Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pcm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 04:08 PM
gvenz33 is infamous around these parts
Pcm replacement question

Quick question: Is it a basic swap and play to replace the PCM/radio unit from another Porsche or is there programming involved?

on a separate question, Has anyone replaced the PCM with an aftermarket touchscreen, has anyone used this kit with an aftermarket head unit to work with the steering wheel controls?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Insta...3/284027598699

Last edited by gvenz33; 01-17-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:43 PM
Kayvan1347 is infamous around these parts
I am sure you need programming with PIWIS for new PCM.
as far as after market one I don’t know about it.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Kayvan1347
I am sure you need programming with PIWIS for new PCM.
as far as after market one I don’t know about it.
That’s what I thought. That’s a bummer. Damn.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:16 PM
If you think you will keep your car for while and might do more upgrades you can invest on a Piwis II . You can buy it for about $400.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:27 PM
If you think you will keep your car for while and might do more upgrades you can invest on a Piwis II . You can buy it for about $400.
where can I get one for $400?

I don’t know how much longer I plan to keep my Panamera but either way I do need to get the PCM working again. I was able to remove the PCM unit and can tell that the HDD is clicking. So that is gone. I was going to try to remove the HDD and see if I could see the contents on my PC.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:56 PM
I got mine from
https://obd2.market
if the HDD not totally gone yet you can clone it on a SSD using a disc clonner double bay. I got it for 30$ from Amazon. Buy if is totally gone I don’t know what you can do. May be ask dealer how much for the pcm software only. Is it a Bose system ?

Old 01-19-2021, 09:44 PM
I got mine from
https://obd2.market
if the HDD not totally gone yet you can clone it on a SSD using a disc clonner double bay. I got it for 30$ from Amazon. Buy if is totally gone I don’t know what you can do. May be ask dealer how much for the pcm software only. Is it a Bose system ?
thanks good idea. I was going to try and access it on my PC but my PC only had external SATA slots to mount HDDs. I had an eternal disc reader but it only worked up to Windows 7. Got to find an IDE reader. I will figure it out. To find out if the HDD is still accessible.

At least the main question of purchasing a PCM system on eBay would be harder than just a plug and play. I was looking for a PiWiS device but I don’t think I was looking at the right product. I just saw a cable with ODB II PLUG to USB on eBay.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:39 PM
Just click on link I gave you and it take you to the Piwis for sale at $360.
fir cloning I use Unitek double docking with cloning capability.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:58 PM
Just click on link I gave you and it take you to the Piwis for sale at $360.
fir cloning I use Unitek double docking with cloning capability.
ok wow. So this tool is used with a PC and software to do a lot of the things Porsche dealers can access? So I would need to order the PiWiS with the software since I don’t have the software, right? Just want to know what software they ate referring to.

Man I know 20 questions. Just want to make sure I understand what this is and I am biting what I need to make sure if I buy a replacement PCM, I can program it to work in my car.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:34 AM
This as far as I know, but you can ask from atwong1. He is the ultimate expert at Porscha modification.
you can pm him.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:55 PM
This as far as I know, but you can ask from atwong1. He is the ultimate expert at Porscha modification.
you can pm him.
Thanks for the info. Will keep everyone posted

Old 01-26-2021, 01:37 PM
LV600 is infamous around these parts
You just need to replace the HDD in the PCM, clone it and re-install. I've been down this road. My PCM is on version 1.35, so it needs an update. Your PCM can be updated easily, since the ISO available on rennlist. There are a few long threads that will talk about this issue.

I swapped out my HDD and re-installed the unit, and it would still reboot. The issue was XM radio was still trying to update and access their portion of the HDD. Once I canceled XM and it was completely off, the PCM was rock solid.

Start here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-an...ve-to-ssd.html

Good info, and you can have the PCM up and running in short order.

Old 01-26-2021, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by LV600
You just need to replace the HDD in the PCM, clone it and re-install. I've been down this road. My PCM is on version 1.35, so it needs an update. Your PCM can be updated easily, since the ISO available on rennlist. There are a few long threads that will talk about this issue.

I swapped out my HDD and re-installed the unit, and it would still reboot. The issue was XM radio was still trying to update and access their portion of the HDD. Once I canceled XM and it was completely off, the PCM was rock solid.

Start here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-an...ve-to-ssd.html

Good info, and you can have the PCM up and running in short order.
Thank you for your response. Yeah I read that XM updates screw it all up. I think that's what happened when the car was in the shop. I have since removed XM service from the Porsche but I can't get the PCM booted to get the update removed. I will try and find the ISO on rennlist. i will probably have more questions. Can I use the same HDD or will is continue rebooting cause the XM update is still causing the reboot? Thanks for your time.

Old 01-26-2021, 02:29 PM
LV600 is infamous around these parts
The original HDD in the PCM is bad, or going bad. I don't know what yours is doing. Does the PCM work for about 2 minutes and reboot? If so, you can still remove the PCM, remove the HDD and clone it, and re-install the new cloned HDD. There will still be a bad spot on the new HDD, since you cloned the bad spot onto the new HDD.

Once you install and run the update CD, it will erase and fix the 'bad' spot on the new HDD. You'll then be back to 100%, even with XM working.

Running the update disk without changing the HDD won't do anything. It will try to write to the bad section on the HDD and fail, and crash.

That thread on rennlist is comprehensive and what I used to get my PCM back up and running. Since my PCM version is at 1.35, it makes it a little more difficult, since there aren't a lot of PCM ISO files in the wild.

Last edited by LV600; 01-26-2021 at 02:31 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-26-2021, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by LV600
The original HDD in the PCM is bad, or going bad. I don't know what yours is doing. Does the PCM work for about 2 minutes and reboot? If so, you can still remove the PCM, remove the HDD and clone it, and re-install the new cloned HDD. There will still be a bad spot on the new HDD, since you cloned the bad spot onto the new HDD.

Once you install and run the update CD, it will erase and fix the 'bad' spot on the new HDD. You'll then be back to 100%, even with XM working.

Running the update disk without changing the HDD won't do anything. It will try to write to the bad section on the HDD and fail, and crash.

That thread on rennlist is comprehensive and what I used to get my PCM back up and running. Since my PCM version is at 1.35, it makes it a little more difficult, since there aren't a lot of PCM ISO files in the wild.
ok this is completely weird. So I have my radio disconnected. I had the car with alarm off and fuse out for the PCM. I put the fuse back in and then reconnected the radio and now it works. It still has XM signs even though I cancelled it from my Panamera. I hope it lasts. I guess I am just waiting for XM to kill the signal. I guess we’ll see in the morning.

so my system version 2.47; PCM 3.1. Are there any upgrades? Additional features that can be added? DVD upgrade or mp4 player? Android auto?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pcm