996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

TX2K8 National Event - Road Racing, Dyno Day, 60-130, Drag Racing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:56 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
TX2K8 National Event - Road Racing, Dyno Day, 60-130, Drag Racing

It's that time of the year for me again...time to plan the TX2K8 event. I would like to invite EVERYONE from this community to come to our event in March in Houston, TX. This event started as a Supra only National Meet but has really turned into a Sports Car Extravaganza! Having said that, let me post the details about each days event:

Thursday March 20, 2008 - Texas World Speedway - Road Racing/Driver's Education

The road racing/driver's education will be on Thursday March 20, 2008. The event is once again going back to Texas World Speedway (www.texasworldspeedway.com). Think 150+ mph on the banked oval!!!!!

We will be running the 2.9 mile configuration:

TWS is approximately 80 miles from the host hotel:

From the hotel, get onto Beltway 8 (Sam Houston Tollway) NORTH. Proceed on the tollway for approximately 8 miles, through two tolls and until you get to Highway 290. Take 290 WEST and stay on 290 for approximately 36 miles. Merge onto Highway 6 N towards Bryan/College Station and stay on for approximately 33 miles. TWS will be on your right BEFORE College Station.

Gates Open: 7:00 am

Mandatory Driver's Meeting: 7:45 am

First Cars On Track: 8:00 am

Cost per Car: $240 via cash, check or MO, or paypal $248 to pblach@att.net (NON REFUNDABLE - however if your plans change you can sell your spot to someone else)

Transponder Cost: $50 cash, check or MO, or paypal $52 to pblach@att.net (NON REFUNDABLE - however if your plans change you can sell your timing spot to someone else)

Deadline To Submit Payment: the deadline is January 15, 2008. If we don't have 40 cars signed up by 1/15/08 then we will have to cancel this event. I know we go through this every year, but please, if you are coming please submit your money asap so that we can guarantee the track.

Classes and Format:
Those of you in the beginner class will not have access to a transponder/timing aparatus, those of you interested in having a transponder/timing aparatus will be in the advanced class. Please make sure you include your fee for this if you want to be timed.

Beginner - if you've never run a road course before or if you feel like you need an instructor in your car to teach you the track. It will be up to the instructor to allow you to run alone and to decide if you are qualified enough to do so.

Advanced - if you have run the 2.9 mile TWS configuration before, or if you have 3 previous SCCA or other sanctioned body road course/driver's education events under your belt. This class is also for those that would like a transponder and would like to be part of the time attack event.

Dinner After TWS:
All of us know that after a LONG day at the track, there is NOTHING like having a great sit down dinner. I have worked with Caffe Capri (www.placeforitalian.com) to arrange space for 50+ to have dinner after the TWS event. Cafe Capri is only 10 minutes from TWS and will allow us time to unwind and have a nice sit down dinner after racing. As we leave TWS we will all caravan to the restaurant for a bite to eat. They seem to be very accomodating to our group, have a great reputation with the locals and have fairly priced food. We will leave TWS at 5:30 and caravan to the restaurant.

OK, I think I've covered everything here, please feel free to post any questions and please get your money in ASAP!!!!

