Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Phone mobile data disconnects when driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 12:42 PM
Jacko Andrews is an unknown quantity at this point
Phone mobile data disconnects when driving

Hey guys, a funny little quirk I've discovered. My Nokia 8 Android phone connects with my Continental GT fine, and it shares media like Spotify etc. The problem is whenever I get in, the car connects to the phone but the phone disconnects from the mobile data. I can make phone calls, but can't connect to the internet to stream music once I leave the coverage of my home wifi.

Anyone had that issue before?

Old 11-06-2019, 01:32 PM
AJ1
AJ1 will become famous soon enough
Mobile data turned off within phone settings ?

Old 11-06-2019, 01:34 PM
Yup, mobile data is turned off in the phone with no option to turn it back on. Only if I turn the car off will it work.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:40 PM
AJ1
Originally Posted by Jacko Andrews
Yup, mobile data is turned off in the phone with no option to turn it back on. Only if I turn the car off will it work.
There must be an option to turn mobile data ON within your phone settings.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:42 PM
Yes, but its greyed out unless I turn the car off.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:44 PM
AJ1
From Google:
Turn mobile data on your Nokia 8 Android 8.0 on or off
You can still use Wi-Fi even though mobile data is turned off. Slide two fingers downwards starting from the top of the screen. Press Mobile data to turn the function on or off. Press the Home key to return to the home screen.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:46 PM
Yes, thats correct. Wifi works when I'm in range of the home system. This stops once I leave the house, of course.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
I found the same as AJ, what happens if you totally turn off the Wi-Fi , and be sure that mobile data is always on ?

https://devices.vodafone.com.au/noki...ata-on-or-off/

Old 11-06-2019, 01:56 PM
I just went out and had another play. I did a fresh reboot of the phone.

With wifi turned off I have full mobile service. I turn the car on and my phone beeps to confirm its connected. Now the mobile data is turned off with no option to do anything. I can make calls, but no streaming.

There is a message popup on the phone that says 'Request client to disconnect' with a button labelled disconnect. I presume this would disconnect the bluetooth connection.

As soon as I turn the car off my mobile data is available.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:56 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jacko Andrews
I just went out and had another play. I did a fresh reboot of the phone.

With wifi turned off I have full mobile service. I turn the car on and my phone beeps to confirm its connected. Now the mobile data is turned off with no option to do anything. I can make calls, but no streaming.

There is a message popup on the phone that says 'Request client to disconnect' with a button labelled disconnect. I presume this would disconnect the bluetooth connection.

As soon as I turn the car off my mobile data is available.
Sorry I could not be of help with this one, what does happen if you press the "Request client to disconnect" button ?
Is it just this Nokia 8, or have you tested other cellphones with the same outcome ?

Old 11-07-2019, 01:20 PM
No worries. I'll try with the wife's iPhone over the weekend, see if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Old 11-07-2019, 06:44 PM
A-ha! Sorted it out. The car runs a dual-sim system alongside the bluetooth media system, all three are separate entities. The Nokia was confusing the Bentley.

I completely removed the pairing and started from scratch, but this time when the phone asked if I wanted to share the Nokia SIM card, I said no. And it works.

The car still 'sees' the Nokia phone and all its SIM contacts etc and the bluetooth media system still works, but now it doesn't try to access two separate SIM cards at the same time, effectively shutting my Nokia down. Very confusing, and took some time deciphering what the manual said about it.

Its to do with the cars built-in SIM card, which is meant to be the primary cellular connection.

Yikes. I guess all this stuff was meant to be set up by the dealer, not us mear mortals.