Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 981 S owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:26 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
New 981 S owner

Picked up my 2014 white Boxster S two weeks ago... A stripper with only 8k miles... but had the two options I really loved... Red sport seats and a 6spd.

This is my first Boxster but my 4th Porsche... I never thought I'd really be into these cars, always was more of a 911 guy... in fact the only reason I'm driving this car is because someone snatched up the 993 I was about to purchase the day before I made the decision to put my deposit in... so as fate would have it, I decided to give this car a try instead.

Completely blown away by how well this car handles and how good it feels. Wow.. yeah, this car drives so nice!

So now, the modding will begin.. dumping the stock 19" wheels for 20"s to fill out the wheel wells, AWE exhaust on the way, GTS tails installed as well as LED front turn signals, GT4 rear diffuser and side scoops coming, duck tail spoiler coming, got the rear wind deflector to put in, etc etc... just a bunch of little things to get the car looking and sounding right. Don't feel like it needs more power... but I imagine that will change.

Swapped out the stock shift ****... seemed like it was WAY too tall. The new one sits a bit lower, but I may still have to get the short shift kit, we'll see.

Anyhow, looking forward to enjoying this car for awhile and I hope summer comes sooner than later.

Only had this car two weeks and I'm already deep into it... I think sun coast is pretty happy with me.

Any tips etc appreciated... happy motoring!

Old 03-02-2017, 06:37 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats! I'm on my second 981 and had 3 987s after owning back-to-back 997 S. As much as the 911 is the standard, I can't get over how much more I enjoy driving the mid engine models. Balance is so much better. I don't see me ever going back in terms of a modern Porsche. Can't ever see me selling the Spyder either. It's a beast. I see you have full leather so it's not stripped by any means. Getting the sport plus mode upgrade would be quite good. If memory serves that's available to you. Definitely go for the Spyder duck tail. I elected to pass on the GT4 intakes. If you want more power the IDP plenum and larger throttle body is the answer. Plus higher flow filters. Car already screams.

As for 20" wheels I'd much prefer 19". For one the 20" creates a lot of dead space around the brakes, but mostly my favorite tire, the Bridgestone RE-11 only comes in 19". I'm bummed I can't get a set of RE-11s for my Spyder. So much better than any other option.

Yeah Suncoast knows my address well. There's really not a lot you need for the car. F+R trunk liners are nice to have. Color crested wheel center caps are a step up.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:45 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Yeah I didn't think about the brakes.. guess I can upgrade rotors later, just felt the stock 19s look so tiny and tucked in. I'll get some pics up when the car is done with the basic stuff... hopefully I'll have some time over the next few weeks.
As for options, yeah there's not even nav on this car.. but has the bose sound system.. just odd to me.. but honestly I'm really enjoying the simplicity of the overall car and how great it drives. Porsche really nailed it... might have to look into other 981 models instead of going 991 lol

Old 03-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Awesome! Excited to see everything come together and btw I am super jealous of that red leather

Old 03-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Yeah I didn't think about the brakes.. guess I can upgrade rotors later, just felt the stock 19s look so tiny and tucked in. I'll get some pics up when the car is done with the basic stuff... hopefully I'll have some time over the next few weeks.
Spacers may satisfy you. Porsche fitted spacers as OEM on the '08 Boxster RS60 Spyder, and they do make a nice aesthetic difference, and they were only 5mm. I liked them.

BTW, I'm now on my 3rd Porsche ('11 Spyder, '12 Cayman R, '16 Spyder) with "Sport Suspension" as opposed to standard or PASM. It blows away PASM. Not only is it 20mm lower than standard, it's set up perfectly and was the more expensive option between it and PASM. Makes a huge difference in cornering. It's also quite a deal at $1550 from Suncoast (dampers, springs, and beefier sway bars). Which suspension do you have? With Sport Suspension, I see no need for anything else. It's that good for a road car! Super compliant over high and low frequency bumps, and taut. Never crashes. Just soaks up everything and yet keeps the car super planted.

The only aesthetic change I made on my '14 Cayman S was to remove the painted lower splitter and swap for the unpainted black one fitted as standard for the basic Cayman. Thought it looked much nicer and my Cayman S was white like yours. Needed to reduce some white! For the Boxster, you have a lot of options between GTS and GT4/Spyder parts. Black logo lettering would look great. I'm assuming your lettering is chrome like my Cayman came with. Also, I miss the Porsche side stripes of the '11 Spyder and '12 Cayman R. Very retro going back to the 908. There is a similar side stripe kit for the 981 called the Motorsport GT4 side stripes. Although I would most likely not place the front pieces like my Cayman R had. I may add those to my Spyder. Amazed it didn't come with them since all '11/'12 Spyders did, and the 981 Spyder is essentially the next generation and an obvious attempt to build upon the first gen.

Last edited by Steve997S; 03-04-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:19 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Nice seats. (Bought a 2006 GTO with a Torrid Red exterior color and with Red Hot (red) leather seats. People used to comment on all the red and I'd just tell them I bought the car a night and thought everything was brown. Me? I liked the red.)

You sure you want 20" wheels/tires? The ride's going to be harsher than all heck.

I have no recommendations regarding the other mod's. Do what you want.

