Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport (paddle shift) or multifunction steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:24 AM
georgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of light
Sport (paddle shift) or multifunction steering wheel

Can anyone comment on why they chose the sport vs multifunction steering wheel? Thanks

Old 07-13-2014, 09:40 AM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
I wanted the functions on the wheel and didn't see a big reason to have to shift manually with such a good transmission.

I subsequently got a loaner with the sport wheel and the "plastic chrome" (or whatever it was) felt cheap, but it was really good at reflecting glare from the sun. Unfortunately, I didn't find that a desirable feature and I was really happy I got the multifuction wheel.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:07 PM
alex_123_fra is infamous around these parts
Having come from a Nissan GT-R which has both a multifunction steering wheel and proper paddle shifters, I have to say the PTT's multifunction wheel is a massive let down.

The button shifters on the PTT are rubbish and you have to press them down to shift up!! Having static paddle shifters behind the steering wheel allows much more flexibility when negotiating corners back to back on a track or fast country road. So even though my PTT's multifunction wheel looks beautiful in half carbon/half leather, this is going to be one of the first things I change. I don't see why Porsche doesn't have the ability to combine both steering wheels.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:45 PM
carsnob is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NiceCar
I wanted the functions on the wheel and didn't see a big reason to have to shift manually with such a good transmission.

I subsequently got a loaner with the sport wheel and the "plastic chrome" (or whatever it was) felt cheap, but it was really good at reflecting glare from the sun. Unfortunately, I didn't find that a desirable feature and I was really happy I got the multifuction wheel.
I agree.
For those of you with the sport steering wheel, how then do you scroll through the various functions on the dash, as you would with the multifunction steering wheel where you can go from map, to vehicle, to phone etc.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:03 PM
donutcritic is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bgluckdo
Can anyone comment on why they chose the sport vs multifunction steering wheel? Thanks
I chose the multifunction wheel for functionality, go figure. Being able to control volume along with car functions (right dial) is something I use nearly each time I drive the car. Second, it's possible to add the "sport" paddles via aftermarket tuners. I'm sure you can search for reasonable solutions if that appeals to you.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:28 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
I have both. I have a custom made thicker steering done from DCT and put the techart paddles on it.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by carsnob
I agree.
For those of you with the sport steering wheel, how then do you scroll through the various functions on the dash, as you would with the multifunction steering wheel where you can go from map, to vehicle, to phone etc.
I have both. The multi in my Panamera and the Sport in my CTT.

With the sport wheel, you have an extra stalk on the right hand side, behind the wheel to adjust through the various windows. The man thing you don't get is the ability to change volume from your steering wheel.

I think the only Porsche I would prefer the sport over the multi are the different 991 variants.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 AM
EliahP is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MrPrice
I have both. I have a custom made thicker steering done from DCT and put the techart paddles on it.
DCT steering wheels are a work of art!!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Banned
doktorek has a spectacular aura aboutdoktorek has a spectacular aura aboutdoktorek has a spectacular aura about
I just wish that thier multifunction also included RIGHT and LEFT button (to to change stations or songs or whatever else)
Thank God that they moved the LOCK and UNLOCK button onto a door in newer models. That middle lock button is a headache.
For most DD, paddles are not necessary. If you take the car to the track or race often - its a must.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:03 PM
umwolverine is infamous around these partsumwolverine is infamous around these parts
I would weigh in very strongly on this one. I have the sport wheel in my GTS and every loaner I get has the multifunction wheel, so I've got a good basis for comparison.

The sport wheel is absolutely beautiful - one of the best looking, best feeling wheels in any car I've ever driven. The multifunction wheel is just a disaster. The little rolling wheels on the multifunction are way too sensitive and difficult to index when adjusting the multifunction screen. With the sport wheel I just click the right hand lever on the column up/down or forward/back to change screens and/or functions. Very simple and much easier to operate than the little rolling wheels IMO. The shift buttons are an unmitigated disaster. One of the worst ergonomic decisions I've ever seen from Porsche.

I've never had a problem reaching for the volume **** to adjust, and that's about the only advantage I know of.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:47 PM
tonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of light
Someone should check whether the new macan steering wheel is a direct retrofit to those having the multifunction wheel. That way you get proper paddle with multifuction controls. I would've did it if mine came that way but I have the sport wheel.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:52 AM
EliahP is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tonyep
Someone should check whether the new macan steering wheel is a direct retrofit to those having the multifunction wheel. That way you get proper paddle with multifuction controls. I would've did it if mine came that way but I have the sport wheel.
Isn't the Mecan's steering wheel smaller than the Cayenne and Panamera steering wheel? It looks that way from the pictures

Old 07-16-2014, 07:31 PM
supercup is infamous around these parts
I have 2012 PTT - I have paddles - I have multi function wheel in my 6 spd 2009 Turbo Cab.

I like the multi function with the 6 speed. But I prefer the paddles for the pdk. I like the shift function of the paddles - quick, easy and intuitive.

There is a stick on the steering column that performs almost all the function of the buttons on the multifuction wheel, except adjust the volumne on the radio.

So like Umwolverine I don't mind reaching for the volume for the superior shift function of the paddles. I would get any future pdk with paddles.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:33 AM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tonyep
where to get macan wheel? this variant will be available at december probably. while this - multi with techart paddles is best choice

Old 07-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
I have the multifunction steering wheel on my P4S and the sport steering wheel on my 991 C4. The C4 is a MT, so no need for the paddles. I have to say that Porsche's multfunction steering wheel is quite nice and that I really like having so many control features conveniently placed on the steering wheel. The multifunction wheel on my P4S also has the shift points, but I find that I rarely use them. For me, as attractive as the sport steering wheel is, based on experience I think I would be more likely to select the multi-function wheel for a PDK car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport (paddle shift) or multifunction steering wheel