Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chassis System Fault vs. Chassis System Failure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 06:15 PM
stealthn is infamous around these parts
I get it every time temp goes below -30. My car is currently slammed on the front end, been cold all week but supposed to be only -4 tomorrow so I’ll troubleshoot. I’m sure it’s just moisture, ice in the lines. It always fixes itself when it’s warmer.

fault is usually just the height sensors.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:30 PM
vkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks stealthn! Hate seen a fault in the instrument cluster. Love the car but always wondering what fault will pop up next on the cluster! I have an extended warranty but still hate worrying...

Old 01-18-2020, 10:55 PM
jzchen is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stealthn
I get it every time temp goes below -30. My car is currently slammed on the front end, been cold all week but supposed to be only -4 tomorrow so I’ll troubleshoot. I’m sure it’s just moisture, ice in the lines. It always fixes itself when it’s warmer.

fault is usually just the height sensors.
This cold weather symptom may be why Porsche specs Nitrogen 5.0 to fill the system.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:50 PM
vkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond repute
So...reached out to my friend’s cousin. He used to work as a tech for one of the local Porsche dealerships. He still had some service info on hand. He sent me the info on my fault! Looks electrical as suspected...I can’t wait for Indy shop to open tomorrow
so that I can update them!

Based on fault 000320 probably will be the compressor relay - either the relay itself or the relay fuse. Here’s hoping!

I also got some info on other PASM fault codes for MY2014. Might still apply to other years so reach out and I’ll help decode if I can.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:54 PM
jzchen...I think you’re right...Chassis System Fault and Failure are different. My cluster has yellow icon (fault) not red (failure).

FYI for those getting a Chassis System FAULT...look electrical.

Of course, I’ll update when issue properly identified and resolved.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:32 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
One suggestion - have you tried to turn the car on, and make sure suspension is enabled, and just leave it idling with all doors closed and trunk/hood too? It takes up to 15 or 20 minutes for ECU to be aware of all sensor and make appropriate decisions. Start the car and back away on your driveway, as moving the car automatically enables the suspension (in case you have hard time with re enabling it).
Then park the car on flat part of your driveway and leave idling. See if that helps. Also, important to make sure your battery is charged. These cars have so much electronics, that low charge battery orten causes errors that would not appear otherwise. Update us on this too.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:39 PM
My issue is confirmed to be failed air suspension compressor. Compressor fails to run despite direct power applied to it. New compressor, relay, and fuse going in tomorrow. Thank goodness for after market extended warranty as parts alone from Porsche are $1800 (CAD)!

Apparently common for relay to get stuck open causing motor to run continuously thus burning it out. As ciaka has previously posted replace relay whenever new compressor is being installed. Will also check for air leak in system to ensure this isn’t a contributing factor to motor burn out (although I never got a Chassis System Failure error in cluster as typically happens with leak in system).

I’ll post again once car is back on the road...

Old 01-22-2020, 07:05 AM
stealthn is infamous around these parts
Mine pumped up to a sport plus height once temps came up a bit, after a drive and two restarts the buttons started working, no errors and it goes up and down. No parts, just hates the cold.

second year in a row for this issue, finicky....

Old 01-24-2020, 08:16 AM
Car fixed and back on the road! Drove it up the Sea-to-Sky highway and currently cutting tracks at Whistler! Was amazing through the winding mountain roads!

My issue was a failed air suspension compressor. To confirm, tech applied power directly to compressor - it ran but sounded very sick. I’ve been told that this is a common issue. Relay gets stuck open causing the compressor to run continuously and burns out over time. I wonder if the cold weather contributes to the relay sticking? Needed new compressor ($$$), relay (cheap), and fuse (cheap). Struts and lines checked for leaks and all good there. Bulk of cost covered by extended warranty.

Thanks for everybody’s help and advice! If you are seeing an intermittent “Chassis System Fault” (not Failure) probably should scan the code and consider and electrical issue.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:46 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I was told by Porsche tech that the updated compressor relay is to improve cold weather operation, so looks like they saw failures and made changes to hardware to compensate.

Originally Posted by vkb123
Car fixed and back on the road! Drove it up the Sea-to-Sky highway and currently cutting tracks at Whistler! Was amazing through the winding mountain roads!

My issue was a failed air suspension compressor. To confirm, tech applied power directly to compressor - it ran but sounded very sick. I’ve been told that this is a common issue. Relay gets stuck open causing the compressor to run continuously and burns out over time. I wonder if the cold weather contributes to the relay sticking? Needed new compressor ($$$), relay (cheap), and fuse (cheap). Struts and lines checked for leaks and all good there. Bulk of cost covered by extended warranty.

Thanks for everybody’s help and advice! If you are seeing an intermittent “Chassis System Fault” (not Failure) probably should scan the code and consider and electrical issue.