.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 PM
carsnob is infamous around these parts
Jeff, I hear ya. Just sold my C4S cab after 15 years of driving a cabrio and a stick shift. Was really having to think long and hard about whether or not a Panamera 4S would be the right move. This forum helped a lot over the past several months as a lot of guys made the same switch. One commented about how a cabrio is like you're in a fishbowl and that's kind of true.
Anyway, the car in sport and sport plus mode moves out like the 911.
It's for sure a lot more comfortable and in Toronto we have the same crappy roads as you. With 4 winter tires it'll be awesome in the snow. You won't miss your Caddie. The Panny is solid and nice with a more comfortable ride.
Likes the guys said in the forum after a day or two you don't miss the stick shift....the jury is out as to the cabrio....ask me after the summer as I wonder if those 4 months without it will be disappointing.
I say go for it. The wife can always drive it, and hey if it's that bad, you can switch back in a year or two...

Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
can blame your reasoning
the S is as close to 911ish as you can get with a four door and I think you will be very happy but having both cars as daily drivers dont kid yourself it aint no 996TT!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:42 AM
brian sherwood is infamous around these parts
My wife drives the GTS. It is her winter car! Handles great in all weather. The car has all weather tires and will be garaged until next November.

She uses the M6 for Spring and Summer.

And I get to drive the Jeep -all year round!!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
here is a story link that removess all doubt about their winter prowness.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/wheelsn...e-panamera-gts

Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Porschejeff is infamous around these parts
Great article Cpa4s, thanks for sharing it.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 PM
BOOMER7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I test drove a Panamera , own a Cayenne v6 (gf's dd) ,M3. and a 997tt and upon reading your post I could not help but think of the 991 . The comfort features of the 991 are leaps above a 996 and in terms of Hp it's not slow . You could have a convertible AWD 991C4S although I never understood a high HP Cab . The two concepts somewhat seem to contradict each other .

A Panamera Turbo or Turbo S will cost you 150-200K and it will never be a 911 . When I think of a practical 4 door car or SUV I even prefer the idea of a highly speced V6 and to use the car for the purpose of comfort and save the money to use in a 911 .

Plus the Panamera is due to be refreshed this year and it seems like Porsche is heading in the direction of attempting to restyle the controversial rear . If Porsche ever gets that rear even close to looking as attractive as a 911 (or even a new Cayman ) then that 200K older car will depreciate like a rock (in my opinion) .

Conclusion -- You can't have it all . A 911 wont ever be a luxury car (although the 991 is pretty close to it) , and a Panamera won't ever be a 911 .

Drive them all .. but my vote would go to a 991 and keep the Caddy .
2015-2016 will be a new update. change this year is almost undetectable.
i'm guessing 2015-16 won't be a huge change either based on history of what they do at porsche.

the car has already depreciated to AMAZING levels for what you get.
panny turbo for under 100k (used) beats any other luxury 4 door car i've had in overall performance and quality.

Last edited by BOOMER7; 05-02-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:19 PM
KICKINIT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BOOMER7
i'm guessing 2015-16 won't be a huge change either based on history of what they do at porsche.

panny turbo for under 100k (used) beats any other luxury 4 door car i've had in overall performance and quality.
^^^^^^^^^^ agree with this post 100 percent

Old 05-03-2013, 04:27 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !

I am reading the following http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/03/2...ong-wheelbase/

It includes the Porsche press release and photos about the dates and the new cars.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:40 PM
I am reading the following http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/03/2...ong-wheelbase/

It includes the Porsche press release and photos about the dates and the new cars.

2014 FACE LIFT this was posted in the panamera forum over a month ago https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cs-leaked.html
as i said--- the change is hardly noticeable--- a face lift as i noted in my previous response above
the next change maybe more substantial in 2016 version
for 100k on the used market it's the best thing going on a luxury 4 door car.

GREAT ARTICLE CPA4s http://thechronicleherald.ca/wheelsn...e-panamera-gts

Last edited by BOOMER7; 05-03-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
2014 FACE LIFT this was posted in the panamera forum over a month ago https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cs-leaked.html
as i said--- the change is hardly noticeable--- a face lift as i noted in my previous response above
the next change maybe more substantial in 2016 version
for 100k on the used market it's the best thing going on a luxury 4 door car.

GREAT ARTICLE CPA4s http://thechronicleherald.ca/wheelsn...e-panamera-gts
I agree with you on the (paraphrasing) "100K bargain" for a used Turbo. I disagree with "hardly noticeable" . I do notice the changes and much as with any Porsche refresh the changes are slight but in just about every case the newer car faces improvements .

But the great used pricing supports my ideology about rapid depreciation and I go further to say that if Porsche changes the rear (which they seem to be attempting even in the refresh) it can accelerate the depreciation only because the rear styling has ben so controversial . One does not see this trend with 911 cars , Cayman cars , Boxster cars and even with the Cayenne the most expensive Turbo S models are not 200K plus to buy . So the Pany downside financial slope is steep and that step has to be considered before writing a check. That's simply my opinion . I hope I am wrong. But that has what shys me away from the car .

Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 PM
I agree with you on the (paraphrasing) "100K bargain" for a used Turbo. I disagree with "hardly noticeable" . I do notice the changes and much as with any Porsche refresh the changes are slight but in just about every case the newer car faces improvements .

But the great used pricing supports my ideology about rapid depreciation and I go further to say that if Porsche changes the rear (which they seem to be attempting even in the refresh) it can accelerate the depreciation only because the rear styling has ben so controversial . One does not see this trend with 911 cars , Cayman cars , Boxster cars and even with the Cayenne the most expensive Turbo S models are not 200K plus to buy . So the Pany downside financial slope is steep and that step has to be considered before writing a check. That's simply my opinion . I hope I am wrong. But that has what shys me away from the car .
agreed with most of what you posted above.
however, look at this way, it's a 4 door luxury/performance car and when compared to the 3-4 year depreciation curve of similar brands "flagship" models the depreciation is less with the porsche brand as compared with that of mercedes,jaguar,bmw top tier cars.
i would have to give them props on their first endeavor into this market thus far.

Last edited by BOOMER7; 05-03-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 AM
TheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura aboutTheRox has a spectacular aura about
Are you kidding me?

How in gods name can you be successful enough to own a panamera and have self confidence so low that you're worried about your image. Phenomenal.

Interest rates just really be low. If you like the car get on with it. No one cares about your image.