Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot sport vs super sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:53 PM
absolutionrome is infamous around these parts

I have20' michelin pilot sport on my panamera 4 but i notice that it is not a standard equipement on the porsche tire guide. There is an n0 marking on the tires, is it called the pilot sport ps2? Not just pilot sport. In addition I feel the huge difference in the performance after swapping out my all season 19'. However my ride quality has become much more firm! Is it worth upgrading to the pilit super sport from the pilot sport?

Old 04-26-2015, 09:12 PM
TheBeav is infamous around these parts

I can't compare, but the PSS on 20" wheels are absolutely superb tires. I have ~13K miles in mine and am still loving their performance relative to supple quiet ride.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:00 AM
P.Viby is infamous around these parts
All approved tyres form Porsche has the N markings. There can be from absolutely no difference at all to a huge difference from the standard tyre to the N marked tyres.

The Michelin tyres are very good with a good balance between grib and tyre wear.

The Pirelli tyres are also good. Last longer but needs to warm up before you have a good grib. Plus they get very hard with age.

Continental is somewhere in between. Wear is not good, but it provide good grib even when it gets older.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:44 AM
dudecs is a jewel in the roughdudecs is a jewel in the roughdudecs is a jewel in the rough
Currently, Tire Rack only shows Pilot Super Sport (PSS) for 20" Michelin summer tires. Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) a little bit more expensive and lower tread wear rating (ie, stickier) than PSS. Some people have commented that PS2 have stiffer sidewalls than PSS. Not necessarily an "upgrade" going from PS2 to PSS. Depends on what you are after.

The firmer ride is also a side effect of your wheel/tire swap from 19" to 20".

I have just swapped my winters from 19" to summer 20". Also had to replace my worn summer tires from Pirelli to PSS. Need an alignment before putting miles on the new tires. Outside tread wore slightly faster than inside tread on all tires.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:44 AM
feeltherush is infamous around these partsfeeltherush is infamous around these parts
The pss have done very well for me all around. That includes being quiet, great grip drifting around cones, highway, etc. Even if it gets any better, these are pretty nice. 20"

Old 04-27-2015, 05:02 PM
MTRX is infamous around these parts
I did some research on this several months back and it looks like PSS is a newer model and is improved over PS and slightly less expensive. My local tire shop also told me that they don't wear as fast as PS but could be slightly harder, although I read online that they seems to be as soft on the ride as PS. I don't see any reasons going for PS over SS.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:14 PM
bornagain1973 is infamous around these parts

Old 04-28-2015, 03:50 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Pilot Sports are an older model tire - We've done Pilot Super Sports on just about every Porsche model that exists at one point or another, nothing but fatter wallets, better handling/wear characteristics, and satisfied new tire owners.

Zero reason to look elsewhere for 90% of the general population on these.