Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pcm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 08:14 AM
LV600 is infamous around these parts
I have a feeling your PCM issues will arise again, as the HDD has a bad sector which hasn't been resolved. It might be okay, but I would replace it, but that's just me.

As for the upgrades for AA, people have had success with Joyeauto and their products. You might try it out, since it's relatively cheap compared to a new PCM, or similar system.

https://www.joyeauto.com/product/por...play-solution/

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Old 01-27-2021, 08:24 AM
gvenz33 is infamous around these parts
so it’s interesting. When I left the alarm off last night for a little while and then went back to the car the radio still work. Turned on the alarm last night and woke up this morning, turned on the car and it started resetting again until i pressed source then the radio came back up.

But I believe you are right about the bad sectors on the HDD. I just need to figure out how to Clone my drive and not sure what you mean by the CD. I didn’t get a CD when I bought my car so I would have to find what CD you’re talking about to restore and erase the bed sector copy.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:41 AM
Here is a thread that will describe replacing the HDD in the PCM. I used these instructions, but I bought a new/refurb Toshiba drive from eBay to replace my existing HDD in my PCM. I think all the parts cost less than $50, including the replacement HDD. I didn't want to experiment with a SSD, since only 1 brand seems to work, and Amazon was out of them. I used the (2) USB to PATA adapters from Amazon, and downloaded Clonezilla to clone the PCM HDD. It all worked flawlessly.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...e-upgrade.html

Here is the link to download the ISO file you need to update your PCM, once you have cloned it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1055...-common-2.html

See post #25 for the file. Download it to your computer and make a DVD from it. Put the DVD into your PCM (after you've cloned the HDD), and it will do the rest.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2021, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by LV600
Here is a thread that will describe replacing the HDD in the PCM. I used these instructions, but I bought a new/refurb Toshiba drive from eBay to replace my existing HDD in my PCM. I think all the parts cost less than $50, including the replacement HDD. I didn't want to experiment with a SSD, since only 1 brand seems to work, and Amazon was out of them. I used the (2) USB to PATA adapters from Amazon, and downloaded Clonezilla to clone the PCM HDD. It all worked flawlessly.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...e-upgrade.html

Here is the link to download the ISO file you need to update your PCM, once you have cloned it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1055...-common-2.html

See post #25 for the file. Download it to your computer and make a DVD from it. Put the DVD into your PCM (after you've cloned the HDD), and it will do the rest.

Good luck!
Wow! Love the step by step you mention. Will take care of this and report back. Thanks again!

Old 01-27-2021, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by gvenz33
Wow! Love the step by step you mention. Will take care of this and report back. Thanks again!
bought the stuff and waiting for them to arrive. Also downloaded the ISO and will burn it onto a DVD. Excited to finally have this fixed

Old 02-03-2021, 10:42 AM
bought the stuff and waiting for them to arrive. Also downloaded the ISO and will burn it onto a DVD. Excited to finally have this fixed
just a quick update. I got the solid-state hard drive cloned installed it back into the PCM. I downloaded and burned the PCM 3.1 image onto a DVDR.

The system kept rebooting. Finally the radio came on. I popped in the DVD the system read it but here is where it fails. The first thing the PCM install tries to do is reboot the system, well, that puts the radio back into a loop and the install fails and aborts.

damn I am stuck again.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:52 AM
Are you sure the DVD is being read? You could have burned a bad DVD, since the PCM should ignore everything but the update. The PCM does ignore everything, because if you scan the entire car, there are a lot of errors from the other control modules that the PCM is non-responsive during the update.

With that, I would burn a standard DVD (not a DVD-R) and retry it. I've read where a bad copy was causing problems.

You can also try putting the ISO file onto a USB flash drive, and insert it in the console. Since my PCM is the early one, it wouldn't recognize the USB flash drive. You might have better luck. Just open the ISO file and drop the files onto the USB flash drive. I've heard of people getting the system to accept the update with the USB, when the DVD gave them issues.

Fingers crossed!

