Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2015 | 01:00 PM
|
fishpond is infamous around these parts
Panamera S E-Hybrid brakes

Hi All

I have a PSEH and absolutely love it.

However my brakes make an awful sound - typically when manoeuvring at slow speeds.

Does anyone else suffer this? Any suggestions on how to remedy?

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2015 | 02:50 PM
Gus_Smedstad is infamous around these parts
If you just bought the car, bring it up with your dealer. This is probably a good idea anyway, since we don't know for certain what's happening. Better to have a mechanic diagnose a problem than an internet forum.

That said, there are a variety of reasons your brakes can be noisy. The most common of course is that the pads are low and the wear indicator is scraping the rotor to let you know that. However, I'm assuming the car is new enough that it's not a matter of worn brake pads.

It can be a misalignment, and the brake rotor is vibrating. This is a dealer fix.

It can be "polished" brake pads, which you get from consistent gentle braking. The fix to that is to bed them in.

First you warm up the pads by doing some gentle braking from 60 MPH. Since you have an e-Hybrid, you have to brake past the "recharging" point on the power dial, since otherwise you're not actually engaging the brakes, you're using the electric motor to brake.

Then you do a succession of hard stops from 60 MPH to 20 MPH, once the pads are warm. You don't want to come to a complete stop, because you don't want to leave pad material on the hot rotors.

Then cruise for a while to let the rotors cool.

Old 03-27-2015 | 02:15 AM
|
fishpond is infamous around these parts
Great thanks for the tips. Based on your comments, I actually think it's most likely due to the fact that much of the braking is in regen mode so mechanical braking is generally used less frequently and is far less aggressive. Nevertheless I will take it in for a check up too.

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
If you just bought the car, bring it up with your dealer. This is probably a good idea anyway, since we don't know for certain what's happening. Better to have a mechanic diagnose a problem than an internet forum.

That said, there are a variety of reasons your brakes can be noisy. The most common of course is that the pads are low and the wear indicator is scraping the rotor to let you know that. However, I'm assuming the car is new enough that it's not a matter of worn brake pads.

It can be a misalignment, and the brake rotor is vibrating. This is a dealer fix.

It can be "polished" brake pads, which you get from consistent gentle braking. The fix to that is to bed them in.

First you warm up the pads by doing some gentle braking from 60 MPH. Since you have an e-Hybrid, you have to brake past the "recharging" point on the power dial, since otherwise you're not actually engaging the brakes, you're using the electric motor to brake.

Then you do a succession of hard stops from 60 MPH to 20 MPH, once the pads are warm. You don't want to come to a complete stop, because you don't want to leave pad material on the hot rotors.

Then cruise for a while to let the rotors cool.