Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 07:39 PM
Porsche246 is infamous around these parts
Hey all, Until I had BMW's I always had remote starters installed but with the push button it was a risky install so I never did it. Now that I have a Panamera (with entry and drive) being that there is not push button, is it something that can be done easier? Anyone done it? Does Porsche do it? Thanks!

Old 10-15-2015, 10:27 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
My service rep said don't do it.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:24 AM
Ginuwine209 is infamous around these parts
Why did he say don't do it?

Old 10-17-2015, 12:58 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
Car is garaged, I live in the South, so minimal benefit other than it being a "neat trick." He just said you don't want to risk introducing an aftermarket product like that on an expensive engine. Interestingly, I understood a few weeks later what he meant. I was driving to work and the coolant housing cracked and I lost coolant at a rapid rate. What if that had happened right before I rolled into the garage the night before and didn't realize it? Then remote started it without checking on it for 15 min? This is not a factory part and untested. I did some reading, and you don't know which systems do what. The GM system won't crank the car if a warning light comes on. Would an aftermarket system do this?

I do have a remote start on my 1997 Landcrusier, but that is a different situation (old,cheap,not garaged). With the Porsche, it's just not worth the risk of blowing up a $40k engine, or burning up the car and the house

Old 10-17-2015, 05:39 PM
Goonie is infamous around these parts
I think the engine would shut itself down if there was no coolant. Porsche builds in many fail safes.

Have no idea about auto start tho. You have to push in the brake to start the car so not sure how that would be bypassed