Just in case you are not aware of this, be sure you check the body water drains to ensure they are free of any trash. A blocked water drain can let water overflow into the cabin which gets the security module under I think the passenger's seat wet which requires replacement of an expensive part.

There are body water drains on either side of the battery and one eash under the clamshell arm.

To get at the front drains you'll have to remove the covers one on either side of the battery box (and probably the battery box cover too). These covers are held in place by -- at least with my car -- a Torx screw, the security type with a pip in the middle so you need to be sure you buy the right set of Torx bits.

To expose the rear body water drains you'll have to put the top in the "service position".

At the same time check along the bottoms of the doors to make sure they are dry. The door's dry side is sealed with a membrane than can over time delvelop a leak. This lets water in the dry side and electrical gremlins can arise but there is the risk of water draining from the door into the cabin.

'course, you want to keep the trash build up in the radiator ducts to a minimum.

The Boxster is a great driving/great handling car. I've had my 2002 now for 15 years and even after nearly 310K miles still enjoy the heck out of it. It is not like I do not have alternatives. My 2nd car is a 996 Turbo and while the Turbo is a great car the Boxster comes in for its share of use.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Awesome tips guys... I'll check the drains next time I'm out there.... I saw the suspension parts on sun coast... I'm not sure what suspension I have, but I doubt it's the upgraded one and definitely does not have PASM.

As for 20" wheels... yeah, already ordered em.. keeping the stock rims, so I can always swap back and forth. This is just my fun weekend car, so I'm not too worried about how harsh it will be.

Already have the black letters (ordered the day after I bought the car lol) and whoever ordered it had the designation delete, so I had to order the "boxster s" logo as well.. in black.

I have the duck tail and gt4 sides sitting here ready to be put on.. GTS tails and front turn signals already done... front tow hook license plate when my plates show up.. oh and the wind deflector for between the seats, since mine didn't come with one.

Also have an AWE exhaust and GT4 rear valence sitting in boxes in my living room. I have a lot of work to do. Doing all these cosmetic things first then I'll start tweeking the suspension and motor if needed.

I do all these little projects myself so honestly it's just finding the time. I still have to figure out 20" tires and get some TPMS sensors... ugh.

Yeah, the red seats are what caught my eye... just looks so good on this car... but again, they're not even the power ones.. I feel like whoever built this car just didn't want many extras... well, at least it gives me something to do.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:18 PM
betlion is infamous around these parts
how much did you get your gt4 ducktail for?

Old 03-09-2017, 06:08 AM
porshatt is infamous around these parts
Dr. Volkl

My 2014 Cayman has 20" Carrera Classic wheels with new rear tires. I am interested in trading it. Can you post pictures of yours?

Old 03-22-2017, 10:12 AM

Finally got around to installing the side scoops and ducktail... I need to do some fine touches to the spoiler, line it up a tad better.

All I have left is my exhaust, rear diffuser, wind deflector and go out and get tires for the rims I purchased. She's coming along!

Old 03-22-2017, 04:47 PM
Looking excellent!

Old 03-23-2017, 10:18 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Congrats! I'm on my second 981 and had 3 987s after owning back-to-back 997 S. As much as the 911 is the standard, I can't get over how much more I enjoy driving the mid engine models. Balance is so much better. I don't see me ever going back in terms of a modern Porsche. Can't ever see me selling the Spyder either. It's a beast. I see you have full leather so it's not stripped by any means. Getting the sport plus mode upgrade would be quite good. If memory serves that's available to you. Definitely go for the Spyder duck tail. I elected to pass on the GT4 intakes. If you want more power the IDP plenum and larger throttle body is the answer. Plus higher flow filters. Car already screams.

As for 20" wheels I'd much prefer 19". For one the 20" creates a lot of dead space around the brakes, but mostly my favorite tire, the Bridgestone RE-11 only comes in 19". I'm bummed I can't get a set of RE-11s for my Spyder. So much better than any other option.

Yeah Suncoast knows my address well. There's really not a lot you need for the car. F+R trunk liners are nice to have. Color crested wheel center caps are a step up.
I have a new set of 981 sport wheels with new tires I'll be listing shortly if you're interested. They are 19 inch

Old 03-23-2017, 11:13 AM
jg_atl is infamous around these parts
Looking good! Yeah, I am not a big fan of those wheels - both size and style. I'll be interested to see how your back end looks after installing the rest of the mods.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by jg_atl
Looking good! Yeah, I am not a big fan of those wheels - both size and style. I'll be interested to see how your back end looks after installing the rest of the mods.
Yeah, the new wheels will be more aggressive, plus 20"... going to get some beefier tires all around... nothing too drastic. I'll post pics when it happens, but it's gonna be awhile... busy with other life stuff so the car will have to wait!

I'm hoping the rear diffuser looks cool...

Old 03-23-2017, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by White Rock
I have a new set of 981 sport wheels with new tires I'll be listing shortly if you're interested. They are 19 inch
Thanks but I'll stick with the unique Spyder wheels even though I can't mount my favorite tire. Hoping the new Michelin 4 is worth a try, or I'll opt for the softer Pirelli. Neither will be as good but at least better than what my Spyder came with.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.