Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermal / Noise Insulating Glass?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 07:59 PM
SlowButSteady is infamous around these parts
Thermal / Noise Insulating Glass?

I wonder if there's a way to tell by reading the inscription on the window, if the glass is thermal / noise insulating (aka dual-pane) or just regular. I know you can open the side windows and see if there's a film sandwiched between two layers of glass, but I'm not sure how to check the windshield.

I looked for Porsche OEM glasses and it doesn't seem to be a clear distinction between dual and single pane, it's just one part number.

Thoughts?

Old 07-26-2019, 07:45 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
My friend had a 2010 PTT with insulated glass. I could see his windows were thicker than mine. (2011 PTT) That car is SO quiet inside.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:53 AM
skiracer13 is infamous around these parts
My 2010 PTT has this option and it's very easy to tell if your windshield is so equipped; you will see very distinct 'clear' cutouts adjacent to the rear-view mirror. They are just large enough for a transponder to be affixed.

When I had my windshield replaced last year they mistakenly put in a regular windshield w/o the thermal layer and these cutouts were not present. I had it replaced again this Spring (yeah, I drive a lot in the snowy and Rocky Mountains) and I made sure they ordered and installed the correct glass per my VIN. Of course it now has the obvious cutouts! You'll know immediately if you have this or not.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
My friend had a 2010 PTT with insulated glass. I could see his windows were thicker than mine. (2011 PTT) That car is SO quiet inside.
Indeed is quieter, at least when cars are passing by. I'm looking to retrofit my car, should be under $1k all included.

Originally Posted by skiracer13
My 2010 PTT has this option and it's very easy to tell if your windshield is so equipped; you will see very distinct 'clear' cutouts adjacent to the rear-view mirror. They are just large enough for a transponder to be affixed.

When I had my windshield replaced last year they mistakenly put in a regular windshield w/o the thermal layer and these cutouts were not present. I had it replaced again this Spring (yeah, I drive a lot in the snowy and Rocky Mountains) and I made sure they ordered and installed the correct glass per my VIN. Of course it now has the obvious cutouts! You'll know immediately if you have this or not.
Thanks, this is great insight! Did you hear/feel a significant difference when you had the single-pane windshield on?
Also that means your side windows should be double-pane as well. Could you tell me if the inscription/text on the glass says anything about it? That would be the easiest way for me to see on Ebay if a certain glass is double-pane or not.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:37 AM
dudecs is a jewel in the roughdudecs is a jewel in the roughdudecs is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by skiracer13
Funny thing is that the opposite happened to me. That is, I had the regular glass from the factory. After windshield replacement, the thermal glass was installed. The thermal glass is the only OEM replacement part and supercedes the other OEM windshields? The positive is that the interior is cooler, but I had to figure out how to mount my radar detector in the limited space of the cutouts.

I have full glass coverage on my insurance, so the cost was fully covered for replacement at the dealership (sub-contracted to Safelite for labor/installation).

Old 07-26-2019, 12:40 PM
StrassenKurven is infamous around these parts
Here are photos from my 2014.. the windshield says it's 70%, but the side windows don't list a percentage, and the rear doesn't have a marking. The side and rear windows have the obvious factory tinting look around the edges.

note that my side and rear windows have tint film installed as well.

front windshield

side windows

factory tint lines

Old 07-26-2019, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by StrassenKurven
Here are photos from my 2014.. the windshield says it's 70%, but the side windows don't list a percentage, and the rear doesn't have a marking. The side and rear windows have the obvious factory tinting look around the edges.

note that my side and rear windows have tint film installed as well.
Are the front side windows dual-pane? Can you see the film sandwiched between 2 sheets of glass? Something like this

Old 07-26-2019, 06:24 PM
Yes, all of my side windows are two pieces of glass with the film in between. You can see it easily at the top of each window.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:10 PM
Yes, all of my side windows are two pieces of glass with the film in between. You can see it easily at the top of each window.
Thank you Strassen, this is very helpful. If you could find out what the front side window part is as well, you really made my week It should be something like 970-542-511-??

970 = Panamera code
542 = Left side
511 = Front

I'm missing the last two digits, that designates if the glass has acoustic and IR properties.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:15 AM
I don't think that part numbers like that are on the car.

What do you mean by "front side window"? Technically there are two window areas for each door. The markings on all of the side windows look similar to the second photo I posted.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:39 PM
I don't think that part numbers like that are on the car.

What do you mean by "front side window"? Technically there are two window areas for each door. The markings on all of the side windows look similar to the second photo I posted.
I meant the one in the pic. I just needed to map the part number to the manufacturer stamp that shows in the pic. No worries, I figured it out in the meantime.

I have a very hard time finding double-pane used window glass for 970. Apparently is something very few people ordered.