Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelins - PS2 or PSS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:38 PM
supercup is infamous around these parts
I started with PZero (20") from factory - got 13k miles - went to PS2 - got 21k miles - just went to PSS - only 1k miles to date - like them as well as PS2 - might ride a bit better, but hard to say. Were $100 per tire cheaper and say they will last 30k - since I am putting 2.5k miles per a month on the car right now I thought I would give them a try.

Both are "way" better than PZero - ride better and are quieter.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:39 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Performance wise Would You Pay extra To Go from ps2 To pss, because the Factory set Was ps2 and I might need To Pay more To change To pss?

Old 01-23-2014, 04:54 AM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by supercup
I started with PZero (20") from factory - got 13k miles - went to PS2 - got 21k miles - just went to PSS - only 1k miles to date - like them as well as PS2 - might ride a bit better, but hard to say. Were $100 per tire cheaper and say they will last 30k - since I am putting 2.5k miles per a month on the car right now I thought I would give them a try.

My dealer told me that since the Panny has "staggered" front and rear sizes, that the michelin warranty is shortened to 15K. I am totally fine with that, as on a performance car like this,coupled with the way I drive, 15K miles/year would be a gift. I have 9000 miles on my pirellis, and they are almost bald.

either way, I am pumped to get out of the pirellis....no consistency of ride there at all. one day, the car feels squirelly, the next day planted, etc

Old 01-23-2014, 04:52 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by supercup

I really would appreciate input, on wheter or not they are worth paying more for.I understand if they are cheaper or same price its a done deal, but I need to pay extra here, so would appreciate feedback.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by kip
I really would appreciate input, on wheter or not they are worth paying more for.I understand if they are cheaper or same price its a done deal, but I need to pay extra here, so would appreciate feedback.
Hi Kip,

I would say if you have to pay a premium where you are then you have to weigh the benefit of the "extra" mileage Michelin claims you will get out of the tire life. Given they say 1/3 more tread life (30k miles vs 20k miles) then if the price is less than that differential I would say get the PSS.

The PS2 has a lower tread wear rating so it is a softer compound (220 vs 300 for PSS) and hence the quicker wear (20k vs 30k). The load rating is a bit higher on the PSS, so likely a stiffer sidewall, so this is a handling plus.

I like both tires, but again only have 1,000 miles on the PSS. They seem to handle as well, be as quiet (or slightly quieter) and ride a bit better. So you can't go wrong with PSS, if the premium is offset by the mileage benefit then you come out ahead with PSS overall.

It is important to note as mentioned above by Cole the warranty of the rear PSS or PS2 is cut in half of the MFG. posted number (so 10k miles on PS2 and 15k on PSS). Included here is a photo of my right rear tire PS2 at take off with 22,000 miles +/- (35,480 kilos) on it, as you can see I got my money's worth. My point here is the tire went well beyond the 10k mile Michelin warranty. Tire was run with 44 lbs of cold pressure and mostly driven on Freeway back and forth to work, with some fun driving on the weekends (and every offramp I hit), but no track time.

In the photo you can see the front tire below the rear partially and the other front still mounted on a wheels in the top left of the photo. The fronts were at the tread bar wear indicator (2/32nds). The left rear was in a little better shaped than one in photo (RR). Given where they were at take off 20,000 miles is the limit of the PS2 with 44 psi of pressure and normal driving. The rears really went off quick after 20k (from some tread to almost slick), where fronts seemed to reduce tread in a slower format.

I hope this helps you make a decision. Can't go wrong with either tire!

Last point is rear PSS in our 20" size (295/32/20 105Y) for PTT is on National Back Order in the USA. So if you don't find it in stock you may have to wait a few weeks to get the PSS rears. I got lucky as America's tire had another store with the rears in stock that a customer had cancelled the order. PS2's are readily available.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22k Miles PS2.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	656.5 KB
ID:	325270  

Last edited by supercup; 01-26-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:16 PM
kip
Thanks. Still havent gotten back on the extra price/availability... Pretty sure I Will have To stay With ps2.

Nice pic, that Tire really gave You all it had.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:28 PM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
Nice pic, that Tire really gave You all it had.[/QUOTE]

ha! that is funny...

I'm psyched to get my PSS' installed...two weeks baby! They arrived from Tire Rack to my Indy guy in under two business days...great business model.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:35 AM
kip
Ordered the Super Sport, cant wait until summer. I will also have to check weather it affects acceleration times. Hate the drive in period though, how long did you guys drive easy, I was told 500 km.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:04 AM
I haven't flogged mine yet - now 1,500 miles on them, seem to be working quite well.

Cole you will be very happy with the upgrade from your Pirelli's!

Also I noticed in the Motor Trend article and video of the PTT vs the RS7 that the PTT was shod with the Michelin PSS - not the PS2 and it pulled 1.03 g on their figure 8 course. That is a mean number for a useful family car!

Living in So. Cal you can get away with those last few miles, especially in a drought year like this one, hasn't rained in months.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
I have to agree with Supercup.

The PSS is the better all around tire. It rides quieter, grips nearly as much as the PS2 and offers a longer tread life. I also drive about 2,500 miles a month and go through new tires almost yearly. Whenever I have the option to put PSS on any of my company cars or personal, I take this route.

I also noticed that the PSS does better in the rain. Did you notice this as well supercup?

Old 01-27-2014, 01:19 PM
kip
Originally Posted by Fkim011
I have to agree with Supercup.

The PSS is the better all around tire. It rides quieter, grips nearly as much as the PS2.

I also noticed that the PSS does better in the rain. Did you notice this as well supercup?
It should grip Better, Why Say almost as Well?Michelin internal testing 2010 showed the pss To Stop 3 meters shorter than ps2 in the rain.

Last edited by kip; 01-27-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Fkim011

What is rain? We haven't seen any in months!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:08 AM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
What does the Porsche "N" rating mean? What would I be missing in going to the PSS which aren't "N" rated?

Old 01-28-2014, 12:10 AM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
What does the Porsche "N" rating mean? What would I be missing in going to the PSS which aren't "N" rated?

Jon

Old 01-28-2014, 04:44 AM
Originally Posted by jabed92694

Jon
I ordered my PSS' from TIre Rack, and they were "N" rated

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelins - PS2 or PSS