1. YOUSEF ALEMADI - Beginner
2. KEAN **** - Advanced
3. CHRIS JOHNSON - Advanced (Transponder/Timing 17)
4. CODY WHITEHEAD - Advanced (Transponder/Timing 1)
5. KURT CHALOPIZA - Advanced
6. NICK DIEP - Advanced (Transponder/Timing 2)
7. RICHARD BARATTA - Advanced
8. DIANE COLLINGS - Beginner
9. MARTY KAYE - Advanced (Transponder/Timing 3)
10. IVAN CURIEL - Advanced
11. ERIC CARVER - Advanced (Transponder/Timing 4)
12. GEORGE DARWIN - Beginner
13. MARK CAMPBELL - Advanced (Transponder/Timing 5)
14. MIKE LOUSTAUNAU - Beginner
15. RON HENDERSON - Beginner (Transponder/Timing 6)
16. PETER ANASTASOPOLOUS - Beginner (Transponder/Timing 7)
17. THOMAS BRADLEY - Beginner (Transponder/Timing 8)
18. THOMAS BRADLEY - Beginner (Transponder/Timing 9)
19. NICHOLAS FARTHING - Beginner
20. SEAN REED - Beginner (Transponder/Timing 10)
21. TAG MARLOW - Beginner (Transponder/Timing 11)
22. PAOLO SATHLER - Advanced (Transponder/Timing 12)
23. MARK BROWN - Advanced (Transponder/Timing 16)
24. FRANKLIN GUTIERREZ - Advanced
25. ADAM GRESSWELL - Beginner
26. ATUL MAJITHA - Beginner
27. BLAKE HAGLER - Beginner
28. JIM FLEWELLING - Advanced
29. HONG LI - Beginner
30. CALE HOWARD - Beginner
31. LINH TU - Advanced
32. BRANDON HARLAN - Beginner
33. RAMI COMINGORE - Advanced
34. GUS SUDIRO - Beginner
35. BRIAN KOSHY - Beginner
36. JEFF SEGNER - Beginner (Transponder/Timing 13)
37. FRANK TOMLINSON - Advanced (Transponder/Timing 14)
38. JOSHUA GINN - Advanced
39. RICH WARNER - Beginner
40. ZOHAIR JAFFERY - Advanced
41. SCOTT DAVIDSON - Advanced
42. BRETT WILLIAMS - Advanced
43. JEAN BUISSON - Beginner
44. MARIANO CASTILLO - Beginner (Transponder/Timing 15)
45. YOUSUF HUSSAIN - Beginner
46. WILLIAM JOHNSON - Advanced
47. STACY BARNETT - Advanced
48. ZACH TAYLOR - Beginner
49. SW - Advanced (Transponder/Timing 18)
50. DANNY MUNOZ - Advanced (Transponder/Timing 19)
51. MIKE CROSSLAND - Beginner
52. LOGAN LANDIG - Beginner
53. JUSTIN NENNI - Advanced
54. JOE NGUYEN - Beginner
55. TROY ANDERSON - Beginner
56. BEAU FENSKE - Advanced
57. RYAN SCHIMSK - Advanced
58. MUHAMAD CHOUDHURY - Advanced (Transponder/Timing 20)

Last edited by houstonT; 03-04-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:58 AM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
Friday March 21, 2008 - Dyno Day - Lonestar Motorsports Park

The dyno day will be at Lonestar Motorsports Park (www.lonestarmotorsportspark.com). Friday kicks off the first of three days of events at Lonestar and John Hennessey (owner of the track) was gracious enough to offer his grounds to all of the attendees to leave trucks, trailers, etc...overnight. The dyno day schedule will work the same way it's worked over the last three years. First come first serve... I will be at Lonestar at 8:20 am on Friday and will be taking sign ups for the dyno day that morning. Sponsors will get a guaranteed spot but the rest of the spots will be open to anyone. The first car will hit the dyno at 9:00 am and we will dyno cars every 20 minutes until 4:00 pm. All awards will be presented at 4:30 pm.

Cost: dyno cost is FREE, cost to enter gates for the day is $10/person and this goes to Lonestar payable at the gate.

Food: concessions will be open all day

Directions from Hotel:
From the Hotel, get onto Beltway 8 (Sam Houston Tollway) NORTH and travel approximately 3 miles until you get to Interstate 10. Take I-10 WEST (LEFT) and stay on I-10 for approximately 43 miles. Exit 713 Beckendorf Road and follow the signs to Lonestar (once you exit to the right, you will take a left and onto a bridge over I-10, then you will turn right onto the access road on the other side of I-10 and follow to Lonestar).

If you have any questions about the dyno day, please feel free to post them here!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Saturday March 22, 2008 - 60 to 130 Competition - Lonestar Motorsports Park

The 60 to 130 competition will be at Lonestar Motorsports Park (www.lonestarmotorsportspark.com). John Hennessey (owner of the track) was gracious enough to offer his grounds to all of the attendees to leave trucks, trailers, etc...overnight. The gates will open at 9:00 am and the track will go hot at 10:00 am. From 10:00 am until 12:00 pm we will have practice runs. Starting at 12:00 pm until 4:00 pm will be the official runs that will count towards the competition. I will also be available to download your data and post graphs after the event. All awards will be presented at 4:30 pm.

