Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera Air Suspension System Info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 10:20 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Raise car front up on Jack's, to not be slammed all the way down. Then turn car on and wait for suspension to fill over 15 or 20 min.
The pressure sensor fault seems to indicate internal issue in shock.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:52 AM
beefyj is infamous around these parts
Could this code be causing the "chassis system failure" message in the dash? The Panamera has been on jack stands for weeks now during the troubleshooting. Should I put a little weight on the front shocks?

Originally Posted by ciaka
Raise car front up on Jack's, to not be slammed all the way down. Then turn car on and wait for suspension to fill over 15 or 20 min.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:56 AM
jzchen is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by beefyj
Could this code be causing the "chassis system failure" message in the dash? The Panamera has been on jack stands for weeks now during the troubleshooting. Should I put a little weight on the front shocks?
Try to pressurize the system with 16 - 17 bar. Not sure how you’ll do this without a PIWIS 2 or 3, (clones are out there). If possible with nitrogen 5.0 grade air...

Old 10-26-2019, 09:00 AM
If possible also fill each strut you replaced directly with +7 bar +1 bar air. I guess that means fill it with 7 bar, then increase to 8 bar.

Now that I have the document in front of me, system air pressure to 16 bar, then I guess increase to 17 bar.

Last edited by jzchen; 10-26-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:08 AM

Mods please delete if necessary....
Try to pressurize the system with 16 - 17 bar. Not sure how you’ll do this without a PIWIS 2 or 3, (clones are out there). If possible with nitrogen 5.0 grade air...

Old 10-27-2019, 02:03 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
If your car is on jack stands, the elevation of chassis can cause error. You dont want car to slam as it can damage internal parts, which would mean replacement of shocks (again).
The car being slammed down can give you the errors too.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:23 AM
beefyj is infamous around these parts
Had the same issue you described in other threads, ciaka...

Put the connectors for the old RF strut back on and the faults all cleared... going to be installing another new strut.

Good news is the system is all charged with Nitrogen and ready to fill this RF strut... Luckily it was the one you fill the system from..

Thanks for everyones help!

Old 11-08-2019, 02:02 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ciaka

Love your stuff Ciaka, I have been dealing with this stuff for many years. I have already replaced the struts. My compressor is not going on at all so I assume it has to be replaced. I will install on Monday. After installation does anything have to be reprogrammed? Is it just plug and play? I have error code P1583 Sport mode not available below limit value. Do you think this is related to the compressor being bad?

Old 11-08-2019, 03:06 PM
Thank you Duane.
The code is most likely from suspension. Sport mode requires air suspension full operation and height set properly.
Unless you have cool or plug issues, which can throw similar codes, it's from suspension.
With new compressor, make sure you replace relay for it. New design, helps compressor wear less.

Thank you.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:52 AM
swdunne is infamous around these parts
2010 Panamera 4S... Anyone know if the Suspension ECU in the left rear trunk can be replaced without programming? I am replacing the compressor and if that doesn't work will try ECU (though it "looks" brand new). PO had both front struts rebuilt and manifold (valve block) replaced all at Porsche dealer for $7,000 just 4 weeks ago ( they charged $1,900 to rebuild EACH strut plus labor to R&R the struts). Car drove fine for about 30 miles now left front squatting all the way down. I towed to dealer for 24 Month P&L warranty. They tell me the compressor must be replaced to the tune of $2500 before they will even address the front left strut under warranty. Compressor turns on, runs a bit intermittently. Opened it up and rod and piston OK but no idea if it actually making pressure. Have RMT compressor coming then if still no good back to Porsche Dealer. Hope that makes a difference. Reason I question ECU is when the suspension started acting up after 30 miles or so, cycling car on and off got it to work for awhile. Finally front left corner squatted permanently. Lot's of odd messages, sometimes chassis failure, sometimes car extremely low, can't get system to turn off holding button down for 10 seconds, etc.... Also Snap On box showing PASM ECU fault. Of course it also showing pressure too low to operate...i.e. compressor??

