Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Gear shift issue and P2138

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 03:14 PM
Dav1992 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gear shift issue and P2138

Hi

Have a 2004 continental GT. Had a transmission fluid leak which meant gear shift were really lumpy and between gear 3 and 4 wouldn’t shift up unless I lifted foot off the accelerator.

well anyways got the fluid topped up today and all gears are perfect apart from a jolt when car shifts from gear 1 to 2 and a jolt when shifts down from 3 to 2. Seems like an issue with gear 2. Could the fluid just need time to bed in given 4 litres had leaked which is monumental given capacity only around 8 litres!

then also today p2138 code came up (accelerator pedal sensor). Could this be the cause of the gear 2 issue or the gear 2 issue the reason for this code showing up?

thanks in advance

Old 10-16-2019, 05:31 PM
sam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud of
For p2138, not sure if you've seen this.... http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18039/P1631

particularly, the special notes

Old 10-16-2019, 08:32 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello Dav,
Check what Sam said, but also give us some information, as to milage, filter change, etc.
I believe the 6HP26A holds 10.5 quarts or 9.9 liters, so tell us how you did the top off, did you bring it up to operating temperature, did you ever change the filter, use the proper fluid, how long did you drive it low on fluid, color of the fluid in the transmission, burnt in color or smell ?

I myself would flush the transmission a few times, change the filter, but you may also have a sticky gear solenoid.

Johnny

Old 10-17-2019, 12:05 AM
Thanks both

yeah saw that link. Really weird haven’t had the accelerator pedal sensor before. Wonder if just because of gear 2 issue?

yeah maybe it is more litre capacity in the gearbox (my bad). Was done by an Indie but they definitely just topped up rather than flushed through. Could that be the cause? They did do the topup at the correct temp etc. The remaining fluid was changed earlier in March and car has only done 500 miles since so fluid was in good condition and filter was done at that point.

thanks

Old 10-17-2019, 12:31 AM
Also Jonny what is a sticky solenoid could that impact only one gear?

thanks

Old 10-17-2019, 08:36 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
There is a solenoid for each gear, the valve body has 7 solenoids, 6 forward, 1 reverse, see picture.

Also you did not mention the mileage on the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Dav1992
Also Jonny what is a sticky solenoid could that impact only one gear?

thanks

Old 10-17-2019, 09:06 AM
Thanks. Mileage is 92k and that part was replaced in March so doubt it is that.

thanks

Old 10-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Hello Dav,
Please give us the full story, so it is not just that the fluid and filter were changed back in March some 7 months ago, but also the complete value Body with all new solenoids and board, if this is the case, why is it some 4 liters low after said such repair ?

How did the car even engage in gear being that low, when my W12 A8L developed a very small leak on the transmission cooler seals I could feel something was wrong as going into gear, and I was only just about 2 liters low.

Johnny

Thanks. Mileage is 92k and that part was replaced in March so doubt it is that.

thanks

Old 10-17-2019, 10:50 AM
sirrichi is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you reset the transmission? I do not know how it is called in english... Resetting the adaption-values via software. I had a small jerk from time to time when the car shiftet 4-5. After reset it works perfectly (now about 5000kms later already)

Old 10-17-2019, 02:48 PM
Hi Jonny

apologies for being vague before. I have just acquired the car 2 months ago. But when I got it it was sluggish from the start. Was still engaging but just not shifting up.

I was shocked at the 4 litres lost too and not sure whether the garage has just pulled a fast one to charge me more. It is going in for the leak repair as just imagine one of the pipe seals gone or something (Hopefully).

so at that point in March solenoid was done, filter and transmission fluid flushed through.

earlier this week was just a simple topup no flush through of the system or any sort of system reset.

thanks

Old 10-17-2019, 05:13 PM
Administrator
Hi Dav1992,
Okay, so here is the hard question, and it is not meant to be rude or cynical, being you have only had the vehicle for the past 2 months what proof do you have that said work was done back in March, and when you say that the "solenoid was done" do you mean that the whole complete mechatronic (valve body) with all 7 solenoids was replaced, or just one of the solenoids that someone felt was bad, also if any of this work was done it should have had an adaption done at that time as Sirrichi mentioned, also leaking 4 liters in 500 miles is a bad leak, that's what makes me wonder if anything was done, as the first thing to do back in March would have been to fix the leak.

Something else to look into would be if the 2004 Bentley 6HP26A transmission received any software update as like the Audi A8's 6HP26A61 transmission did in 2004-09 model years, there was an update because of bad shifting between 1-2, and harsh bumping downshifting from 4th to 3rd, it also covered the hooting sound problem in the transmission.

Johnny

Hi Jonny

apologies for being vague before. I have just acquired the car 2 months ago. But when I got it it was sluggish from the start. Was still engaging but just not shifting up.

I was shocked at the 4 litres lost too and not sure whether the garage has just pulled a fast one to charge me more. It is going in for the leak repair as just imagine one of the pipe seals gone or something (Hopefully).

so at that point in March solenoid was done, filter and transmission fluid flushed through.

earlier this week was just a simple topup no flush through of the system or any sort of system reset.

thanks

Old 10-24-2019, 08:57 AM
Administrator
Any update ?

Old 11-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Sorry for the late reply I lost the link

So all I have seen is the photo of the part going in and so I know it is a full used solenoid unit that has gone in.

No refresh has happened that I know about

since the previous post have put on a new battery and a new accelerator pedal sensor and 2nd gear shift issue

is still a problem.
indy ran a gearbox report and seems as though regulator 5 is out vs the rest. Does this correlate to gearbox 2 and any idea how to change? Report attached.

thanks

Old 11-05-2019, 02:26 PM
Sorry also if just one solenoid is it easy to change that one individually. Logically regulator 5 could be gear 2 and regulator 6 gear 1 etc

thanks

Old 11-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Administrator
Please explain your comment "So all I have seen is the photo of the part going in and so I know it is a full used solenoid unit that has gone in." , as I stated above, there are 7 solenoids attached to the valve body, so, please post the picture you have of what "has gone in", was it just 1 solenoid, or all 7, or a complete valve body, and being you state they installed a "used" part.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gear shift issue and P2138