Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chassis System Fault vs. Chassis System Failure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 11:25 PM
vkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond repute
Chassis System Fault vs. Chassis System Failure?

Anyone have any experience with a “Chassis System Fault”? Recently popped up on my instrument cluster after a cold spell here in the Pacific Northwest. I’ve read a lot of posts on chassis system failure (red symbol). I’m getting a fault (yellow symbol). I’ve read through Ciaka’s detailed post on the air suspension and I’m going to start troubleshooting. I’ve connected my Durametric and pulled the fault codes but they don’t make much sense to me. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:21 AM
rsbIII is infamous around these parts
Had same issue during cold spell last year. Ciaka’s posts on troubleshooting and corresponding repairs helped me sort it out. While there seems to be a number of things (single or multiple) that could be causing this in my case I was having issues with ride height + failure message similar to yours - this was brought on by old air struts that were leaking, probably for some time. It was not noticeable until a few early winter cold snaps but problem worsened - temp and humidity fluctuation, especially when the bottom end of that fluctuation is very low, undoubtedly affects worn/aged rubber and plastic components - especially when, like in my case, there was already a small leak. I replaced my air struts with RMT rebuilt ones (mixed reviews from others on this vendor but my experience was excellent - quick delivery + response time, perfect fit and have worked just fine with no issues for 1+ year now) and problem was solved.

Follow Ciaka’s tutorial - you will be able to sort it out. That said, while I am not 100% sure about this, a contributing factor could also be an old battery loosing charge - this apparently causes a number of weird things to pop up with the Panamera so may not be the case with you if this is the only symptom you are experiencing. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2020, 11:10 PM
vkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond repute
Took my car to a reputable Porsche Indy shop today. Spent a number of hours with the tech trying to troubleshoot. Car hooked up to 2 different computers (PIWIS and something else). Codes cleared and then rescanned. Chassis system FAULT kept resurfacing. Main error code is 000320. No info on code so he send off to his “source” to decode but no reply yet as end of day on a Friday.

Looking at the car, the rear is very high and the front is low (looks like the car’s *** is up!). Values on the computer show 15mm low on the front and 25mm high at the rear. Tried to reset and recalibrate but no success.

Tech says it reminds him of time he saw a Cayenne that was jacked up for service with the air suspension still active (i.e. forgot to deactivate prior to raising car). Ended up messing up the level. In the end he had to bleed the air manually through the valve block and then recalibrate as if he was installing a new air strut.

Turns out I changed my oil using ramps the day before this problem started. I assumed my problem was due to the recent cold weather here in the Pacific NW (many others have posted problems with cold weather). Tech thinks the problem may be due to the oil change on ramps.

When I did the oil change I raised the car to high mode to increase ground clearance. I then drove up the ramps. The car was on ramps for a few hours. He thinks the car somehow tried to level itself in this position hence back up and front down. It’s now locked out and can’t reestablish a level. The compressor hasn’t come on at all since I did the oil change. Everything was working fine before I changed the oil with ramps. He doesn’t think I have a leak in the system but he needs more time with the car. It’s my daily (and only car) so I need it operational quickly. I left it at the shop and he will put more time into early next week.

Does any of this make sense? Anybody heard of a chassis system fault after driving up ramps without deactivating the air suspension? Thank you in advance.

Old 01-18-2020, 09:25 AM
DogWood is infamous around these partsDogWood is infamous around these parts
I did my oil last year on ramp, did just as you did, raised to high and drove onto the ramps. Now it wasn't on the ramps for a couple hours, 1 hour at most.
But no issues from doing that.it's an interesting theory, but I doubt it - correlation isn't causation

Old 01-18-2020, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by DogWood
Now it wasn't on the ramps for a couple hours, 1 hour at most.
Yeah...I had to do bedtime with the kids in between the oil change! Hence on ramps for a few hours. Thanks for your input! Hoping others will chime in as well.

Last edited by vkb123; 01-18-2020 at 09:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-18-2020, 09:39 AM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
I had a "Chassis Failure" after doing maintenance on my front suspension. Do mind, I had switched off my level control, but the fact that the compressor had to re-inflate the front airstruts resulted in this error. I ended up hanging the car in my 2 post lift with the tires slightly touching the ground, so the compressor could re-inflate the front. It was only after switching on and off the car several times that everything started leveling out and the error went away.
As it pertains to your question :
  • Have you tried disconnecting your battery and giving the system a fresh boot ?
  • Are you sure nobody fiddled with the front wheel level sensors during maintenance ? (they are up in your wheel well)
  • Your compressor is in the back of the car. You sure it wasn't 'dragging' and got damaged as you raised the front during maintenance ?
  • Is the fuse for the compressor OK ?
As long as your wheels were not 'unsuspended' during maintenance I do not think anything severe could have happened. Good luck, let us know what happened.
By the way, Dougwood and I are Bend, where are you in the PNW ?

Old 01-18-2020, 09:46 AM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !

Here my lift supports the car in a level position as the compressor was re-inflating the front struts

My heart skipped a beat when I saw this

Old 01-18-2020, 10:01 AM
jzchen is infamous around these parts
We got this car early July. A couple of months later, even though the salesperson said they had the oil changed and I could smell oil like they changed it, the computer asked for one. I obliged. Same thing, I raised the front, drove the front up my ramps, then lowered the front, while on the ramps, as the salesman who taught me about the feature said don't leave it raised for too long, it can cause early wear and tear. I left the car up there for many hours, but as noted I had lowered the front back down. I had to get the under panel off, and had some difficulty getting the oil filter unscrewed. The oil drain plug was damaged by using an incorrect tool, and I did not have the correct gasket. I hence went to the local Porsche dealer for the gasket and drain bolt.

