Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission linkage noise??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:13 AM
wassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of light
Transmission linkage noise??

Most of us are aware of the suspension clunks in front. Per the front end noise thread, dealer worked on mine for a couple weeks. After playing around with car today, I am able to duplicate a noise that I am almost certain is coming from the tranny. I can reproduce by moving very very slowly forward in normal drive and slightly fluttering gas pedal on and off but very very little. This intertia movement generates the noise(s). It is a linkage sound. The gear is not changing. It's stays same at this point. This same sound is heard starting from stop as well as nearing the end of stop.

Does anyone else experience this at all?

Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 AM
wassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of light
I am meeting with the Factory Rep on Friday at the dealership. Despite my best intentions I don't hold out much hope in a resolution. Like others have experienced, I'm being told these are normal for this car. Does anyone recommend or have any advice to how best to go about this?

To help me confirm my feelings, can ANYONE confirm whether or not they hear a metallic linkage type sound at the tail end of a stop and also from the beginning of moving from a stop? it comes from around tranny and sound like a manual transmission changing gears (clicking). Does anyone at all experience this or anything similar to this? I am told by dealer they drove 3 other S's and they all do it. Even if it is NORMAL, it's not normal and we shouldn't be hearing this or requiring radio playing to avoid it. LOL.

thanks for your help guys.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:53 AM
mtimmy415 is infamous around these parts
I have this noise on my GTR from every single gear..

but not in my PTT...... ...... its a linkage noise which... most manufaturer say it is normal mechanical sound

Old 02-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Thanks. 2 thoughts here. First is that if it does it some cars and not others it ISN'T Normal. If they can quiet it down on some, why not others?

The second is my noise isn't through the gears. It's solely a fraction of a second from stop and second or toe before coming to full stop. Super low speed both ways, same gear both ways as best I can tell. I have heard it very seldomly at other times but this is when it occurs. Every single time both ways.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:36 PM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
Any chance the brake pads are moving in the carriers and causing the noise? My BMW does exactly what you describe, and after quite a bit of testing, I found that the brake pads were slightly smaller than the carriers, and inertia either direction at low speed would cause them to "click" forward or backward against the carriers.
I know that Porsche updated the brake pads (and calipers) on Panameras midway through the 2010 model year. What year is your Panamera?

Old 02-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Excellent point! That was one of my original thoughts that the pads were moving. After 2 weeks with the suspension, all of it, looked at I have to assume they would have seen that.

I just noticed in the last 30 minutes as I was driving it is more prevalent as car gets warmer and also makes the noise during some turns. Haven't been able to narrow the turning part down though. Same noise, different sequence.

The linkage sound is kind of a one or two punch noise. The turning one was a one two three. Almost like a morse code tap sequence. I'm at a loss and if factory rep says it's normal than I'm **** out of luck.