Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Time porsche owner lil help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:06 PM
brianrobert is infamous around these parts
Question 1st Time porsche owner lil help please

Just picked dup my first Porsche Panamera 4 2014. I traded an LS 460 which I loved but wanted some new youthful styling...
I am loving this car expect for one major problem. A seriously annoying high pitch sound that occurs fairly often... The sound is similar to microphone feedback or a very high pitch whistle. I am certain it is related to the engine... I have seen a few other posts and plan to look closer at them. The car has 700 miles on it. I brought it back and the service manager advised me the following. "The car is fine, You will learn to live with it, You need to understand this is a much louder car then your previous car, turn the radio up, you will get use to it, nothing we can do" I am thinking for $100K + car there has to be something they can do. I really want this to work out as I love the car outside of this problem. I would greatly appreciate any advice on this unfortunate issue. Best wishes....
Brian

Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 PM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
Yes, do some searches for whistle and pitch in this forum.

I haven't heard of the '14 models doing it.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:03 AM
absolutionrome is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by brianrobert
Just picked dup my first Porsche Panamera 4 2014. I traded an LS 460 which I loved but wanted some new youthful styling...
I am loving this car expect for one major problem. A seriously annoying high pitch sound that occurs fairly often... The sound is similar to microphone feedback or a very high pitch whistle. I am certain it is related to the engine... I have seen a few other posts and plan to look closer at them. The car has 700 miles on it. I brought it back and the service manager advised me the following. "The car is fine, You will learn to live with it, You need to understand this is a much louder car then your previous car, turn the radio up, you will get use to it, nothing we can do" I am thinking for $100K + car there has to be something they can do. I really want this to work out as I love the car outside of this problem. I would greatly appreciate any advice on this unfortunate issue. Best wishes....
Brian
I have the same problem on my 2014 panamera 4. I am taking it to my dealer tomorrow or monday. I will update you on that. My car also makes some clunking noise coming from pdk transmission. The whistling comes from the engine because it is a dfi. But my whistle is louder than normal at certain speeds.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:44 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
Since you live in my area I have to ask, what dealer told you that? A couple things that come to mind, did you hear this noise when you test drove the car? Does it make the noise when it idles? Is it possible the noise is coming from the wheels and not the engine? I think the service manager's comment was unprofessional and ignorant and is not likely to get the dealer repeat business. Yes your Lexus is a more isolated type of car but turn the radio up and get used to it is not how you deal with a customers issue. I have a fairly good relationship to the local dealers (you tend to get that after 40 Porsche's) and I think the principals would want to know that they have someone working for them that would tell a customer that. I know I would.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:35 AM
Dpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to beholdDpm7471 is a splendid one to behold
I have a 2012 turbo s, and I will sometimes hear a suttle noise which seems to be coming from the front. I turn down the fan speed on my AC, and it goes away. I don't know if this helps, but let me know if that changes your situation any.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by MrPrice
Since you live in my area I have to ask, what dealer told you that? A couple things that come to mind, did you hear this noise when you test drove the car? Does it make the noise when it idles? Is it possible the noise is coming from the wheels and not the engine? I think the service manager's comment was unprofessional and ignorant and is not likely to get the dealer repeat business. Yes your Lexus is a more isolated type of car but turn the radio up and get used to it is not how you deal with a customers issue. I have a fairly good relationship to the local dealers (you tend to get that after 40 Porsche's) and I think the principals would want to know that they have someone working for them that would tell a customer that. I know I would.
I bought my car out of state and never got a chance to test drive or look at it. I tried searching through this forum and found that this whistling noise used to be a big problem until porsche introduced an official fix. Apperantly the whistling is getting resonated from the ac vents. I am not sure of the problem but you can find it in this forum. I will try bring this is up to the service manager. The rattle is hear is coming from the wing and i did see a post that states the wing unit just needed some lubrication and re-install. I heard the noise when the ac is turned on.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
I had a 2014 and I can't recall a noise like that. I was going to say it might be the turbo spooling up but you have the NA version of the engine.

I did have the thermal insulated windows that could of kept the noise out...

Old 04-03-2015, 04:11 PM
nick.kapoor is infamous around these parts
I had the high pitch noise and got it solved by first diagnosing the location on the hatch which can cause a whistling sound at certain speeds. Used carpenter tape to cover the gap for entire hatch. Remove sections of the tape till you realize which section is causing grief. Then take it to the dealer and tell them to adjust the hatch. Should take less than 5 minutes.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:57 PM
dlhsu is infamous around these parts
Hi,

I have a 2013 Panamera 4 that exhibits a similar high pitched noise. I have taken it to the dealer several times and every time they fix it, the sound comes back after a few days:

Work completed:
-water pump replaced
-tension pulley replaced

I noticed that it is most prominent at 1800 RPM in 7th gear, which is roughly around 64-66 mph on the freeway. The dealer has been helpful but not willing to replace every pulley or bearing to see if it is causing the noise.

It seems very similar to the problems that are being discussed in this thread... Has anyone determined a way to debug the source of the sound?

Old 04-12-2015, 12:05 AM
my car is finally back from service and I still can hear the high pitched noise. My SA said that everything seemed to be normal and there is no open campaign on my car or any fault code. I looked through older post and found that pre facelift panamera with AWD have this noise. Porsche did release an official fix for it however when I showed the service ticket to my SA he said the fix doesn't apply to my car.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:50 PM
Yogi784 is infamous around these parts
I have a 2014 S and no whistle, after about 8k miles. Does not seem that a noise like that would be normal.