Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, large oil leak under car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 06:00 AM
dallinator is infamous around these parts
Yes, I am not all that concerned about small drip leaks. I will watch those and address them when they change. What I want to clear up is the thing that caused it to gush out oil. Once I get it all cleaned up and figure out what is really going on I will get a course of action for all of those things.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:33 AM
HP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the rough
I had a similar looking leak that was caused by me reusing a stretched aluminum oil plug during my first oil change (new to me), The prior oil change was done before I purchased the car at dealership. I assume they did not replace the plug. It made a MESS under the car from driving 900+ miles on interstate. I lost about 3/4 quart over the trip -- found out when I left a big oil spill on in-laws driveway. (not the best way to introduce a new car to family). It looked like everything was leaking -- but it was only the plug.

After replacing the plug -- the aluminum washer and plug sealed oil tight - never any more issues. It was not apparent that the plug was stretched until compared to a new plug -- easy to see then.

I torqued the oil plug both times to spec -- but the stretched plug started leaking at some point after putting the belly pan back on. Same torque on new plug sealed fine. 40K miles and 8 changes later and never any more issues - but I do replace the Al plug at changes. (which may be overkill)

Porsche recommends changing the plug with each change.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:15 AM
jzchen is infamous around these parts
I replaced the plug and gasket the first time I did the oil change, which was within two months of buying the car. When I pulled the original plug I realized someone prior had used the wrong adapter to get it off, damaging the hole in the plug so much it looked like a torx bit was the proper tool. My bit got stuck in the bolt in the process. When I got a replacement I realized how damaged it was. 2nd oil changed I reused the bolt, but replaced the gasket/aluminum washer. That's all you really need to change per instructions.

Anyone else have an inclining of suspicion that this list of issues all of a sudden pop up? I literally drove off the lot with an issue with the driver side rear view mirror, then one by one had issues pop up with the car, but not all at once.

I did not know there's hydraulic fluid in the control arm? Also the tensioner?

Old 05-11-2021, 08:22 AM
dallinator is infamous around these parts
Update for everyone. I finally got it all taken care of, the main source of the leak was the oil pan as it has a small hole and the bolts were really loose. Wonder how that happened..... Anyway, new pan and gasket and all is well. Happy to be driving it again and no oil on the floor!

Old 05-11-2021, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by dallinator
Update for everyone. I finally got it all taken care of, the main source of the leak was the oil pan as it has a small hole and the bolts were really loose. Wonder how that happened..... Anyway, new pan and gasket and all is well. Happy to be driving it again and no oil on the floor!
Glad to read it's all fixed. These cars take a lot of oil so it's a real mess if it leaks out!

Old 05-13-2021, 11:12 AM
Kirkman is infamous around these parts
Oil leaking is a fairly common problem on all cars. It happens..... To "fix" a leak it must first be isolated. The motor and all oil areas must be cleaned - you cannot determine a leak source on a dirty/oily motor except by sheer luck An old "trick" is to spray the clean motor with "jock itch powder" -oil lead source will immediately reveal itself

I use an indy for oil changes; and he acted dumb in installing my drain plug - used an electric wrench and over torqued the drain plug causing a big leak. He fixed it gratis, and now hand torques the drain plug. No more leaking.

Old 05-13-2021, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Kirkman
I use an indy for oil changes; and he acted dumb in installing my drain plug - used an electric wrench and over torqued the drain plug causing a big leak. He fixed it gratis, and now hand torques the drain plug. No more leaking.
I wonder how many of these oil leaks are from someone reusing the Al gasket. When I first changed the oil I went to my usual local auto parts websites and ended up finding gaskets either at Carquest/Advance or NAPA. When I went to pick them up they were the wrong size, way too small. So I eventually took another car, since I was then in the middle of the job, to get the plug, (damaged prior to ownership, otherwise reusable), and gasket at the local Porsche dealer.

Since BOTH plug and gasket are Aluminum, it is imperative to replace the gasket to get a good seal. If the bolt were a harder metal than Al then you may have a chance to reuse the old one, but definitely not with Al on Al. Once "forged" there's no way the Al plug will be able to flatten the old Al gasket to the proper shape to seal. For a long time I kept the original gasket with the beveled surface because the plug compressed the area it made contact with clearly visible and felt, the center of ring was compressed while the outer circumference was not...

Old 07-25-2021, 12:27 AM
Alozcarneey is infamous around these parts
My car did that. The oil leaks you show, look pretty minor, as there isn't much wetness around the engine.

Last edited by Alozcarneey; 02-15-2022 at 11:56 PM.
Old Today, 04:59 AM
negb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dallinator
in case when during oil change is found that gasket for oil sump, part no. 94810727521 is leaking it can be fixed with liquid gasket and won't be needed to wait for OEM gasket and drain oil again ......