Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche

Is my coolant reservoir missing a sensor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2018 | 07:12 AM
|
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Is my coolant reservoir missing a sensor?

I was comparing what my coolant reservoir looks like with online pics. Starting to think its missing something, like the level sensor (red needle telling you to put in more or that its too full, etc).

Can anyone with the know how, chime in? Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cool.jpg
Views:	1212
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	528010  
Old 06-28-2018 | 07:22 AM
HP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the rough
It does look like you are missing the level indicator. If your engine was cold when your photo was taken, you have significantly more coolant (higher level) than my engine calls for. My needle is slightly lower than mid-point. Engine is cold. No visible coolant at level device.

Regards,

Old 06-28-2018 | 09:43 AM
|
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
guess looks like I will have to take a close look at the tank and see what is going on. There appears to be level indicator part that is available, although I initially thought it would be part of the tank (guess not true).

Old 06-28-2018 | 10:11 AM
Small Car Lover is infamous around these parts
I agree with HP41, the coolant level looks high to me. I suspect your level needle is pegged high and it's underneath the yellow plastic. If you draw some fluid out you may find the needle becomes visible again.

Old 06-28-2018 | 10:17 AM
|
I put more coolant since I did not see any needle to tell the level. After reading the manual I wondered why I do not see the red indicator. Looking closely online shows there is a level sensor needle that should be in the tank. Not knowing more, I kept the level at what is shown above since had no base for what it should look like. Now I know.
I do not think I see any red indicators if level is lower, but will try to draw out some to verify.
The level sensor should be in the slot inside yellow plastic, so does not appear to me its there.

Old 06-29-2018 | 07:12 AM
|
Had a chance to look closer into this (literally - lol).

Looking closely at opening of the reservoir, I am able to see the sensor needle.
The problem I see is that it appears to be pushed against the + side of the opening.
Look closely under the + sign and you will see the pinkish/reddish plastic under the fluid.
When I pour fluid into the reservoir, the needle remains on that side.
I can move it with a small flat tool, but as soon as I let it go, it returns back to that side.

Is there a fix for this? Do I need to remove the reservoir to look at the function, or is there a way to remove/replace the sensor without removing the entire reservoir?

Thank you for help.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cool3.png
Views:	87
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	528039  
Old 06-29-2018 | 07:21 AM
HP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the rough
Your system is overfilled. Remove enough coolant to get the needle back into the mid-range.

Easiest way may be to open the radiator petcock drain to remove coolant. (photo for location reference)

Old 06-29-2018 | 10:14 AM
|
I will do this and see. Appreciate your helping me with this. Will check again.
Feeling nervous not being able to see the fluid visually.
Read instructions after getting the car, but the level was as shown from the dealer, so I assumed I should be able to see the level as is normal for most cars I drove.

Old 06-29-2018 | 02:14 PM
I agree the system is well overfilled. You need to remove coolant to get the indicator back to the mid range. When the system is correctly filled you can not see the fluid level. This is the reason for the indicator.

Old 06-29-2018 | 06:53 PM
One reason you can't see coolant at the normal level is because the system needs expansion space for the liquid to expand as it is heated from ambient to ~100˚C.

I was unable to find a definitive coolant fill volume for the Panamera's ... if you assume a 14 quart system, the required expansion space just for the liquid coolant to expand from 18˚C to 100˚C is ~0.6 quarts. If you don't have at least this much free space, the system will liquid lock when heated and release coolant out the pressure relief valve to accommodate the expansion.

Many vehicles have a coolant reservoir that is visible with a fill line that acts as the expansion tank .. in the Panamera the tank is hidden under the cowling. I assume that's why we have the level indicator to show the proper level to allow for expansion.

Old 07-02-2018 | 04:52 PM
|
I managed to siphon out about two glasses of coolant from the reservoir, to see the needle and put it into middle. Now I know how its supposed to look.
Thanks for your help.

Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2018 | 05:42 PM
Thumbs up

Good Job! Glad you worked out.