Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Rapide boot lights - Electrical gremlin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2023 | 10:53 PM
|
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
Rapide boot lights - Electrical gremlin

Good evening,
I am having a situation I can't wrap my head around...
The boot lights are basically not functioning... except if I pull and reinstall the fuse (F13 in the under seat fuse box)!
If I pull and reinstall the fuse, the lights come on. When I close the boot, let it sit for a couple minutes, and then reopen the boot, the lights won't come on. I have to physically remove and reinstall the fuse.
I have put a new fuse in, same results.
Any idea?
Thanks in advance!

Old 10-20-2023 | 12:56 PM
Arcadian is infamous around these parts
Do the boot lights turn off as soon as the hatch closes or do they time out like the cabin lights?

Old 10-22-2023 | 10:40 AM
|
EJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond reputeEJ_Rapide has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't been able to reproduce the pattern yet (the lights wouldn't even come on when removing/reinstalling the fuse) so I'll give it another try today or tomorrow.

Old 10-22-2023 | 11:47 PM
V12Vin
Maybe closing the boot discharges the capacitor for the bulbs? And when you pull/install the fuse, it charges the cap back up. When you reopen the boot, did you unlock/open the driver's door? I wonder if that might activate the boot lights.

Come to think of it I haven't really noticed how/when my vantage boot lights illuminate.

Old 11-17-2023 | 12:30 PM
|
So I have been doing more testing, checked the fuses, replaced the relay 4 in the boot fuse box... No luck.
What I've noticed though, when I simulate the closing/opening of the trunk, is that the tailgate lamp tries to come on but shuts down immediately, as if there was a power surge and it would just go into safe mode.
This got me beat, I don't know what/where to check anymore.
Any idea what I could/should investigate further? Any help is appreciated.
Thank you!

Old 11-18-2023 | 10:25 AM
UltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of lightUltraMarine is a glorious beacon of light
Quick things to check:
What's the resistance across the fuse? Using another fuse fix the issue?
What's the resistance across the boot light? (is it more than 1 light that doesn't work?)
What's the resistance to ground from the vehicle harness connector for one of the light's ground pin?

Old 11-25-2023 | 10:20 AM
zzzamdb9 is infamous around these parts
Behind the passenger rear headrest, there is a bolt in between the center black bracket. If that is not tightened fully the boot lights will flicker. Maybe check that is tight &/or give it a light sand to make sure there is a good connection.

Old Today | 01:04 PM
|
Sorry to revive that old thread, but I did more digging this morning.
I do have the 12V all the way down to the tailgate LED (the easiest one to access), but it won't turn on.
However, when I touch the pin on the LED with a fuse tester, the tester turns on (as expected) AND the tailgate LED turns on, along with all LED in the boot.
Any idea what could cause that behavior?
I did check the RH ground header inside the boot.
Thanks in advance!