Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Hard Reset The Amplifier

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 09:38 AM
JimBT is infamous around these parts
Hard Reset The Amplifier

Does anyone know how to do a hard reset on the Amplifier as I have no sound from the radio/media/phone etc.

Last edited by JimBT; 03-04-2020 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:40 PM
AJ1
AJ1 is infamous around these parts
Is it the Naim system Jim ?

Old 03-03-2020, 10:38 PM
Hi AJ,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, it is the Naim system on a 2016 Bentley Coupe.

Thank You Jim

Old 03-04-2020, 04:45 AM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
It’s a few threads on here about the Naim amp. It might need to be sent out for service for overheating. Johnny can better elaborate on it but that’s the “fix” for when these amps go out. I don’t think it’s a “reset” as in you press a series of buttons and it plays again. Either it comes on or it doesn’t.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by TeamJones1962
It’s a few threads on here about the Naim amp. It might need to be sent out for service for overheating. Johnny can better elaborate on it but that’s the “fix” for when these amps go out. I don’t think it’s a “reset” as in you press a series of buttons and it plays again. Either it comes on or it doesn’t.
Thanks for the reply. This issue has happened before and the Bentley Dealer did a 'hard reset' on the amp (took them 5 minutes) and it worked perfectly thereafter, with no loss of settings etc. It's the same issue, so I guess it is maybe a trek back to the Dealer, or if someone knows how to do it, i'm sure it's not that difficult.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:23 AM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
See if Johnny comes in a give some advice before paying the dealer. Try to see if you can locate the threads about this issue. Try unplugging the amps power for 5 mins or so. Check the fuses for the amp. Maybe they are blown.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:35 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Same here, I have not heard of any "Hard Reset", did you check the 3 fuses for the NAIM amp ?

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-07-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:56 PM
Hi Johnny,

Here is what happened when I took the car to the Dealer yesterday:

The Dealer reset the Amp, and told me this happens quite a lot as the Naim Amplifiers 'are rubbish', their words, not mine.

They reset it without a Vagcom, they pulled a fuse (i don't think it was blown) in the trunk, above the drivers side battery, (U.S. Cars, as your diagram confirms) their is a panel of them, and did a' hard reset' on the amp (I don't know how they did that) and it took all of 5 minutes.

The existing settings were not lost (Radio, Media etc.) and all was back to normal. As I am a regular Customer they didn't charge me..

This is the 3rd time this has happened to my car, so expect it will happen again. More than this I don't know.

Cheers Jim

Old 03-07-2020, 02:42 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JimBT
Hi Johnny,

The Dealer reset the Amp, and told me this happens quite a lot as the Naim Amplifiers 'are rubbish', their words, not mine.

They reset it without a Vagcom, they pulled a fuse (i don't think it was blown) in the trunk, above the drivers side battery, (U.S. Cars, as your diagram confirms) their is a panel of them, and did a' hard reset' on the amp (I don't know how they did that) and it took all of 5 minutes.

The existing settings were not lost (Radio, Media etc.) and all was back to normal. As I am a regular Customer they didn't charge me..

This is the 3rd time this has happened to my car, so expect it will happen again. More than this I don't know.

Cheers Jim
Hello Jim,
Glad to hear you have the sound back, I would bet to say they are just pulling the power fuses of the amp to do a software reboot like a PC, as all the stored stations and setting are stored in the head unit, hence why you lost nothing, as it being your 3rd time, I'd be demanding a permanent fix...

Also it would be interesting to me to see just which "NAIM" amp your 2016 has installed, when I was searching for a 2010 NAIM amp for my rebuild, all the 2009-2010-11 NAIM amps actually state right on them "NAIM for Bentley", whereas the newer so called NAIM amps that are for sale as a NAIM amp, and have the same plugs as the NAIM amp, along with the additional 6 pin power plug that all NAIM amps have, show "BLAUPUNKT" on them, and a Bentley service rep stated to me back then, " Yes, that is the amp we are using in the NAIM system now" , that just seems wrong to me, something is not right... or is Blaupunkt now the supplier of the NAIM designed amp.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-07-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:43 PM
Hi Johnny,

Cheers Jim
My guess would be as your jamming your tunes, it over heats and goes into protection mode. See if you can find a good shop to install a fan or two on it to help keep it cool. One day that fuse reset it not going to work because it’s going to overheat and fry the amp. But glad your back to having sounds!!

Old 03-07-2020, 03:05 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by TeamJones1962
My guess would be as your jamming your tunes, it over heats and goes into protection mode. See if you can find a good shop to install a fan or two on it to help keep it cool. One day that fuse reset it not going to work because it’s going to overheat and fry the amp. But glad your back to having sounds!!
Hello TJ,
I agree as to the fan, but, being Jim has a 2016, his amp already has a built in fan that NAIM in the beginning refused to install in the 2009 to 2011 or so amps, for fear of interference noise..
I know one of these days I will be adding a pair of in and out fans of my NAIM amp, maybe even some around the area to circulate the trunk air while also putting some kind of vent area in the carpet side panel to let the air flow.

Johnny

Old 03-07-2020, 11:11 PM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
I was thinking along the the lines of overheat .
I took this pic ( 2004 launch modal ) to show the trickle charger port to someone, and noticed some vent holes superior .

Are theses OEM or retro made ?? ....Johnny ?

ps I don’t know which amp but it sounds great btw and no probs .

By the light .....look retro ? Ventilation slots ?

Old 03-08-2020, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello TJ,
I agree as to the fan, but, being Jim has a 2016, his amp already has a built in fan that NAIM in the beginning refused to install in the 2009 to 2011 or so amps, for fear of interference noise..
I know one of these days I will be adding a pair of in and out fans of my NAIM amp, maybe even some around the area to circulate the trunk air while also putting some kind of vent area in the carpet side panel to let the air flow.

Johnny

Thanks for the detailed reply Johnny, much appreciated. I agree that this is what Bentley did by pulling the 3 fuses causing a soft reset.
I cant see any stickers on the Amp as it is carpeted in (don't really want to pull it apart!) I attach a photo of the front of the Amp which of course just says NAIM.
Thanks again for the explanation.

Naim Amp

Old 03-08-2020, 12:00 PM
Randy V is infamous around these parts
Please do us all a favour - call your Bentley service advisor and ask him to explain the steps involved in a 'hard reset', being very specific.

Take notes as he explains it.

Then post back here for us to understand this process.

Thanks!

Hi Johnny,

Cheers Jim

Old 03-08-2020, 12:03 PM
Randy V is infamous around these parts
Those vent slots do not appear to be OEM.

Are they located on the left or rights side? Can't tell from that pic. Assume the intent is to ventilate the large NAIM unit that runs across the top of the boot?

The amp that typically fails due to overheating is located behind the battery located on the right side.

Originally Posted by John Fiammetta
I was thinking along the the lines of overheat .
I took this pic ( 2004 launch modal ) to show the trickle charger port to someone, and noticed some vent holes superior .

Are theses OEM or retro made ?? ....Johnny ?

ps I don’t know which amp but it sounds great btw and no probs .

By the light .....look retro ? Ventilation slots ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hard Reset The Amplifier