Cost: spectators will pay $15 to LMP. Tech cards will be $40 in the tech lane. Everyone will pay $15 to enter and those interested in racing in the competition will go to the tech lanes to get a tech card.

60 to 130 Classes:

Street Tire Class - this includes all DOT approved, grooved street tires. R-compound tires are also included in this class.

Drag Radial Tire Class - this includes all drag radials in any size.

UNLIMITED Class - this includes all cars outfitted with slicks (ET Streets, ET Drags, Hoosier Slicks, etc...)

Last Year Winning Times:
Street Tire Class - Nick Diep 6-Speed Supra - 6.6
Drag Radial Class - Bob Helms Auto Supra - 4.8
UNLIMITED Class - Stacy Barnett TT Viper - 4.6

Other Car Times for Comparison:
*Denotes that time has been verified by downloading the data and verifying accuracy (making sure there was no data lost during the run)
*4.15 - Bob Helms Autobanh Supra TH400, 88mm Turbo
4.6 - Stacy Barnett TT Viper 6-speed
*4.72 - Peter Blach Autobanh Supra 6-Speed, 78mm Turbo
5.4 - Kelly Martin SRT-10 Viper at TX2K7
5.9 - GSXR 1000 with bolt-ons at TX2K7
6.1 - Saleen S7 Twin Turbo
6.9 - Mosler MT900S
7.0 - Ferrari Enzo
7.3 - Porsche Carrera GT
*7.56 - Vrybad / C5 Z06TT (APS Turbo, no cats, stock muffler, 573 rwhp @ 9.5 psi)
8.6 - Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06
8.9 - Mercedes SLR McLaren
9.1 - Porsche 993 RUF Turbo R (100 octane)
9.4 - Lamborghini Diablo VT 6.0
9.5 - Ferrari F430
9.6 - Ferrari F50
10.9 - Lamborghini Murcielago
11.7 - Ferrari Challenge Stradale
12.1 - Lamborghini Gallardo
12.2 - Porsche 996TT

and some comparative times:

4.78 - Markski / RWD / Driftbox / 2 shifts
4.90 - Divexxtreme / RWD / Driftbox / 2 shifts
5.64 - Todd Z / RWD / Driftbox / 2 shifts
5.93 - OhioGT2 / Driftbox / 1 shift
5.9x - VRAlexander / AWD / AX-22 *1.3 BAR run / 2 shifts
6.15 - DMK / RWD / Driftbox / 0 shifts
6.26 - Chinitowest / AWD / Driftbox / 1 shift
6.45 - RenntechV12 / GT2 / Driftbox / 0 shifts
6.70 - Dr Jitsu / GT2 / Driftbox / 1 shift
6.74 - Woodster / AWD / AX-22 / 1 shift
7.25 - Colorinc / AWD / Driftbox / 1 shift
7.73 - Eclou 997TT / AWD / Driftbox / 2 shifts
7.84 - 9Eleven / GT2 / Driftbox / 1 shift
7.93 - KPG / AWD / Driftbox / 1 shift
8.3x - 996TT STEVO / AWD / AX-22
8.76 - Scotty slc / AWD / Driftbox / 1 shift
9.10 - Bill S / 993 Ruf R Turbo 490 HP / AX-22 / 2 shifts
9.56 - Topgun / AWD / Driftbox / 3 shifts
10.06 - Panas001 / AWD / Driftbox / 1 shift
10.96 - Woodster / AWD / AX-22 / 3 shifts

Old 11-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Sunday March 23, 2008 - Drag Racing - Lonestar Motorsports Park

The Drag Racing event will be at Lonestar Motorsports Park (www.lonestarmotorsportspark.com). John Hennessey (owner of the track) was gracious enough to offer his grounds to all of the attendees to leave trucks, trailers, etc...overnight. The gates will open at 8:00 am and the track will go hot at 9:00 am. From 9:00 am until 11:00 am we will have practice runs. Starting at 11:00 am qualifying will start and the schedule will be as follows:

11:00 am - qualifying pass 1
12:00 pm - qualifying pass 2
1:15 pm - eliminations round 1
2:30 pm - eliminations round 2
3:15 pm - eliminations round 3
4:30 pm - final round eliminations

There will be a dedicated lane for test-n-tune ALL DAY LONG. Since the drag racing classes are Supra specific, you will be able to run all day as many times as you'd like. You will however be able to participate and race in Class 7 with rules as follows:

Class 7 (6-Speed Challenge)
Cost to enter this class is $100 payable to me at the gate when you get to LMP. The winner will get 75% of the pot and the runner-up will get 25% of the pot (i.e. if there are 8 cars entered, the winner will get $600 and the runner-up will get $200). The only rule is that you must run a 6-speed transmission, no automatics allowed, any car make/model allowed.

