Porsche panamera A/C blowing hot air

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:36 PM
panamera_lou is infamous around these parts
Porsche panamera A/C blowing hot air

a/c blowing hot air recently changed the a/C compressor and now im getting
fault code 008130
“Potentiometer Centre Vent Front Left , Short Circuit To Battery Positive/ Open Circuit”

Old 07-30-2018, 09:42 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Guess the main questions you probably have answers to by now:
- does the pressurized system hold vacuum?
- is there proper amount of oil in ac compressor that was installed?
- When you turn on ac, does the blower motor run?
- can you make the ac compressor engage/disengage (if has a clutch on it)
- was correct amount of refrigerant put into car when work was done?
- how old is your battery? Is it charged fully? Porsche is notorious for electrical issues when battery is low or on way out.

Have you checked the connector at the center vent front? You can pry out the vent, reconnect the cable, see if helps.
just checked FSM, the car has stepper motors that control temp mixing, air strength, etc. If one of these fails, you wont have ac blowing correctly even if the refrigerant is set right.
I would first ensure compressor is working (fuses, installation, etc). Then I would check to make sure all other fuses work OK. Then move onto blower motors and voltage regulators that control the blowers (make sure they work - at least probe signals there).
Then would move to stepper motors, Not sure if Durametric allows testing of these. If yes, then you can see if the test value for moving a motor goes from min to max and back. If it does not, then motor does not have full range of function. Sometimes reconnect works, but mostly if stepper motor goes bad, it needs replacing.

That is all I can cay now. I know this because Cayenne has similar setup - stepper motors controlling mixing, etc (has like 16 of them). Eliminate the most basic stuff first, then move onto less obvious stuff.
Hope this helps. I do not know what the code means, but the vent location message clearly detects some sort of ungrounded condition.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:03 AM
panamera_lou is infamous around these parts
Where Is the the center vent front & blower motors located & stepper motors/ voltage regulators , the fuses are all good the compressor was just changed the code i was getting last week from compressor is gone & the compressor is turning on last week it wasnt running so was replaced so please point me to direction of the other stuff you mentioned thanks

Old 08-01-2018, 10:56 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
stepper motors located in the dashboard, sides of dash and inside it, under somewhat. Check durametric to see if they have diags section for hvac, so you can test these motors. It should tell you what the range of the motor should be (volts and deg.), and the actual values read out (so you can tell if the motor moves all the way, or just partially). If partial, then on way out and needs replacement. Assuming the ac and no leaks to worry about, this is a likely cause for lack of ac on porsche cars - the stepper motors. Or the blower fans/motors. Blower motor/fan is located under the glove box. You will know it does not work if you switch to high setting but do not hear the blower blow air. It is controlled by a VRM (voltage regulator) which should be in the vicinity of the blower.
Getting to the blower means removing the foot well cover for front passenger. Then you will see a cylindrical cone sticking down. That is the housing for the blower fan/motor. If it is faulty, replacement is needed as you cannot repair easily yourself.
In my cayenne, a VRM failed. I diagnosed by having Durametric tell me vrm voltage is bad. Purchased new one, replaced, and all wall well. About 6 months later, blower stopped blowing again.
So again, Durametric told me blower not blowing (no crap). Replaced the blower, and never had issue since.

Again, there are many variables in AC work on porsche cars.
Start with the basics, eliminate leaks, replace defective parts (compressor, dryer, expansion valve, etc), then, load correct liquid into it with oil for ac. If not blowing, determine if vrm/blower need replacement.
Once all that done, you can tackle stepper motors (not sure how much durametric has in terms of diagnozing them). If there is test section for motors, you will be able to tell if you need to replace or not.
Once all parts replaced that need it, you can have properly pressurized system blowing full air with windows closed, and recirculation on, through main front vents, then you compare vent temp to chart, which tells you what the vent temp should be at a particular ambient (outside car) temperature. There is another chart for system pressure too. you compare to ensure you do not over pressurize system to prevent failure in near future.
Once you load the system, you should have ice cold air again.

Careful with DIY gauges, I had a case of them causing leak at the connection under the hood on low side. Basically since they are rentals, folks do not care for them much. The low side of gauges had bad connector, so when I plugged it into my low side on car, it damaged the fitting/seal at the connection. This caused my car to leak out refrigerant, causing another failure (leak was small). So do not tighten hard, check connections before using, etc.

Hope this helps. Thanks.