Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK transmission error codes and wont go into gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 02:49 PM
Rat3d M is infamous around these parts
PDK transmission error codes and wont go into gear

Yesterday I got into my 2011 Panamera 4 and when I tried to reverse, the car wouldn't move. Suddenly I got the PDK Malfunction dash warning and CEL. I scanned the car with Durametric and got the following:
P1583
P0700
P1731
P1732

When I put the car in reverse and give it gas, the car inches forward. In drive the RPMs wont go up, regardless of how much gas you give it.

After a little research I suspect a faulty gear selector and temperature sensor to the tune of about $1300, part number 970 317 085 00.

I've read replacement requires dropping the oil pan and removing the hydraulic unit, and reinstalling everything requires new fluid of course and a new pan since it's one time use. Also requires calibration with PIWIS (not sure if Durametric can do it).

So before I went and dropped several thousand dollars on a whim, I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this issue or advice on if I'm on the right track?

Old 11-14-2020, 08:13 PM
gordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the rough
There is a tremendous amount of information on this topic on Rennlist

This is the best thread of them all..

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...nsmission.html

Old 11-16-2020, 01:25 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Did you get the Transmission fault error?
Let me guess, you get the error when driving, still able to drive until you come to a stop. Then, car wont go into drive, acts as if it is in neutra. Sometime turn car off/on fixes it, sometimes not.
Or, if you get the error while stopped, the car wont drive even if you put it into drive, again acts as if it is in neutral.

If that is your symptom, most likely your problem is shift rod position sensor. I just replaced mine, long, not too hard, and requires pdk recalibration with piwis2. I have pics and thinking DIY for it some time.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:07 PM
guvendi is infamous around these parts
Porsche Panamera 3.6 2012 p1731 p1732

Hello i have a Porsche Panamera 3.6 2012 with the same error codes the p1731 p1732. The car is not moving forward and back. It is in limp mode. Can u help me please? I used the Hella Guthmann scantool and i cant erase the fault codes.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:17 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
You likely need porsche specific tools to erase.
I had durametruc before, now have piwis2.
I have a DIY on this problem. Search for threads by my name u will find.
To replace you will need to recalibrate pdk after replacement. Only piwis will do here. Without cal, you will keep getting transmission errors .
It is likely the gear shift sensor. Hope this helps.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:23 AM
You're on the right track. Be careful to verify exactly which part number you need. Vin check is o ly way to guarantee. I bought my sensor from Delaware porsche parts. Dealer. Sensor was near 1k, harness for the sensor was about 222. Order both since no way to tell if sensor or harness. You may be doing this twice, and with pdk pan and fluid cost, it will be more expensive doing twice.
read my diy on replacement.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:02 PM
Thank you for your answere but how can i know sure That the Sensor is the Problem? Can i measeure that? And what is the Part Nummer of the cable harnass?

Old 09-22-2021, 01:04 PM
The errors are what tells you this is the problem. In reality there are 2 parts for this issue. The sensor pack, and the wire harness. Dealers replace both as SOP. If you do not replace harness and it has issue too, you will be disassembling everything again.
My diy talks about the issue. At the end of the day, you have to decide. Yes, it is a big decision. However you gotta make it.
As I see, you have to choose between:
1. Choose to replace yourself - cost about 1300 + about 300 for pdk fluid/pan, etc + few hours work
2. Choose to take to dealer (cost ~6000), or indy shop (cost ~4000)
3. Choose to do nothing (if you like just looking at the awesome panamera
4. Sell car as is (will be losing few thousand doing this for sure as well).

I dont want to tell you what to do. This decision will have to be yours to take. Yeah, we know. Feels tough to make important call on this but also yeah, you just gotta make the call.
Good luck and let us know which way you went for history. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2021, 05:31 PM
Today my friend have with is own snap on diagnostic tool read the fault again this is what je found. Before i order the Sensor and the harnass Can you please Check the codes maybe is it the pdk control module.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:02 PM
P1732 - Displacement sensors shiftrod gears 5/7 implausible signal.

Code states that there is a displacement sensor for gears 5/7 (do a reading on my pdk info and you'll find out why they're paired like this), and the sensor is not giving any /or coherent signal (signal that the ECU can interpret properly, as a gear shift sensor signal).

When gears are changed, there are gear shift sensors that detect the gear change, and through the wiring. Those sensors send a specific signal to the ecu. When the gear shift takes place, so the pdk knows that a gear changed, and so that other parts of car know it too.

If the evu was bad, what do you think the diagnostic program would read? Would it read error messages from ecu, or would it fail to read errors period?
you got it. Figured it out by yourself. Bad ecu would most likely not even talk to the diags hardware.