Cost: spectators will pay $20 to LMP. Tech cards will be $45 (in addition to the $20 cost to enter).

Last edited by houstonT; 11-06-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:04 AM
TX2K8 ULTIMATE Street Car Competition

$1,000 CASH - how does that sound? Well, this year at TX2K8, that will be the payout that will go to the "ULTIMATE Street Car". Here's how the competition will work:

Step 1: send $50 to me, that will enter you as a contendor in the "Ultimate Street Car Competition"

Peter Blach
12915 Carlaris Court
Houston, TX 77041

Step 2: decide which events you want to participate in, each event will result in points given to the cars entered in the "ULTIMATE Street Car Competition".

The points will be given as follows:

---Road Racing - you will have to pre-pay for this event and reserve a transponder. Points will be awarded as follows:
Fastest Lap Time (for a car entered into the Competition): 100 points
2nd: 95 points
3rd: 90 points
4th: 85 points
5th: 80 points
6th: 75 points
7th: 70 points
8th: 65 points
9th: 60 points
All others entered: 55 points

---Dyno Day: you will get a GUARANTEED SPOT during the dyno day. Points will be awarded as follows:
Highest Dyno Number (for a car entered into the Competition): 100 points
BONUS: 10 points (any car that makes over 700 rwhp)

---60 to 130 Challenge: you pay at the gate to enter the 60 to 130 challenge. Points will be awarded as follows:
Quickest 60 to 130 Time (for a car entered into the Competition): 100 points
BONUS: 10 points (any car that is quicker than 6.0 from 60-130)

---Drag Racing: you pay at the gate to enter the drag racing competition. This competition will be based on ET and NOT mph. You do not need to enter a specific class, you can run test-n-tune all day and submit your quickest ET. Points will be awarded as follows:
Quickest ET (for a car entered into the Competition): 100 points
BONUS: 10 points (any car that is quicker than 11.0)

Q&A:

Do I need to enter every event? NO, all you need to do is have the MOST points at the end of the day Sunday.

What type/kind of cars qualify? ANY CAR (Supra, Porsche, Vette, Viper, WRX, EVO, etc...). If you have an AWD car, contact me and I have a way to count your dyno number that will require some verification, etc...

How do you know what my quickest times are? It will be up to the person in the competition to bring me VERIFICATION of their quickest time/dyno number. Don't assume I know what you ran or how much power you put down. You need to make sure you come to me to show me your time slip, remind me of you dyno number, etc...

Can we have different drivers for the different events? Yes, I do not care who drives your car, all I care about is the fact that you have to run the SAME car in each event you enter that you want to count towards the ULTIMATE Street Car Competition.
What kind of car do you think is the best candidate for this competition? Those cars that do everything well have the best chance.

OK, that about sums it up. Get your $50 entry fee to me and you will be official and I will post your name on this thread!

Peter
PAID ENTRANTS TO DATE:
1. Mark Campbell - C6
2. Marty Kaye - 996TT
3. Eric Carver - 06 ZO6
4. Ron Henderson - 94 Supra
5. Peter Anastasopolous - 996TT
6. Sean Reed - 996 GT2
7. Thomas Bradley - 98 Supra
8. Tag Marlow - 94 Supra
9. Mo Choudhury - 02 IS300 Turbo
10. Stacy Barnett - TT Viper
11. Jason Lord - ??? (What do you drive?)

Last edited by houstonT; 03-19-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 AM
MODS, any chance of making this thread a sticky? I would like to get as many P-cars to the event as possible. The P-car community has nothing like this event and I would like to entertain the possibility/idea of making it more of an official P-car event. Who can I talk to as a potential sponsor or someone that can help me make this happen for the 6speed and P-car community?

