996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

My 996 to 997 conversion on my C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 09:42 PM
Porsche_Shiftin04 is infamous around these partsPorsche_Shiftin04 is infamous around these parts
My 996 to 997 conversion on my C4S

I've owned my 04 C4S since 2010 when my father and I took a trip to long island to buy the car. Prior to buying the car I looker at an 05 Carrera and a Ferrari F355. The Ferrari was gorgeous butte owner wanted 20 grand over book value and I wasn't willing to pay more than the car was worth. The 05 911 was a sweet ride as well, I just want crazy about the rear end like I was the 996 model. I found the C4S online and took the trip with my father. The second I test drove the car I knew I wanted it. My only issue with the car was i didn't care for the front end like I did the 997. So, I bought the car with plans to build MY ultimate Porsche. I almost bought the conversion 10 times already but couodnt find the nerve to spend 5 grand.

The time has come when I hit the "pay now" button and my excitement can't be explained lol. I got the kit in from Extreme Motorcars the other day and have to say i am very impressed. The thickness of the fiberglass is so thick you can stand on it before it will break. A metal fender will dent before this fiberglass cracked. The alignment of the kit is great but, it obviously needs body filler work. The amount of filler work is very very minimum. The only issue i have come across so far is the front bumper not aligning correctly. Jeff from extreme had me send pics to help with this issue. Ill keep everyone updated on his response. So far I have installed the fenders, hood, headlight trays and headlights. There is ALOT of pieces to this kit and takes a lot of time to put together. I still have to wire the headlights, bumper lights and side markers, align gas neck, install gas door (a bunch of little pieces), install front bumper and then do bodywork. Here is my car before the kit and where I currently stand with the install.

For the people who thinks its ridicious to change the front end please save the comments. I understand not everyone cares for the kit and frankly i don't care. This is my car and what I want for it. I don't care who can tell its still a 996. Good for you, give yourself a pat on the back. I don't care that non porsche owners wont realize the difference, I build my car for me and what I want. I don't want to save my money and buy a 997. I could have already but passed on it. I wanted a 996 with a 997 front end. In my eyes that's the porsche that should have been built to begin with. Now that I've cleared that up.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:04 PM
Fierofly is infamous around these parts
Is this an exact copy of the 997 dimensions? My thoughts are, if I was going to do this much work, I'd want something totally different, wider fender, extra scoops, just to stand out in the crowd. Then maybe a 500hp LS3 corvette motor, LOL. I'll be watching this one for some ideas.

2003 C4S LS3 My build,

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...version-7.html

Old 05-18-2015, 07:26 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
It's coming along nicely. I forgot, does that kit use OEM bumper and hood?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Subscribed

Old 05-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Porsche_Shiftin04 is infamous around these partsPorsche_Shiftin04 is infamous around these parts
Yeah the kit is the exact replica of the GT3RS front end. Only difference is I got the GTO hood with it.

Today I spoke with Nick, who is Jeff's installer at extreme motorcars. What a great guy. He spent a good 30 minutes on the phone with me going over the entire kit. The alignment on the kit is second to none.

That LS build is crazy!! I looked through your thread. I gotta say that's impressive. Extreme Motorcars sells different variations of the kit. If your interested I can get you their contact info?

Old 05-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Alpine, yes the hood and bumper are exact replicas. If you look at the parts you can actually see the stampings from the original parts that they used for a mold. The thickness of the fiberglass is THICK.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:48 PM

Front bumper is bolted on. Just picked up some Dura-Glass today so I can't start doing the little body work that's needed. The gas door is going to be the hardest part. The inner shell comes separate from the fender and has to be aligned and molded together. I'll try and get as detailed picks as I can. I won't do much work on the car this week. I gotta finish my boat so I can start doing some fishing.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:05 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Porsche_Shiftin04
GTO hood...
Where does that nomenclature originate from? I had always thought that was the 993TT style hood which then Gemballa did a ver. for the 996TT.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:06 AM
That's the name I got from the maker of the kit.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:58 AM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Will you be doing the rear as well? This is looking pretty good so far! I definitely prefer the front end of the 997 much more as well.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-19-2015, 12:07 PM
I just talked with my painter and tomorrow he is ordering my paint. I hope to have the parts back off the car within the next two weeks and at my painters. He is a friend of mine so my quote was near nothing than most shops would probably charge to prime, block sand, paint and then wet sand and buff. While the parts are being painted I plan to have the hood wrapped in 3m carbon fiber along with the gas door. My friend actually owns a vinyl shop in my town and will come to my house and do the vinyl work for me.

Pelican, I'm not touching the rear end. I love the C4S rear end over the 997 rear. The 996 C4S rear in my opinion is the nicest rear end of all the prior 911's.

Thanks, it takes some time but like I keep saying, this kit lines up extremely well. It needs some attention obviously cause nothing is perfect until you make it that way. I'd say anyone who is an intermediate with body work can easily do this kit in their garage as well.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Nice! Well make sure to post up pictures of the car, front and rear, when you're finished. Would love to share a picture of your car in its finished state.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Absolutely will do. I plan on taking pictures the rest of the way through the build and documenting where I see it needs the most attention. This way if anyone else in the future wants to take this task on they will know what they are getting themselves into.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:09 AM
CK911C4 is infamous around these parts
Newbie here, What a great write up . I've been looking at this kit. It's exactly what I want to do to my 01. Thanks for sharing........Nice Job !

Old 05-20-2015, 12:24 AM
Eurotunerporsche is infamous around these parts
hey guys new member here. As a 27 year old and owner of over 24 german sports cars (7 being Porsches) would like to say nice work so far.

That kit looks like its coming along great wanted to congratulate you on the Xtreme change lol very high quality parts and fit perfectly. Im sure he sent diagrams and directions and list of parts. its going to look like a 200,000$ car again and still remain looking like a high end porsche. The update will take years off the car facelifting it 9 years awesome man.

I actually have known Jeff, owner of extreme motorcars for over a year now. he and his company and his workers are incredible group of guys. Very honest and so helpful and do not cheap out on materials and know some of the higher up people like owners of gemballa and techart etc.

I actually have the extreme motor cars GT3RS rear bumper for the 986 rear conversion. Hoping to get the zeintop kit as well. Also in the works in buying Xtrememotorcars EVO techart front bumper and 997 front end cpnversion as well with aurora 991 mk1 style black bi-xenon headlights on ebay for 1500$. Jeff will supply you with the OEM headlight brackets and all hardware as well as the hood hinges and can source OEM headlights DRLS and side markers as well. The the EVO bumper is the exact replica of techarts and the GT3Rs is also exact rep. very high quality none of the DURAFLEX or cheaper materials. I have car at numerous shows and also gave him liberty to distribute pics of my car and it has made many buy the rear kit . Exhaust is being done now also custom except no one in worls will have it. Feel free to contact Jeff at Xtreme motorcars and mention my name aaron to him, he may work something out with you. Best and nicest guy to talk to about modding exterior of your Lamborghini or Porsche.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 996 to 997 conversion on my C4S