Sounds like a computer glitch. What do I do when my computer stops responding to anything, I press the power button until the computer shuts off. In this case, try pulling the negative battery cable, letting it sit for a while, then reconnecting.

Regarding Chassis System Failure vs Chassis System Fault, I noticed:

Chassis System Failure showed when there was an air leak in a strut (and the system noticed)
Chassis System Fault showed when there was no leak but an electrical issue (there was an internal short in my cheap SCITOO replacement strut).

Last edited by jzchen; 01-18-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:04 AM
I mean, imagine if you parked your Panamera on one of those extremely hilly San Francisco streets. Shouldn't fault when you come back!

Old 01-18-2020, 10:08 AM
Thanks Yves and DogWood for your thoughtful replies! I'm positive the wheel sensors were not disturbed and the compressor wasn't dragged (I did the work myself and I'm very methodical). Have not tried disconnecting the battery so will pass along to the tech (I'm hopeful he would try this on his own but I'll check).

Just doesn't make sense to me...absolutely no issues with the car before the oil change and chassis system fault day after I do the work? To confound the issues, it's been atypically cold and snowing here in Vancouver, BC and lots of others have posted on getting this error with cold weather.

I worked with the tech for a few hours yesterday. Knowledgeable Porsche indy shop (I'd say more knowledgeable than the local Porsche dealership). We started on a 4-post lift. Inspected each corner and checked the valve block and compressor (visual). Car connected to his computer (don't remember the computer name) and pulled the codes, cleared them, tried to reset PASM with no luck. He then got out he PIWIS computer to go deeper and still no luck. Eventually moved to a 2-post lift and suspended the car in the air then recalibrated the system (as if he had just replaced an air strut). This time could hear air being discharged from the rear. Carefully put the car down and now the rear end is low (very low). He thinks it's computer related and not mechanical like a leak in the system. In the end ran out of time (Friday evening) so car at the shop and will start again on Monday.

I have NOT heard the compressor at all since my oil change. Maybe the compressor has failed? Maybe the fuse (great thought so thank you!)?

Lastly, my error is "CHASSIS SYSTEM FAULT" not "Chassis System Failure". Wondering about the significance of this? Error code is 000320. Tech is getting this decoded and should know on Monday. Just want the car back.....

Thanks again!

Old 01-18-2020, 10:15 AM
The 000320 doesn't sound like a valid error code. I wish I remember what code I got from my Foxwell unit when there was an internal short, but I think it started with a letter P. (It also noted the air strut internal short in the description)...

Old 01-18-2020, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by jzchen
Regarding Chassis System Failure vs Chassis System Fault, I noticed:

Chassis System Failure showed when there was an air leak in a strut (and the system noticed)
Chassis System Fault showed when there was no leak but an electrical issue (there was an internal short in my cheap SCITOO replacement strut).

Thank you JZCHEN! I think there is a difference in the problem with Chassis System Fault vs. Failure.

I have also asked myself, why is driving up a ramp (for an oil change) any different than parking on a really steep driveway or street? With this logic, wouldn't the car try to "level itself" on really steep incline?

Old 01-18-2020, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by vkb123
Thank you JZCHEN! I think there is a difference in the problem with Chassis System Fault vs. Failure.

I have also asked myself, why is driving up a ramp (for an oil change) any different than parking on a really steep driveway or street? With this logic, wouldn't the car try to "level itself" on really steep incline?
I lowered the front as soon as I got it up the ramps, and I can confirm, it knows it is on an incline, and does not raise it's behind up!

Having breakdowns one after another on this car, I'm guessing it's just happening to you too. Sigh. (I hate these love hate car relationships)...

Old 01-18-2020, 04:06 PM
QUOTE=NormalFellow;4820138]VKB 123, I can absolutely help you get this figured out. 1) Please check each level sensor on each corner... make sure that the linkage is not broken or twisted to the side.... 2) Please check on your front strut top mounts where the wire connector(two pin) that adjusts the dampening and make sure that the plug is not broken or that the wire is not shorting out. 3) Check fuses and Relay for the air compressor and PASM system... This is a very small problem with not much to worry about... Keep us posted here and we can work through it with you as this is an easy problem to fix but not fun to diagnose....[/QUOTE]

Thank you NormalFellow! I’ve moved your reply over to my thread...I stumbled across it while reading gvenz33’s problem.

It seems like my problem is electrical/computer not mechanical like a leak. Wondering about fuse, relay, battery. I wish I had my car at home so that I could check each of these. It’s locked up at the Indy shop and nobody will be looking at it until Monday.

I will definitely post when the problem is identified and fixed.

Old 01-18-2020, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by rsbIII
Had same issue during cold spell last year. Ciaka’s posts on troubleshooting and corresponding repairs helped me sort it out. While there seems to be a number of things (single or multiple) that could be causing this in my case I was having issues with ride height + failure message similar to yours - this was brought on by old air struts that were leaking, probably for some time. It was not noticeable until a few early winter cold snaps but problem worsened - temp and humidity fluctuation, especially when the bottom end of that fluctuation is very low, undoubtedly affects worn/aged rubber and plastic components - especially when, like in my case, there was already a small leak. I replaced my air struts with RMT rebuilt ones (mixed reviews from others on this vendor but my experience was excellent - quick delivery + response time, perfect fit and have worked just fine with no issues for 1+ year now) and problem was solved.

Follow Ciaka’s tutorial - you will be able to sort it out. That said, while I am not 100% sure about this, a contributing factor could also be an old battery loosing charge - this apparently causes a number of weird things to pop up with the Panamera so may not be the case with you if this is the only symptom you are experiencing. Good luck!
Thank you rsbll! I appreciate your detailed thoughts! Still a work in progress...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chassis System Fault vs. Chassis System Failure?