Peter

Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Hotel Information

1. Holiday Inn Express
2930 W Sam Houston Pkwy South
Houston, TX 77042
713-785-3899
Confirmation: Supra Meet
Wednesday Night: 25 rooms
Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday Night: 50 rooms

2. Best Western
2950 W Sam Houston Pkwy South
Houston, TX 77042
713-782-1515
Confirmation: Supra Meet
Wednesday Night: 20 rooms
Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday Night: 40 rooms

Old 11-06-2007, 02:52 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Any chance of adding a standing mile event as well?

Old 11-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
+1 One Standing Mile. Also, why are there bonuses for dyno, 60-130, drag race but not for the road course...Nonetheless, OUTSTANDING EVENT, PETER!!!

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 11-06-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm sorry, I tried EVERYTHING to have a standing mile event as well but I just can't logistically and financially make it work...

Sean, I have NO clue what the "bar" would be at TWS, therefore I don't feel comfortable taking an arbitrary time and saying "if you beat this time you get extra points..." TWS points will stand as is...

I am trying to get some Porsche sponsors on board and am doing everything to truly turn this into a National Supra/Porsche Event. I will keep you all updated. If you are interested in road racing/driver's education or in the ULTIMATE Street Car Competition, please pre-pay asap.

Thanks!
Peter

Old 11-06-2007, 04:44 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Peter,

2:00 is a pretty good lap for TWS. Also, if the LMP dyno is only 2WD, alot of 4WD cars may be excluded. 997's for instance, cannot run even with the AWD diff disconnected.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:47 PM
sdorn is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eclou
Peter,

2:00 is a pretty good lap for TWS. Also, if the LMP dyno is only 2WD, alot of 4WD cars may be excluded. 997's for instance, cannot run even with the AWD diff disconnected.
I think he has a provision for cars that can't run on the 2 wheel dyno, you just need to contact him so that another dyno pull can be used and verified, etc.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:50 PM
sdorn is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by houstonT
I'm sorry, I tried EVERYTHING to have a standing mile event as well but I just can't logistically and financially make it work...

Sean, I have NO clue what the "bar" would be at TWS, therefore I don't feel comfortable taking an arbitrary time and saying "if you beat this time you get extra points..." TWS points will stand as is...

I am trying to get some Porsche sponsors on board and am doing everything to truly turn this into a National Supra/Porsche Event. I will keep you all updated. If you are interested in road racing/driver's education or in the ULTIMATE Street Car Competition, please pre-pay asap.

Thanks!
Peter
What about having the standing mile on the same day as the dyno day? You can only have one car on the dyno at a time anyway. What are the other cars going to be doing that day when they aren't on the dyno?

Old 11-06-2007, 05:43 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
I too would like to see a standing mile comp. Peter you might try contacting some airport managers at area airports. Ellington field is the only airport I could find that has adequate runway length and is close. There are two runways that have 8000+'. There number is 7138474200.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Jean - don't worry my friend, I have a plan for this! I will accept a dyno sheet from another shop under the following conditions. It's dated within the previous 10 days. It's SAE corrected. The shop can verify that in fact it was your car. A lot of it will be on the honor system.

sdorn - there will not be two different events at two different locations. The only way we could do the mile is if it were on Wednesday as the first day of TX2K8. There will be a car show going on during the dyno day as well.

TXGold - brother, I would like to nominate you to do the following:

1. Organize the Mile event.
2. Put together the man power to make the event happen.
3. Organize all timing equipment.
4. Work with Ellington (b/c I know this is the ONLY airport in Houston with a runway long enough) to rent their runway.
5. You pay Ellington.
6. You take the insurance liability and put your name on the insurance certificate.
7. You collect the money.
OK, I'm being sarcastic!!!! Here's my point. I tried my BEST to make a mile event happen. There are SOOOOOO many things that go into organizing something of this magnitude and I just could not make it happen. In all seriousness, if someone here would like to take the lead to make a mile event happen, please do it on Wednesday and I will support you in any way possible.

Peter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TX2K8 National Event - Road Racing, Dyno Day, 60-130, Drag Racing