Error is P1732 because of gears 5 and 7.
There are other sensors for gears 1 and 3, 5 and 7, 2 and 4, and I believe 6 and R.
Those sensors are placed very vlose to the gears (magnetic), and feed signal to ecu via wires out of sensors, through wiring harness. To ecu.
the ecu is telling you, hey I know that the sensor for gears 5 and 7 is not giving me a signal that makes sense.
The likeliest scenario is, sensor failing or failed.

This is exactly what mechanics do. Interpret diagnostic info, cross reference with their knowledge of car. Cross reference with their past historical experience on similar issues. And make a call.

Now (wagging finger), I know what you are doing, you're trying to take the pressure if making this call, from yourself to someone else.
Trust me. You will be just as pissed if you make call vs us doing it, if this solution does not work..
I believe my errors were P1734 or 33. I made the call. Bought parts, replaced, never seen error again.
Dealer and indy shops do identical process. They make the call, replace parts, hope it worked. They have bigger pool of experience and tools. But if it does not work. They'll just tell you there is something else wrong, in addition to sensors.

So in the end, you gotta own the decision.
Yes. This error indicates sensor not working right. Will sensor fix it? I hope so. Could be sensor. Could be the harness. Could be the sensor and the garness. Only way to find out is make the call.

I'm just having fun here. But I hope you get my message, nothing is a 100.00% guarantee.
If you're not comfortable. I would suggest getting a mechanic to do this.

If you fo it. Read my DIY BEFORE you start. End to end. Then decide of you can do it.
REMEMBER: These gear shift sensors replacement requires you recalibrate the PDK afterwards. So it knows gears positions and adjusts to new settings with replaced sensors. If you don't have that capability, imo you should have a mechanic do it. Or get piwis2.

Hope I helped a little. Good luck, and remember - fortune and luck favors rhe bold.
The meek get eaten. Lol

Hope you have a good weekend.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:15 PM
Hello ciaka, today i change the Sensor and de fault Codes i Can delete. The car driving good 😃. But i have 1 quastion about the filling of the new oil. Filling with Running the engine or without running unteal leak?

Old 09-29-2021, 05:14 PM
Regarding pdk fluid fill, FSM states to fill while engine with piwis2 connected, and pdk temp of 40°C.
realistically, I believe the info in FSM is copied from 911 FSM, where it would matter more.
8 have detailed my info in threads about pdk transmission from ZF. Search pls.
So in reality if you don't have piwis to measure pdk temp, should still be fine with pdk slightly hot to touch, estimate 40C.
Fill few quarts, start engine and wait for temp to go up, then keep adding until it starts leaking out. Then close the plug.
Make sure car is really level, as inclining front will cause liquid to drip out before its adequate level is reached.

About your sensors change, great. You replaced sensors, put in new fluid and reset the codes.
One thing to keep in mind is that you may need to recalibrate the PDK. You will definitely need access to piwis to do this. Maybe know some forum member with one. Or can get one.
If your error returns, it's because pdk has not been calibrated after sensors replacerecent. Just some FYI here.
thanks. Keep us updated how it all went.

Last edited by ciaka; 09-29-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2023, 05:26 AM
byroncheung is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Rat3d M
Yesterday I got into my 2011 Panamera 4 and when I tried to reverse, the car wouldn't move. Suddenly I got the PDK Malfunction dash warning and CEL. I scanned the car with Durametric and got the following:
P1583
P0700
P1731
P1732

When I put the car in reverse and give it gas, the car inches forward. In drive the RPMs wont go up, regardless of how much gas you give it.

After a little research I suspect a faulty gear selector and temperature sensor to the tune of about $1300, part number 970 317 085 00.

I've read replacement requires dropping the oil pan and removing the hydraulic unit, and reinstalling everything requires new fluid of course and a new pan since it's one time use. Also requires calibration with PIWIS (not sure if Durametric can do it).

So before I went and dropped several thousand dollars on a whim, I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this issue or advice on if I'm on the right track?
@Rat3d M did you fix your car at the end? I had similar errors (p0700 & p1734) car won’t reverse, changed the distance sensor but still got error or p0700 & p1732 and car would stuck in a forward gear when the error pop…

Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
PanameraProb
2011 Panamera 4S Transmission HELP!

PLEASE HELP. I have a 2011 Panamera 4S. Only has 70k miles. Got the "Fault Transmission" error. Porsche says it must be replaced. Is it possible they're wrong?

Originally Posted by ciaka
Did you get the Transmission fault error?
Let me guess, you get the error when driving, still able to drive until you come to a stop. Then, car wont go into drive, acts as if it is in neutra. Sometime turn car off/on fixes it, sometimes not.
Or, if you get the error while stopped, the car wont drive even if you put it into drive, again acts as if it is in neutral.

If that is your symptom, most likely your problem is shift rod position sensor. I just replaced mine, long, not too hard, and requires pdk recalibration with piwis2. I have pics and thinking DIY for it some time.

Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
PanameraProb
Approximate cost?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK transmission error codes and wont go into gear