Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:31 PM
96BeaSSt is infamous around these parts
DFW National Cancer Survivors Day Car Show - Sunday, June 1, 2008

DFW National Cancer Survivors Day Car Show
Sunday, June 1, 2008
The Filling Station, Dallas, TX

Due to some recent changes that have taken place, there are a few updates to this car show. However, the basic premise has not changed. I am doing this to help promote the interests of the cancer survivor and to raise money for programs that share the same views.

The chosen charity is still the Virginia R. Cvetko Patient Education Center and their program that they are in the process of developing. Below you will find a brief overview of this program. All of the money raised at this event will be donated directly to this program to help offset the costs involved to create and implement it and to provide longevity to continue this program for years to come. Based on the information that I have read, most of which is provided here, this program addresses true concerns a cancer survivor faces, and I feel that it will be a huge benefit to those that are both recently cured and to those who have been cured for many years.

The information below was received directly from Mr. Greg Powers, with the Virginia R. Cvetko Center, but has been edited to fit within this post.

The LLS chapter in San Antonio developed this transition program. It will probably be revised before being instituted at the Virginia R. Cvetko Center, but this is a pretty good outline of what is planned.

Transitions: Life After Cancer
  • Session 1: Fear of Recurrence - MD speaker
  • Session 2: Psychosocial Issues around Survivorship - Social Work speaker
  • Session 3: Long-Time Side Effects: What They Don't Tell You - MD speaker
  • Session 4: Sex After Cancer - RN speaker
  • Session 5: Nutrition and Complementary Therapies - Nutritionist speaker
  • Session 6: Celebration of Life - Chaplain speaker
Sessions would be held for two hours, every other week. The first part of the program would be a speaker for approximately one hour. The second part would consist of a support group type meeting to discuss the information from the talk or any other issues from the group.

As many of you know, there is a pre-existing weekly car show at this location, promoted by Jared with RiceKiller.com. Therefore, I have adopted the agenda to hopefully compliment the existing times, but these times are subject to change.

Agenda - Sunday, June 1, 2008
  • 1.00p - 2.00p: Car Show Participant Registration and Vendor Setup
  • 2.00p - 2.30p: Event Opens to Public, Presentation of Event, Explanation of Car Show Judging, and Thank You to Volunteers
  • 2.00p - 5.00p: Car Show Judging (5.00p - 5.30p: Tally Votes)
  • 5.30p - 6.00p: Awards Show (Car Show, Door Prizes, Silent Auction, etc.) and Closing Presentation
At this point, there will not be categories in the since that each category winner will receive a prize. We will however, organize the participants in similar groups. You may still bring out your car and show it without entering in the show, the donation simply give you an opportunity to win a trophy and donate to a good cause.

Car Show Groups ($10/car)
  • Car Cancer Survivors (must include picture of car prior to restoration from rust)
  • Modern Cars
  • Classic Cars
  • Trucks/SUV's
  • Motorcycles/ATV's
  • And more...
This show cannot happen without volunteers, so I am asking for help from anyone willing and able to donate their time to help make this show a great success. Below you will find some specific areas that I need help with, but if you can only give a few minutes a week, let me know, and I'm sure I can find something for you. Some of these volunteer opportunities do not take place on the day of the show, so if you're not going to be in town for the show and still want to help, there are plenty of options

General Event - To oversee the general progress of the event
  • Organize vendors and sponsors
  • Collect donations
  • Organize individual volunteers
Car Show - To plan and organize the car show
  • Gather support from local car clubs
  • Organize the categories
  • Plan voting procedure
  • Run table at event (at least 2 at all times for entire event)
Additional Volunteers
  • Pass out fliers
  • Make phone calls
Thank you all for your continued support.

An edited version of this is available on the main page of the Google Groups website for NCSD DFW. Please contact me directly if you would like to help out in any way. Also, please pass this information along to anyone who might be interested in attending, helping, or sponsoring/donating.

Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by 96BeaSSt; 05-28-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
HiSide is infamous around these parts
I just bought my wife the new mustang with the warriors in pink package. It was appropriate as it was her 10 year mark. Its not as expensive as alot of other cars, but it means the world to her.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Awesome news, I'll hit my 3 year mark in June. Congratulations to you both!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:55 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
I organize the Luigis meets and would love to help out on this event please call or PM me.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by globalm3
I organize the Luigis meets and would love to help out on this event please call or PM me.
Still can't PM yet, I'll try to rack up the necessary 15 posts real quick and send you my information. In the meantime, and if I can receive a PM, would you just want to PM me your number and I'll call you tomorrow? I'm hoping to hear back from APO tomorrow about their meeting tonight.