Last edited by swdunne; 11-12-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:09 PM
Mazurda is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by swdunne
2010 Panamera 4S... Anyone know if the Suspension ECU in the left rear trunk can be replaced without programming? I am replacing the compressor and if that doesn't work will try ECU (though it "looks" brand new). PO had both front struts rebuilt and manifold (valve block) replaced all at Porsche dealer for $7,000 just 4 weeks ago ( they charged $1,900 to rebuild EACH strut plus labor to R&R the struts). Car drove fine for about 30 miles now left front squatting all the way down. I towed to dealer for 24 Month P&L warranty. They tell me the compressor must be replaced to the tune of $2500 before they will even address the front left strut under warranty. Compressor turns on, runs a bit intermittently. Opened it up and rod and piston OK but no idea if it actually making pressure. Have RMT compressor coming then if still no good back to Porsche Dealer. Hope that makes a difference. Reason I question ECU is when the suspension started acting up after 30 miles or so, cycling car on and off got it to work for awhile. Finally front left corner squatted permanently. Lot's of odd messages, sometimes chassis failure, sometimes car extremely low, can't get system to turn off holding button down for 10 seconds, etc.... Also Snap On box showing PASM ECU fault. Of course it also showing pressure too low to operate...i.e. compressor??

Sounds like bad or broken level sensors that you can see when looking through front tires connected to upper control arms. If you see a small piece hanging or even of it was broken and reattached incorrectly, this will all happen. They are about $50 each used on ebay. you would need 2, make sure they are for your correct suspension setup

Old 11-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Thank you for the response. We actually looked at that and they look fine. Also, our Snap On Modis actually shows the level of each corner and it appears correct. For example shows the left rear 1MM below normal for normal height and the front left 90MM low. Actual measurements to the center of the respective wheels is pretty much right on. Front right is standing but at about 65MM from normal. My guess is the computer is trying to level the front right with the front left that is down over the tire. By the way the Modis has a menu to set the car to level but it won't move. Digging deeper Modis says pressure "too low". So perhaps the compressor not able to pressure the accumulator enough hence replacement. Am guessing that it would take multiple attempts to fill the accumulator to keep the compressor from burning up. How many attempts is unknown to me. Also unknown if some of the other random responses of the system will be solved with good pump or is the ECU FUBAR??

Old 11-12-2019, 03:15 PM
Thank you for the response. We actually looked at that and they look fine. Also, our Snap On Modis actually shows the level of each corner and it appears correct. For example shows the left rear 1MM below normal for normal height and the front left 90MM low. Actual measurements to the center of the respective wheels is pretty much right on. Front right is standing but at about 65MM from normal. My guess is the computer is trying to level the front right with the front left that is down over the tire. By the way the Modis has a menu to set the car to level but it won't move. Digging deeper Modis says pressure "too low". So perhaps the compressor not able to pressure the accumulator enough hence replacement. Am guessing that it would take multiple attempts to fill the accumulator to keep the compressor from burning up. How many attempts is unknown to me. Also unknown if some of the other random responses of the system will be solved with good pump or is the ECU FUBAR??
There is a PASM update available at dealers, doesn't really sound like that will help your issue based on what your describing, maybe a leaking line at block or strut.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:27 PM
In reading Kumar Patel issues with 2010 Panamera in "Air Suspension Diagnostic" thread, I have almost exact same issues except that I still have three struts standing. I suppose that since Porsche dealer rebuilt the front two struts (rather than replaced) a month ago they could have assembled incorrectly however we see no signs of leakage on our strut. Where would one squirt soapy water to check for leak on poorly assembled strut? Also, Porsche won't even look at it for warranty purposes until compressor replaced. So new game plan is to install new pump and see if we can get pressure (though Kumar had same Pressure Too Low diagnostic and was leaky strut, not compressor) If still no joy then either take out strut ourselves or tow vehicle back to Porsche Delaer and attempt to get warranty work. Have to say though starting to believe bad rebuild after reading Kumar post. BTW, we put a vacuum on the air line to the bad strut and it held fine. Appears line and valve block are good.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:34 PM
In reading Kumar Patel issues with 2010 Panamera in "Air Suspension Diagnostic" thread, I have almost exact same issues except that I still have three struts standing. I suppose that since Porsche dealer rebuilt the front two struts (rather than replaced) a month ago they could have assembled incorrectly however we see no signs of leakage on our strut. Where would one squirt soapy water to check for leak on poorly assembled strut? Also, Porsche won't even look at it for warranty purposes until compressor replaced. So new game plan is to install new pump and see if we can get pressure (though Kumar had same Pressure Too Low diagnostic and was leaky strut, not compressor) If still no joy then either take out strut ourselves or tow vehicle back to Porsche Delaer and attempt to get warranty work. Have to say though starting to believe bad rebuild after reading Kumar post. BTW, we put a vacuum on the air line to the bad strut and it held fine. Appears line and valve block are good.
shoot compressed air into top of strut for about 2 seconds and once raised, if bad rebuild (issue I had) all the air will leak out instantly from bottom of strut from inside clips not being properly secured. Otherwise spray soapy water on top of strut mount and look for bubbles. Sounds like you have some issue I did

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Panamera Air Suspension System Info