Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera great bang for the buck? Why so cheap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Michaelgrey is infamous around these parts
Panamera great bang for the buck? Why so cheap?

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Over here in Europe, one can't but notice how affordable used Panameras are.

Say you want a 2011 or newer, max 50k miles. Plenty of examples start off around 50 grand (EUR) on mobile.de

Most of them look brand new, it seems you get a lot of car for your buck.

What's the catch? Is there any?

-
Michael

Old 04-06-2016, 03:09 PM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
No no catch at all , it really surprise me how can you get a 2009 panamera turbo for 55-65k but 997 turbo pdk for 90K

Old 04-06-2016, 04:32 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Depreciation, supply, and demand varies depending on the vehicle.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 PM
Gus_Smedstad is infamous around these parts
They're not cheap new.

Used, there's the issue that a big, four door sedan is not nearly as sexy as a sport coupe, whatever the power or performance. I also suspect the Panamera cornering ability isn't widely understood. The assumption is that a big, heavy car can't do that.

Heck, I'm currently debating replacing my Panamera S e Hybrid with a sports coupe of some kind - a BMW i8 or Jaguar F-type R, for example. I don't love my car the way I loved my previous car, which was a sport coupe. There's this nagging feeling that I'm driving a station wagon.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:23 AM
mziegler38 is infamous around these parts
I just traded my 2013 hybrid for a PGTS. Try driving a PGTS, no comparison to a Hybrid.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:32 AM
allroadusa has a spectacular aura aboutallroadusa has a spectacular aura about
Even in Europe, Panamera retains value higher than competitors. See Audi A7/A8 or BMW 6 Gran Coupe or 7 series, they will depreciate faster.
But it's a matter of fact, such kind of premium sedan are not much appreciated in Europe. Segment market share is decreasing. Gas price, maintenance costs, interior room (compared to SUV) are the 3 main reasons for that.
But this is a good opportunity for enthusiasts like us to drive amazin cars.
Fyi, I bought my PTT from Germany 1 year ago @ 50kmiles for 55k€, Porsche Approved warranty. No regret.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by mziegler38
I just traded my 2013 hybrid for a PGTS. Try driving a PGTS, no comparison to a Hybrid.
The 2013 hybrid's a different animal from the 2014+ hybrid. If for no other reason than the electric motor is twice as powerful (95 vs. 47 HP), with a corresponding increase in low-RPM torque.

In terms of grunt, the GTS is pretty similar. The SeH has more torque at all engine speeds, substantially more at low RPM due to the electric motor. The big problem is weight; if you look at power / weight curves, the GTS starts to pull ahead above 5000 RPM.

That said, I've been considering testing out a GTS or Turbo, just to see if the lower weight of the GTS or the boost in power from the Turbo would make me feel better about driving the car.

The size and profile of the Panamera aren't going to change, though, and I know I'd feel better owning a comparable coupe. The big issue is cargo space; there are times that the 10-15 cubic feet you can get in a coupe just isn't enough.

What I really want is something with the size and looks of the Mission E.

Never mind whether it's electric or not; something that's a bit bigger than a coupe without going as big as the Panamera, while retaining the look. The other sports sedans don't even try and retain the look.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:56 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
The major issue is the depreciation of the cars which is huge, almost speaks to the gouging that the dealers do with the brand new cars.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:07 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I also suspect the Panamera cornering ability isn't widely understood. The assumption is that a big, heavy car can't do that.

Heck, I'm currently debating replacing my Panamera S e Hybrid with a sports coupe of some kind - a BMW i8 or Jaguar F-type R, for example. I don't love my car the way I loved my previous car, which was a sport coupe. There's this nagging feeling that I'm driving a station wagon.
Assumption is the problem especially people that do not know Porsche well.

Hey, I love my E500 wagon! Fantastic car and it really does not feel like you're driving a 1995 Buick Roadmaster wagon.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by OEkun1
The major issue is the depreciation of the cars which is huge, almost speaks to the gouging that the dealers do with the brand new cars.
Actually, it doesn't. Oh, sure, dealers will gouge when they can, but used car prices aren't about the "real" value of a new car. What it says is that buyers put a pretty high premium on new cars, and aren't willing to pay as much for used cars, even if the used car is only a year old and has maybe 2000 miles on it.

From everything I've read, the dealer margin on new cars is rather slimmer than the margin on used. If you want to talk about dealer price gouging, it's on trade-in values - dealers pay far less than the car is worth on the open market, simply because so few people are willing to go through the hassle of a selling the car themselves.