Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

updating your Battery with PIWIS III

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 03:03 PM
DogWood is infamous around these partsDogWood is infamous around these parts
updating your Battery with PIWIS III

the PIWIS software is a bit odd and not always straight forward, so I thought I'd share how to update the battery after changing it out

opening screen - select Diagnostics

you can manually select your car or wait for the auto-detect

once selected, the software will start communicating with the car.

you can just hit F12 at this point

after a couple minutes this screen will appear, you can just hit F11(no) as it is only necessary warranty repairs

once this screen comes up, select "Energy Management"

then select the Maintenance / repair Tab

things get more straight forward at this point, select Battery Change and hit F12

you can now select the battery typre, size and manufacture

as noted elsewhere you can simply enter Zero's for the serial number and part number, once you've entered both hit any of the write (pencil) buttons and you are done

Old 11-18-2020, 07:29 AM
jzchen is infamous around these parts
Sweet! Congratulations on your new "toy"! And thanks for sharing.

Mind sharing where you got from, or is that a friend's? I got one with a VXDIAG multi-manufacturer interface box and it was a real pain getting it to update after which it finally communicated with the car.

Still nervous about the battery dying, wish my wife would have let me get an eBay LiFePO4, maybe next time. Sadly she has me discontinued any work on ours as she noted soon she might trade it in. (Been told that before so)....

Old 11-18-2020, 08:27 AM
I got the software from a random Russian that had been posting on Renn it uses the VAS6154 as the interface. Picked up a used Lenovo thinkpad and installed the supplied disk image.
Had no problems, came right up and works beautifully

I'm going to have to get a bigger charger to hookup to the car when using the Tool, it really wants lots of juice!

Old 11-18-2020, 02:09 PM
vkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DogWood
I'm going to have to get a bigger charger to hookup to the car when using the Tool, it really wants lots of juice!
Originally Posted by jzchen
Still nervous about the battery dying, wish my wife would have let me get an eBay LiFePO4
Hey @Dogwood and @jzchen! I have a very affordable “clean power supply” DIY that you can use for coding and PIWIS work! Cost effective and super affordable! Works amazingly and supplies CONSTANT VOLTAGE to prevent power fluctuations (varies the amperage but keeps voltage constant). Uses an old computer server power supply unit.

I was initially thinking about buying a Schumacher INC100 for “clean power” but couldn’t justify the cost given my occasional PIWIS/coding work. Don’t buy a battery charger as it’s the wrong thing! You need “clean power” when coding/using a PIWIS. Read @rbrunelle’s posts on Rennlist. I just need time to do up the DIY. You won’t be disappointed!

Old 11-18-2020, 10:29 PM
vkb123 looking forward to your write up!

Old 12-09-2020, 09:25 PM
murci930 is infamous around these parts
So if my battery dies, I cant drive to autozone and swap out? This procedure needs to be done?

Old 12-09-2020, 09:27 PM
you can get away without it, however it will probably shorten the life of your new battery as the car will still think the old one is in there and charge it accordingly

Old 12-10-2020, 12:08 AM
murci930 is infamous around these parts
you can get away without it, however it will probably shorten the life of your new battery as the car will still think the old one is in there and charge it accordingly
very interesting, didn’t realize the charging system was that complex. Thanks for the info!

Old 12-28-2020, 12:03 PM
Wow, missed this thread because I was busy for about a month trying to fix my parents' Prius....

My $14xx PIWIS computer wasn't working well anymore after I got it to work (by updating the darn VX Diag) and then it would freeze after running for about 20 minutes. Finally when I was going to start using it again last week the computer bricked, more specifically the SSD hard drive....

@vkb123 Thank you for sharing! I saw that Schumacher unit as DME coding instructions say 90A I think? It's actually on the https://porsche.snapon.com/ website but is $$$ as you noted....

Old 01-05-2021, 05:01 PM
Replacement SSD arrived today. Now to find my computer toolset and try to install...

Old 01-09-2021, 06:16 AM
As noted SSD arrived. I answered a PM about the solution they offered me how much it cost. It was reasonable, and also came updated. There are two versions of PIWIS 3 just like their current offering vs only one before. I was asked if it's advisable to try to clone it, so I decided to try to clone the new one onto the old SSD as a backup. Sadly it did not work as the new SSD is larger than the old and the cloning tool, (Kingwin Power Dock Plus, took running to a far away Fry's to get this as the local one even though said in stock didn't actually have it,) requires the source to be smaller than the destination (wrong word but my mind is blank on it right now).

Anyways I install the new SSD and turn on the computer. There are updates:

VXDiag Manager: 1.8.1012

VXDiag Manager sends me to VXDiag.net for the update. It is a ZIP. When I opened with the included RAR tool and run it the included McAfee Virus Scanner immediately catches 2 trojan horses and asks me to quarantine them. Yikes...

2 Firmware updates to the Multi Diag. First one goes without a hitch
VoIP firmware fails many times I try different combinations of connections. What worked:

Laptop connected to WiFi

VXDiag connected to computer via USB and Ethernet (both cords included with unit)

VXDiag manger set to connect to VXDiag Multi Tool via LAN. (Took me many tries of the different connections to get the VoIP firmware to update. VoIP stands for Voice over IP so don't know what they are thinking naming it that?)...

Last edited by jzchen; 01-09-2021 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:26 PM
vkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond reputevkb123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vkb123
Hey @Dogwood and @jzchen! I have a very affordable “clean power supply” DIY that you can use for coding and PIWIS work! Cost effective and super affordable! Works amazingly and supplies CONSTANT VOLTAGE to prevent power fluctuations (varies the amperage but keeps voltage constant). Uses an old computer server power supply unit.

I was initially thinking about buying a Schumacher INC100 for “clean power” but couldn’t justify the cost given my occasional PIWIS/coding work. Don’t buy a battery charger as it’s the wrong thing! You need “clean power” when coding/using a PIWIS. Read @rbrunelle’s posts on Rennlist. I just need time to do up the DIY. You won’t be disappointed!
Gentlemen! I finally got around to doing this DIY for clean power for PIWIS coding...sorry it took so long! Hope you find it useful!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...is-coding.html

Old 01-26-2021, 05:55 PM
vbk123, thanks for the update, going to have to make one of those supplies, can't wait for your lowering thread!

Old 01-26-2021, 08:31 PM
Thank you for posting all the pictures with details. (I actually thought I already posted a thank you but seems like I only did the rep score)...

Old 01-27-2021, 01:34 PM
vbk123, thanks for the update, going to have to make one of those supplies, can't wait for your lowering thread!
Hey @DogWood! Still on my list of things to do! Sadly so little free time...too busy putting people together and COVID hasn’t helped!