Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service required

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 07:26 AM
absolutionrome is infamous around these parts
Service required

I bought a 2014 panamera 4 brand new far below MSRP last year. This car was made from the factory at december 2013 therefore it has not been driven quite awhile despite being brand new with only 70 miles. I went to a dealership in ohio for a service because they advised that since the car aged by time not by miles I should do some service. Now i finally got an interim service message coming up at around 8000 miles, naturally I called the dealer to do a service and found out it is not covered by the warranty and will cost me around 700 dollars. My question to you guys is should I go for this service even though it sounded simillar to a service I did in the Ohio dealership or wait until i reach 10,000 miles? And is the service cost correct? Also this new dealer I called told me that my service is equivelant to a 20,000 miles service not a 10,000 because of age. Thanks for the help in advance guys!

Old 01-11-2016, 08:37 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Are you saying it's been a year since the initial service in Ohio? That would mean the Mobil1 synthetic oil in your crankcase is over a year old. It should be changed.

Porsche used to require an oil change at 1 year after purchase or 10,000, whichever came first. About 1-2 years ago, they changed to 1 year from date of production. Apparently, Mobil1 agrees. My new BMW 5 series, also called for an oil change at 1 year from date of build even though it had just 5,600 miles on it. Many now believe that synthetic oil, despite the superior lubrication and heat-resistance properties, breaks down over time.

The rest of the service is just them checking stuff (pad thicknesses, etc) and updating all your software revisions, which happens all the time.

The oil change is essential. Get it done asap. Failure to provide evidence that you changed it on time might cause Porsche to deny engine repairs if something catastrophic happens while in the 4-year/50K period. An indie shop would charge you about $100-150 for labor plus the cost of the 8-9 qts. of oil and filter. They can also check stuff, but probably not be able to upload all the software updates.

Porsche service is never free, unlike BMW, which provides free service during the 4-year/50,000 mile warranty (although the cost of that is certainly baked into the price of the car, probably $800-1200, depending upon the model).

Last edited by TTCarrera; 01-11-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
Are you saying it's been a year since the initial service in Ohio? That would mean the Mobil1 synthetic oil in your crankcase is over a year old. It should be changed.

Porsche used to require an oil change at 1 year after purchase or 10,000, whichever came first. About 1-2 years ago, they changed to 1 year from date of production. Apparently, Mobil1 agrees. My new BMW 5 series, also called for an oil change at 1 year from date of build even though it had just 5,600 miles on it. Many now believe that synthetic oil, despite the superior lubrication and heat-resistance properties, breaks down over time.

The rest of the service is just them checking stuff (pad thicknesses, etc) and updating all your software revisions, which happens all the time.

The oil change is essential. Get it done asap. Failure to provide evidence that you changed it on time might cause Porsche to deny engine repairs if something catastrophic happens while in the 4-year/50K period. An indie shop would charge you about $100-150 for labor plus the cost of the 8-9 qts. of oil and filter. They can also check stuff, but probably not be able to upload all the software updates.

Porsche service is never free, unlike BMW, which provides free service during the 4-year/50,000 mile warranty (although the cost of that is certainly baked into the price of the car, probably $800-1200, depending upon the model).
Thanks for the info. So it has not been a year since the initial service in Ohio. I would also like to add that before receiving the car the intial dealer I bought it with told me they were going to all service checks to make sure the car is running perfectly. Then after recieving it I took my own intiative to bring it to the Ohio dealer. Here are some of the things done to the car. So should I bring it to service now or later?

Old 01-12-2016, 11:49 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
If it hasn't been a year and you only have a total of 8,000 miles, it sounds like they didn't reset the system to start the clock or miles all over again.

If it was me, I'd wait until 1 year or 10,000 miles for the next oil change.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:12 AM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
With the quantity of oil the panamera consumes I think that service should be done every 10k miles not in one year

Old 01-13-2016, 08:32 AM
Really? You'd defer an oil change beyond 1 year, despite low mileage, just because of the quantity (cost) of 8-9 qts. of Mobil1?

With both Porsche and BMW recently requiring a change of the factory fill at 1 year from date of production instead of 1 year from date of sale (which could mean your oil could be up to 20-22 months old if you bought a left-over), it seems that they are driving towards being more conservative on this issue, rather than taking additional risk.

I would hate to have 2-year old oil in my 7,000 mile crankcase and burn a piston or have a valve guide go and then get into an interesting discussion with Porsche AG about who is going to pay for the engine re-build.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:41 AM
Really? You'd defer an oil change beyond 1 year, despite low mileage, just because of the quantity (cost) of 8-9 qts. of Mobil1?

With both Porsche and BMW recently requiring a change of the factory fill at 1 year from date of production instead of 1 year from date of sale (which could mean your oil could be up to 20-22 months old if you bought a left-over), it seems that they are driving towards being more conservative on this issue, rather than taking additional risk.

I would hate to have 2-year old oil in my 7,000 mile crankcase and burn a piston or have a valve guide go and then get into an interesting discussion with Porsche AG about who is going to pay for the engine re-build.
So from the service picture i uploaded has the ohio dealer done an oil change for my car? All i saw was mobil one oil does that mean they just topped it?

Old 01-13-2016, 09:24 AM
I don't see a date. But the service order says they charged you for an oil filter, O-ring, aluminum crush-nut and 9 qts. of Mobil1 0W-40 synthetic oil.

Unless they gave that stuff to somebody else, it seems that they changed your oil.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:28 AM
I don't see a date. But the service order says they charged you for an oil filter, O-ring, aluminum crush-nut and 9 qts. of Mobil1 0W-40 synthetic oil.

Unless they gave that stuff to somebody else, it seems that they changed your oil.
Thank you so much for your help! I did it on april but the picture just cut out the dates. Looks like i will just change it on april or whenever i reach 10k.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:25 AM
flee630 is a glorious beacon of lightflee630 is a glorious beacon of lightflee630 is a glorious beacon of lightflee630 is a glorious beacon of lightflee630 is a glorious beacon of lightflee630 is a glorious beacon of light
congrats on the panamera! Quick tip: Always remember to retract your rear spoiler. if you leave it up all the time, debris, leaf litter and water will get in there and your spoiler drive will fail.