Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yearly oil change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 07:03 PM
ScottDy is infamous around these parts
yearly oil change

Well, this year has been hard...and as a result I haven't driven much, in the past 12 months I've put on about 3000 miles since my last oil change and it's now time (according to my maintenance notification), for a oil change. I know it's endorsed by Porsche but really I doubt that 3000 miles requires an oil change. I can do it, it's kind of a PIA but I can do it for less than $100.00 in my garage but I really wonder whether it's necessary. Thoughts?

Old 01-08-2021, 09:52 PM
jzchen is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ScottDy
Well, this year has been hard...and as a result I haven't driven much, in the past 12 months I've put on about 3000 miles since my last oil change and it's now time (according to my maintenance notification), for a oil change. I know it's endorsed by Porsche but really I doubt that 3000 miles requires an oil change. I can do it, it's kind of a PIA but I can do it for less than $100.00 in my garage but I really wonder whether it's necessary. Thoughts?
The consensus I get on forums is you can get by with 2 years. I would do the oil change personally.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:37 AM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jzchen
The consensus I get on forums is you can get by with 2 years. I would do the oil change personally.
For what it's worth I would likely do it just to have some semblance of normality...but I definitely understand the line of questioning. It's highly unlikely that the oil has broken down and requires changing.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:28 AM
stealthn is infamous around these parts
Cheap insurance, why wouldn’t you?

Old 01-21-2021, 07:36 PM
Gambler is infamous around these parts
Same here in my 2018 pane, I just got the notification of oil change is due.in 2 weeks. If I check the maintenance for the oil, it says in 4500 miles wise. I tried to clear the oil notification using iCarsoft, however, I want able to clear it for some odd reason? It could be because, there are no service light as of yet, its only this annoying notification once I start the car. I just want to wait 3K miles to align it with the break fluid time.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:28 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
same here. 2020 is a slow year, I only have 4K miles on my 2016 Pan4. the message is on, I will probably change the oil next few weeks when the weather is nicer.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:33 PM
orangeokie is infamous around these parts
There are really only two concerns on low mileage driving. Synthetic oil is designed to go 10,000 miles. Even Porche's parent company, VW, recommends 10,000 miles between oil changes. Notwithstanding warranty requirements, expect to earn the highest price on your resale with a record of regular dealership oil changes and service. That service record gives future buyers of your Panny a warm and fuzzy feeling, so you can expect to harvest top dollar for your sale. With the science behind synthetic oils, total mileage between oil changes is not as important as regular driving intervals. Letting your car sit for months allows all the oil to drain to the sump, and the next start up is on minimally lubricated metal parts. Bottom line is drive your car regularly, even if for shorter distances, just to keep the parts well lubricated.

A bigger concern may be the factory recommendation to change you plugs every 30K miles. That is quite an expense, but the reason, to prevent plug thread seizure, seems to be an even greater risk. I still go back to the advantage and investment of regular dealership service, when it comes to finally selling your car. If you have no intention of selling it, and perhaps passing it on to your heirs,

Last edited by orangeokie; 02-02-2021 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:48 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I agree with folks. DIY, this will cost you about $50 for the 10L synthetic oil (Castrol 5W40), about $12 for oil filter, about an hour or two of time, and possession of ramps, basic tools and oil filter wrench (about $8 that is reused every time).
So for $70, you get to refresh your beloved car for an entire year. IMO I would do this yearly.