Thank you very much for your interest in helping.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:32 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 96BeaSSt
Still can't PM yet, I'll try to rack up the necessary 15 posts real quick and send you my information. In the meantime, and if I can receive a PM, would you just want to PM me your number and I'll call you tomorrow? I'm hoping to hear back from APO tomorrow about their meeting tonight.

Thank you very much for your interest in helping.
pm sent

Old 02-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Bakushan is infamous around these parts
Let me know how I can help.

I have access to more than 40 sponsors and 11,000 enthusiasts. I would love to be apart of this event. PM me!

Old 02-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Bakushan
Let me know how I can help.

I have access to more than 40 sponsors and 11,000 enthusiasts. I would love to be apart of this event. PM me!
AWESOME!

Still haven't reached my required number of posts to send PM's yet, I can receive them if you don't mind sending me one with your contact information.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Well, it looks like APO is going to assist with this, but at this point they are requesting that I involve additional UTD organizations as they feel they are too small to be effective. I am now working with three other organizations here at UTD in hopes of gathering additional support.

In the meantime, I would really like to get a core group of people together to serve as a committee to continue the planning of this event. I know a lot of you have expressed interest in helping me, and I would like to open this up to anyone who is willing to put in some time to get make this event as best as it can be. I would like to have a meeting within the next two weeks to discuss logistics and start getting a basic plan of events. If you are interested, please either post here or PM me with your contact information and I will add you to the list. If you have contacted me in the past with your interest in helping, please let me know if this is something that you are able to assist in. I do not want to assume you are willing to put in the amount of time necessary for this, and I do NOT want you to feel obligated to participate in this.

What I would like to expect from all committee members is the following:
- Willingness to answer all questions about this event from any interested party (vendor, participant, specator, or other).
- Ability to make phone calls, attend scheduled meetings (will try to accomodate all schedules), and to do whatever else might be required.
- TO HAVE FUN!
- And to do this all for FREE!

Again, I know it's a lot to ask, but I really do need help with this and would greatly appreciate any assistance that I can get. If this sounds like something you even might remotely be interested in, when we get the first meeting scheduled, show up and listen to what's said. If it's something you can help with, GREAT! If not, there will be no hard feelings and I will gratiously thank you for taking the time to find out.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:07 PM
I sent you my contact info

We raised more than $2000 for Frisco Family Services in the car rally we did. I would be more than happy to help you out.

Call or email me

Old 02-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Meetings Tomorrow

Well, I'm going in for the meetings with UTD Staff Council and AED tomorrow looking to add more support on campus for this event. I hope to have great news tomorrow night. I just wanted to thank everyone for their support...

Old 02-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by 96BeaSSt
Well, I'm going in for the meetings with UTD Staff Council and AED tomorrow looking to add more support on campus for this event. I hope to have great news tomorrow night. I just wanted to thank everyone for their support...
I got your VM I have been swamped and have not gotten the chance. The best thing is to show up at the Saturday meet and we can chat a little about it and go from thier.

Thanks and good luck

Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 PM
No worries, I was wanting to get tomorrow behind before I took the next step. Thanks for the support.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Updated Information at Top

I have updated the latest information in the first post, please contact me if you are interested. Thank you.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Sun. 2/17 Meeting

I am holding a meeting this Sunday evening at 5.00p at Luigi's Pizza and Pasta in Frisco. This will be a chance to listen to some of my ideas, meet other people who are interested in helping out, and start developing some clear guidelines. Also, I will be creating a few committees to head up certain aspects of this event. You are more than welcome to attend even if you are unsure if you can help, or if you know that you will only be able to put in a few hours when possible.

If you are planning on attending Sunday, please contact me as soon as possible so I can get a decent head count. If you are able to make it, but haven't had a chance to let me know, please come any way. Also, to help offset the cost of the pizza and drinks, please bring $3. Dritan, with Luigi's, has graciously allowed us to use his restaurant for this meeting and will be providing the pizza and drinks at a discount.

I understand that many of your are not going to be able to make it this Sunday, but if you are interested in more information, please send me an E-mail so I can pass on what we discuss.

Luigi’s Pizza and Pasta
4944 Preston Rd. #120
Frisco, TX 75034
http://www.luigispizzafrisco.com/
Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4944+P...=16&iwloc=addr

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: [North Texas] National Cancer Survivors' Day - June 1, 2008