Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Strut Rebuild Nightmare...In progress

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 07:02 AM
Mazurda is infamous around these parts
Air Strut Rebuild Nightmare...In progress

RMT (rebuild master tech) air strut nightmare. This company has caused my car to be off the road for almost 1 month at this point. My original rebuild order came back with top mount incorrected positioned for passenger side, sent back, requested overnight return shipping for inconvenience, they sent back ground. Part was rebuilt incorrectly, my mechanic was able to correct. Installed, both struts would not inflate. Had to fully disassemble 1 strut to find out bag inside was not sitting on clips and RMT claimed it came apart from shipping. Again, my Porsche master tech was able to fix without sending back. Drove car for 2 days, passenger strut failed and internal bag would not hold air. RMT is now sending another strut out to replace (had to split overnight shipping cost and leave a $250 core deposit). Part SHOULD arrive Tuesday, I have little confidence it will be correct but let's see...Wanted to share this with anyone dealing with suspension issues and wouldn't wish this ordeal on anyone. Pics describe most of what I have been dealing with..

Old 09-16-2019, 07:31 AM
jzchen is infamous around these parts
I wish I could tell what year that is based on looks, but I can't. I can only hope it's 2010-2013.

Arnott?

https://www.arnottindustries.com/amf...is-2013-234564

Old 09-16-2019, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by jzchen
I wish I could tell what year that is based on looks, but I can't. I can only hope it's 2010-2013.

Arnott?

https://www.arnottindustries.com/amf...is-2013-234564
2011 PTT, not Arnott but in hindsight, I shoudl have went with them. These are OEM rebuilds by Rebuild Master Tech (RMT)

Old 09-16-2019, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the warning!!! I'm sorry to read of this experience.

I went to RMT's website to see that their warranty is also lifetime, as Arnott's is. I was thinking maybe you could just buy Arnott struts, but RMT also has a lifetime warranty....

Old 09-16-2019, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the warning!!! I'm sorry to read of this experience.

I went to RMT's website to see that their warranty is also lifetime, as Arnott's is. I was thinking maybe you could just buy Arnott struts, but RMT also has a lifetime warranty....
Alot of stipulations behind the warranty with RMT, and who wants to constantly be using the warranty with a terrible product (based on my experience) thus far

Old 09-17-2019, 07:57 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Sorry about all you pain with this - sucks! This is good information for anyone needing replacement struts - they should go with Arnott it seems.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:30 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
holy crap. Never imagined they would be ruining their name like this. I did not have bad experience but this should not be happening to anyone.
Next time I have a need I will be sure to bring this up, maybe you can speak to someone in management there, to let them know this word is getting around and folks will stop buying them.

I will no longer recommend them until they make things right. Thanks for letting us know.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by ciaka
holy crap. Never imagined they would be ruining their name like this. I did not have bad experience but this should not be happening to anyone.
Next time I have a need I will be sure to bring this up, maybe you can speak to someone in management there, to let them know this word is getting around and folks will stop buying them.

I will no longer recommend them until they make things right. Thanks for letting us know.

Complete insanity, had to pay another $280 to cover core and shipping for replacement strut. Called yesterday to request overnight tracking information and was told it takes 2 or 3 days to build and I will automatically be email tracking when order ships. My mechanic texted me a photo of new strut at 11am today arriving at his shop and installed it. Lack of communication somewhere?

Nevertheless, so far so good ( last strut failed after a day and a half) lets see what happens......

Old 09-17-2019, 11:18 PM
turbo_mikePTT is infamous around these parts
Wow man good for you for sticking with it I would of put her into a tree and bought a new car after all that.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:46 AM
Originally Posted by turbo_mikePTT
Wow man good for you for sticking with it I would of put her into a tree and bought a new car after all that.

Hahaha..I knew it wasn't the car and it was the terrible product/service I got from RMT

Old 10-26-2019, 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by Mazurda
Hahaha..I knew it wasn't the car and it was the terrible product/service I got from RMT
Everything okay now, I assume?

My wife's always looking at price, and I didn't realize the Arnott units are 2 - 3 times the cost, until I looked into purchasing one myself. (I do see that AutoZone has the Arnott's for sale, and they always seem to have a 20% off code on their website). What ended up turning me away was one BBB complaint where RMT said the failure was due to normal wear and tear.

I haven't been driving the car since the initial failure light. I'm going to try to drive it less than half mile or so to the nearest repair shop this Monday morning. The strut I bought has a single 1 star review on Amazon, but at least it's new/used-like new. I do not have to worry about sending back the core within a specific amount of time, another concern I saw somewhere. (The person did not get his/her deposit in payment form/only store credit, because he/she passed the 30 day policy, or something like that).

Old 10-26-2019, 05:53 AM
Everything okay now, I assume?

My wife's always looking at price, and I didn't realize the Arnott units are 2 - 3 times the cost, until I looked into purchasing one myself. (I do see that AutoZone has the Arnott's for sale, and they always seem to have a 20% off code on their website). What ended up turning me away was one BBB complaint where RMT said the failure was due to normal wear and tear.

I haven't been driving the car since the initial failure light. I'm going to try to drive it less than half mile or so to the nearest repair shop this Monday morning. The strut I bought has a single 1 star review on Amazon, but at least it's new/used-like new. I do not have to worry about sending back the core within a specific amount of time, another concern I saw somewhere. (The person did not get his/her deposit in payment form/only store credit, because he/she passed the 30 day policy, or something like that).
It's finally good and holding up, car was off the road for about 1 month due to improperly rebuilt struts twice from RMT and everything with them is a lengthy process and poor communication. I'd recommend fvd.net they carry new German aftermarket air struts for about $500 each, can't beat that. Good luck

Old 10-26-2019, 07:19 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Rhonda at FVD - win every time.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Rhonda at FVD - win every time.

O yea for sure, awesome service and quality products

Old 10-26-2019, 07:21 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Good to know.
I'll keep that url for next time.
Www.fvd.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Air Strut Rebuild Nightmare...In progress