Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to tune my 2012 p turbo s, any suggetions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 03:06 AM
Pbread is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by makoto
thank you for your info, does GIAC has a software for turbo s? I didn't find it on their site, there's only The one for turbo , I assume they should use different software due to the different turbos and the power kit ?
If you are considering upgrading your turbos to the larger 20t size, your options for tune are FVD (stage 1-4) or a custom tune. The turbo upgrade is probably the best bang for your buck upgrade you can do on the panamera.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:32 AM
makoto is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Pbread
When the turbo S originally came out, Borg-Warner built the S model turbos with titanium-aluminum blades that were same size but supposed to spool 35% faster... Shortly after release however they were recalled and switched to the regular turbos and just a different ECU tune and I think a special intake manifold.
Yes I do remember that recall...my car has been through dat recall, They said replace the turbos for some reasons but they didn't say replace them with the regular ones, I ve never experienced any problems before they replaced them though, I was wondering why.......so did is why...

Old 09-12-2014, 03:48 AM
If you are considering upgrading your turbos to the larger 20t size, your options for tune are FVD (stage 1-4) or a custom tune. The turbo upgrade is probably the best bang for your buck upgrade you can do on the panamera.
Will not do the turbos in a short time I think, i saw dat thread below its a huge project, I have a golf r DSG which tuned by GIAC Extreme Ecu, with all the hardware , it seems pretty good so far, so I'm gonna try the Ecu tune , intake and sport cat dp first, I just wondering if they has a Ecu tune for turbo s or I can just use the turbo Ecu tune as well..

Old 09-12-2014, 08:17 AM
benblack is a jewel in the roughbenblack is a jewel in the roughbenblack is a jewel in the rough
Get a spare set of turbos like we did and have them done so it will be ready when you are

Old 09-13-2014, 06:03 AM
If I were you (as it sounds like you are thinking turbo upgrade eventually), I'd strongly consider doing the turbos at the same time you do DPs for a couple of reasons: you'll have to retune the ECU each time and I can only imagine doing these at the same time will cut down on the labor (DPs are a 6 hr job and turbos 10.5 hrs). Total cost can be a lot less than you are prob thinking here...

If you don't do at the same time, I'd strongly consider looking at the FVD tune as they support up to stage 4 with upgraded turbos vs others that do not (I actually am running a GIAC tune right now and unfortunately will not be supported in a few weeks when my upgraded turbos get installed) or a custom tune if you don't mind paying each time you tune...

Old 09-13-2014, 11:33 PM
If I were you (as it sounds like you are thinking turbo upgrade eventually), I'd strongly consider doing the turbos at the same time you do DPs for a couple of reasons: you'll have to retune the ECU each time and I can only imagine doing these at the same time will cut down on the labor (DPs are a 6 hr job and turbos 10.5 hrs). Total cost can be a lot less than you are prob thinking here... If you don't do at the same time, I'd strongly consider looking at the FVD tune as they support up to stage 4 with upgraded turbos vs others that do not (I actually am running a GIAC tune right now and unfortunately will not be supported in a few weeks when my upgraded turbos get installed) or a custom tune if you don't mind paying each time you tune...
Thx for the valuable information, as for the FVD turbo packages, do we need to upgrade the engine internals(pistons,etc..)? For that kind of pressure I donno if the engine can take it without faster worn, that's my concern so far, cuz for some other engines when they upgrade the turbos they need to strengthen their internals to make sure we can still drive it every day for a long time...also without accident damage of the engine when we floor it...so it should be a big work

Old 09-13-2014, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by benblack
Get a spare set of turbos like we did and have them done so it will be ready when you are
: ) Thx

Old 09-14-2014, 12:02 AM
benblack is a jewel in the roughbenblack is a jewel in the roughbenblack is a jewel in the rough
Internals can take it cayenne are running 800 plus with stock internals. The pdk will go into limp mode before the engine goes. So don't worry about that

Old 09-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Yup - the reputable German tuners (gemballa, FVD etc) are taking this platform both on the Cayenne and Panny to these levels safely. Like Ben says, the pdk will limit the tq by going into limp mode at around 715lbs tq so the tune needs to limit tq around 700 or so... Check out the gemballa panamera if you want to see some perf stats of what these upgrades should be able to do for your turbo S

Old 09-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Cayenne im.nobody. just swing what we can do I emailed dodson and the rep acted like he knew nothing and never got back to me about it. I wonder what that price would be. But I'm sure fvd and the big boys will get first crack because of their name. Be interesting to see. But if it's 10k. I may pass on that extension. But who knows. After 6 months I didn't think I'd be doing all this either. Pbread is doing his too.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Ya I agree PC92... Given the cost of turbo upgrade to 20T (and esp with the dodson coming out here shortly) - panamera is developing into an amazing tuning platform

Old 09-15-2014, 12:35 PM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
To be clear because I dont want to creatw any confusion , I did head any ofer from dodson , just read that they will have the pdk clutch ready by november and since every tuner request a test car when releasing a new product , I thought someone could take an advantage from it . I have read about dodson pdk upgrade not only in dodson page but also at their distributor even in greece , thats why I thought that the development is something serious .

Old 09-15-2014, 12:49 PM
I'd like to see it and wish I could get my hands on one. santa are you paying attention? Also a ugr gallardo. Stage r2. OK r1 will be fine too

Old 09-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Saw a UGR lambo win the 1/2 mile this weekend at the wanagofast event. I had Panamera represented out there as well

Old 09-15-2014, 01:17 PM
How did u run bread

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ready to tune my 2012 p turbo s, any suggetions?