Old 02-03-2021, 01:27 PM
Are you sure the DVD is being read? You could have burned a bad DVD, since the PCM should ignore everything but the update. The PCM does ignore everything, because if you scan the entire car, there are a lot of errors from the other control modules that the PCM is non-responsive during the update.

With that, I would burn a standard DVD (not a DVD-R) and retry it. I've read where a bad copy was causing problems.

You can also try putting the ISO file onto a USB flash drive, and insert it in the console. Since my PCM is the early one, it wouldn't recognize the USB flash drive. You might have better luck. Just open the ISO file and drop the files onto the USB flash drive. I've heard of people getting the system to accept the update with the USB, when the DVD gave them issues.

Fingers crossed!
Is that the little horizontal slot on the bottom center of the Unit? Is that for a micro SD card? I will try that when I get home.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:54 PM
No. The slot under the PCM is for a SIM card, so you can use the cell features in the PCM and bypass your cellphone. The USB is located in the center console, where you rest your elbow. Open it up and you should see a USB and headphone jack. Plug into the USB and see if the PCM recognizes it.

Old 02-03-2021, 02:24 PM
No. The slot under the PCM is for a SIM card, so you can use the cell features in the PCM and bypass your cellphone. The USB is located in the center console, where you rest your elbow. Open it up and you should see a USB and headphone jack. Plug into the USB and see if the PCM recognizes it.
Oh, Ok. My bad. Yes it recognizes when I connect my phone. I will open the image on a flash drive and try that out as soon as the radio comes back up.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:58 PM
Deezflip is infamous around these parts
Old 02-21-2021, 04:52 PM
Oh, thanks for the link. so this was just filed, anyone have any luck with Porsche to fix this or do we have to wait for the class action to finalize in order for them to to acknowledge the damage and be forced to force it?

Old 03-25-2021, 09:50 AM
So long-awaited updates on this PCM issue. I tried everything and just when I thought that it was fixed it’s not. I did a factory reset and when I turn off the car turn it back on the PCM goes back into infinite reboot mode.

I waited for the next time the PCM would come online again, which it did this morning, so I tried the other complete reset erasing everything. Everything got erased, I thought everything was working and when I turn off the car, went and ran some errands, and came back, turned on the car and the PCM went back into infinite reboot mode.

I called the dealer and asked about the PCM reboot situation and they told me that it was an XM radio update that crashed a lot of the PCMs and to do the reset which I did.

If that did not fix the situation then my PCM is dead in the water and it was gonna cost me $3500 to get a new PCM. I asked if I can buy a used one from the junkyard and get that. they told me that the PCMs are linked to the VIN on the car. I could attempt to flash the PCM and input my cars VIN but There’s no guarantee that it would work. Of course they would say that because $3500 is $3500 to them.

This is such a frustrating situation in polite words! Goose Frabba.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:00 AM
Kayvan1347 is infamous around these parts
So long-awaited updates on this PCM issue. I tried everything and just when I thought that it was fixed it’s not. I did a factory reset and when I turn off the car turn it back on the PCM goes back into infinite reboot mode.

I waited for the next time the PCM would come online again, which it did this morning, so I tried the other complete reset erasing everything. Everything got erased, I thought everything was working and when I turn off the car, went and ran some errands, and came back, turned on the car and the PCM went back into infinite reboot mode.

I called the dealer and asked about the PCM reboot situation and they told me that it was an XM radio update that crashed a lot of the PCMs and to do the reset which I did.

If that did not fix the situation then my PCM is dead in the water and it was gonna cost me $3500 to get a new PCM. I asked if I can buy a used one from the junkyard and get that. they told me that the PCMs are linked to the VIN on the car. I could attempt to flash the PCM and input my cars VIN but There’s no guarantee that it would work. Of course they would say that because $3500 is $3500 to them.

This is such a frustrating situation in polite words! Goose Frabba.
talk to Atwong1 he is an expert.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Kayvan1347
talk to Atwong1 he is an expert.
yeah he didn’t want to help me out cause I told him that I just want to get it fixed and sell my car to buy a newer model. Now he’s ghosting me. Guess he isn’t willing to help anyone on this site. Guess I am going back to the drawing board and trying to figure this out myself.