Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Modified Aston Martin V8 S vs non-modified vs V12S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 02:08 PM
coololeg is an unknown quantity at this point
Modified Aston Martin V8 S vs non-modified vs V12S

Hi,

I am debating whether to do VelocityAP modifications to my 2011 V8S because I want more torque especially in lower RPMs and wonder if any one has any of the following information, experience or any suggestions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with VelocityAP mods for Vantage V8S?
2. Do they, in reality, provide"claimed" benefits in torque/HP?
3. How does such modified V8S compare to V12S?
4. Does anyone have modified V8S near Chicago (Chicagoland area) - I would love to test drive to compare.

Thank you very much to anyone who takes time to respond and help out!

Old 11-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
After having 3 V8 Vantages and 3 V12S Vantages - here's my take. I like having my cars under warranty (I have 3 years left on my 2017 V12S factory warranty), so modding is not possible. A used V12S is a massive bargain, but I know a few V12S that are aggressively driven, and aggressively at 565 HP is aggressive potential wear over a V8. The V12S is more unique and is somehow more special. The engine is electric smooth and linear, the V8 is more intuitive in feeling where the powerband is. If you have the V8 already and are happy with it and it;s out of warranty I'd mod it. If you have the $$$ and want something a bit more special and unique, the V12S, if you find a non-abused used example is a tremendous value, especially if you can find one with a warranty left.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:50 PM
Modified

Thank you. My V8 is out of warranty. But it is also a roadster. And I like roof down experience a lot. V12S roadster is probably even harder to find than coupe. If I splurge I guess it would have to be on a roadster, but then I wonder if modified V8 would close enough to me feeling better about low rpm torque. I agree that V8 seems more intuitive and natural about its powrrband and I like that. Driving V12 did not generate for me ‘oh god’ epiphany because probably there are very few situations where limits of what V8 could do are exceeded and where V12 would instill more confidence. For an exciting but somewhat measure driving with roof down I feel V8 is plentiful in general with me wishing more torque from stand still into second and then third, but mostly in first and early second gear.,

Old 11-06-2019, 08:51 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
I just finished installing my velocityap, airbox delete, 200 cell cats, and tune and it definitely changes the car for the better, especially mine which was way too quiet in its stock form.

Last edited by sonies; 11-06-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Thank you

Originally Posted by sonies
I just finished installing my airbox delete, 200 cell cats, and tune and it definitely changes the car for the better, especially mine which was way too quiet in its stock form.
Did you use VelocityAP pack or something else?

Old 11-06-2019, 08:54 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by coololeg
Did you use VelocityAP pack or something else?
yep, all velocityap stuff

Old 11-06-2019, 10:06 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Ok-

I'm going to put it bluntly. RUN do not walk to get your VelocityAP modifications completed.

I did this to my 2015 Vantage V8S (Manual):

VelocityAP Equal-Length Headers
VelocityAP 200-Cell High-Flow Cats
VelocityAP ECU Tuning - Stage 2
VelocityAP Twin Plate Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel

The car is now a Beast. You will not be disappointed.

I'm done for the season, but look forward to next spring and another summer of driving.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:10 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Another point to consider V8 or V12S - The V12S loves gas stations, you will make almost double the visits to quench it's thirst - and your insurance will be much higher. I have a perfect driving record, the V12S is $1,000 more to insure every 6 months, again, somewhat worth it, but when I think about it logically, makes no logic, but it's more unique and special, as illogical as it is.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:33 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
Another point to consider V8 or V12S - The V12S loves gas stations, you will make almost double the visits to quench it's thirst - and your insurance will be much higher. I have a perfect driving record, the V12S is $1,000 more to insure every 6 months, again, somewhat worth it, but when I think about it logically, makes no logic, but it's more unique and special, as illogical as it is.
This is an important aspect to consider, i.e., the GAS! I stayed away from the V12 for this very reason.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:43 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
There's a v12 Vantage at a local dealer and I'm curious how much faster it is than my modded car. I'll try check it out and report back on impressions after a test drive.

I hear the concerns about the v12 and gas. The other concern raised to me by my ASton mechanic is longevity and reliability of the v12. He didn't think too highly of them in those areas.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:02 AM
My first v12S engine blew up shortly after Aston took it back and resold it - but the car had a history of being tracked. The engine (and clutch, and all accessories and hoses) were replaced under warranty - it had about 32,000 miles on it. Other than that, I've not heard anything negative about reliability. The gas mileage does suck. Interestingly before I put it in storage, I was holding 75MPH and if the fuel computer was right, it showed an average 24MPG at that speed. When I had my V8's they too got greater mileage at a higher highway speed than promised. Around town it's more like 12MPH. That's 4MPG better than I was getting in my Lagondas!

Old 11-06-2019, 04:57 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
"I want more torque especially in lower rpms".

Is that your sole priority? Are you interested strictly in straight line speed or do the shape of power and torque curves, and subjective things such as "feel" of an engine, and sound, matter to you?

If you care only about speed and bang for the buck, a modded V8 is probably the best route. In theory, with the right tires and suspension, it should out handle a V12 also, given the better weight distribution (although with stock suspension on both, forget about it; the V12, at least the S, has the measure of the V8).

A V12 will give you that lower rpm torque without mods. The engine also delivers its power and torque in a remarkably smooth, creamy fashion, as only a V12 can. From my subjective standpoint, the "feel" and noise of the V12 set it on a different plane from the V8, and I say this having owned a 4.7 V8 (albeit with no engine mods). Not that the V8, especially if modded, sounds bad, just different, and not unique. For me, though, the V12 really transformed the car and gave it a proper, exotic feel that I never quite got with the V8.

As for gas mileage, seriously?

Old 11-06-2019, 06:12 PM
kdm
kdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of lightkdm is a glorious beacon of light
This may be considered sacrilege by some, but have you considered the GMR supercharger kit soon to be offered through Rich (redpants.lol) ?

Old 11-07-2019, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by kdm
This may be considered sacrilege by some, but have you considered the GMR supercharger kit soon to be offered through Rich (redpants.lol) ?
why would that be sacrilege? that would be awesome! (although expensive I'm sure...)

as for gas mileage v8 vs v12... lol who cares, my v8 gets crap gas mileage too