Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

970 Cylinder Machining?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 03:35 PM
uknowstu is infamous around these parts
970 Cylinder Machining?

Hi! I have a 2010 Panamera 4.8l tt that I bought because it had a water damaged engine. Tear down is complete, and I have the parts that need machining at Patterson Elite (http://www.patterson-elite.com). Although I just dropped the parts off today, by this afternoon Todd Patterson had a challenge for me. The block is one solid piece of aluminum (so it seems), therefore the cylinder walls are aluminum and do not appear to be sleeved currently.
The water damage bent a rod and the result was a scored cylinder, so the challenge is...how do we machine this cylinder? It seems if we follow the standard boring process, when the new pistons and rings go in, the rings will severely score the newly machined cylinder.
Does anyone have any idea how they built these cylinders at the factory and if this engine can even be machined?
Thanks!

Old 09-28-2016, 05:56 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
If your builder can t answer that I d be concerned....
You should post this in the tech section. Not too much in depth here on the Panamera section. Even the 997 section had more knowledge than this section. Just saying..

Old 09-28-2016, 07:34 PM
uknowstu is infamous around these parts
Well I am the builder and no I cannot answer this prior to a great response from the Pelican forum. The machine shop I am using does racing engines for NHRA, and usually does not (never) get into foreign engines. The stuff he has in his shop are 800 + cubes, so really he is someone I trust to do the job correctly once I supply the appropriate data.
But if anyone else is having the same head scratching moment as I was...Alusil is the answer, and more can be learned here http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...sil-bores.html
Thanks though for "just saying"

Old 09-29-2016, 06:39 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
good read, are you going to just re ring or light bore?? I d be nervous , good luck.